5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Unknown Button

bluejay505

Reaction score
Hello,

I purchased a used 2020 Ram 1500 Rebel. I noticed a random blue button underneath the steering column by the OBD port. I also traced it back to a module and a harness connected to random wires throughout. Could anyone identify what this may have been used for? Looks like half the harness was cut and wrapped in electrical tape leading to a possible unit of some sort?

Thanks!

Attachments

• unnamed (1).jpg
    unnamed (1).jpg
    125.2 KB · Views: 188
  • unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    126.2 KB · Views: 188
  • Screenshot 2022-04-09 080210.png
    Screenshot 2022-04-09 080210.png
    254.6 KB · Views: 188

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I'd say some sort of a GPS tracking device. Can you get a better picture of the module the connector goes to? Maybe a part number or brand name

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Ugh so many t-taps. I would get all that crap out of there whatever it is and cover the holes in the factory wiring with liquid electric tape. Hopefully they didn’t comprise the integrity of any factory wires that close to a harness connection.

kdawg

Reaction score
I used Google image search and found this thread (see post #6 & #8). Looks like it's a KAAR security system. If you Google that you will see similar lookjng devices but with a green button.

kdawg

Reaction score
I think it's a KAAR security system.

I did a Google search on the image and found the same device in a RAV4 thread. I tried to post the link to the thread but I think the moderators blocked it. No I wasn't trying to sell CBD gummies lol.

If you google search KAAR security system, you will see similar devices but with a green button.

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score

I did a Google search on the image and found the same device in a RAV4 thread. I tried to post the link to the thread but I think the moderators blocked it. No I wasn't trying to sell CBD gummies lol.

If you google search KAAR security system, you will see similar devices but with a green button.
That’s weird. It says that I deleted that post, but I didn’t. Unless you’re cross-threaded with a spammer that I just nuked.
Just un deleted it.

Richard320

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
LA County, People's Republic of California

Maybe it just doesn't like you?
img_3325-jpg.167626

bluejay505

Reaction score
Well looks like I’ll be removing all this carefully. Hopefully none of the T-Taps severed the wires as this is pretty close to the plug itself which could make repair pretty difficult.

I am still going through inspecting the truck. Everything looks good except some bolts missing from the front bumper near the fog light bracket (Looks like the bumper was removed in the past and the previous owner may have lost some bolts)

Had to order several parts get everything back together.

1649550004001.png

jmt8706

Ram Guru
Reaction score
When in doubt about how it is all connected, I would just unplug it at the button, and stuff the wire in a crevice.

ZombieSlayer

Reaction score
If you're making payments, check your paperwork to see if disconnecting it is not allowed. Dealers use these in order to locate the trucks for recovery in case of non payment(s).

My friend disconnected his and 3 days later the finance department called and told him that he had to re-enable the tracker (it's in his contract that he has to keep it active until it's fully paid for).

JF19Longhorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If you're making payments, check your paperwork to see if disconnecting it is not allowed. Dealers use these in order to locate the trucks for recovery in case of non payment(s).

My friend disconnected his and 3 days later the finance department called and told him that he had to re-enable the tracker (it's in his contract that he has to keep it active until it's fully paid for).
Wow.. I've never heard of that before. Does he have a history of failing to pay loans or something?

Biggiehorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I had one of these installed on the first motorcycle I purchased a little over a decade ago. The dealer was upfront about it and said that the finance company required it. It was my first large purchase, and I had a very limited credit history at that time so they labeled me as a high risk. Stupid thing would drain my motorcycle battery within a few days of it sitting which was so annoying lol. I ripped it out as soon as I submitted my final payment.

But like mentioned above, make sure that you are allowed to remove it before doing so.

ZombieSlayer

Reaction score
Wow.. I've never heard of that before. Does he have a history of failing to pay loans or something?
No, this is in central CA where the nut jobs run things. He had decent credit and only a couple of late payments from a couple years back (he showed me his credit reports from TransUnion asking me if I could spot anything) and no repos or defaults.

Users who are viewing this thread