5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Unknown button

BearOso

Reaction score
Just trying to find out what this button might do. It is below the steering wheel. I press it and nothing happens with the motor on or off. I checked the manual and no info on it. It is on my brand new 2019 Ram Rebel with 350 miles. Any info would be greatly appreciated

PorBoy

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Are you able to take a photo a little further out ? My guess is that lighting was added in the bed and this may be the on / off switch ?

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
View attachment 34954
Just trying to find out what this button might do. It is below the steering wheel. I press it and nothing happens with the motor on or off. I checked the manual and no info on it. It is on my brand new 2019 Ram Rebel with 350 miles. Any info would be greatly appreciated
Definitely aftermarket. Alarm, lights, LoJack, etc.

PorBoy

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
My thing is it’s a vehicle with only 350 miles on it, someone had to authorize having that done to it. I know when my buddy bought his used car, they put a switch that every time he paid his payment, he had to push the switch to activate it for that month. I’m sure that is not the case here though.

R

Rob5589

Probably some kind of kill switch, installed by dealer to prevent lot theft. Or nitrous oxide :D

James1414d

Reaction score
It is most likely a dealer installed immobilizer. If that's the case, you most definitely paid for it! Check your paperwork. They like to sneak those in along with perma plate paint protection among others.

Huskymush

Reaction score
Definitely an aftermarket alarm that the dealership added on. Depending on the dealer they are pre-installed on all vehicles, then if you decide not to take that option they pull the controller unit"brain" out and just leave the rest.

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
View attachment 34954
I am not a gambler, but I'd money bet that is not factory. I'd be asking some questions of your dealer. Was this vehicle sold to you as used? Was it a demo?

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Silver Billet Laramie, Quad Cab, 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, 18 inch wheels. Build date: 17 April 2018. Now at 021044 miles.

j517

Reaction score
It's used to call ET in AREA 51 JK. Huntington Beach Doge sold me a demo unit as new raised hell they had to roll back deal. Also when my truck was there someone who worked at the stealership took it for a 200 mile joy ride and they never fixed it.

Service dep is a joke management is a joke sued them bought my second truck back and going to sue them again for falsifying the sales contract now. FRAUD ALERT.

Good luck bud

Sent from my SM-T830 using Tapatalk

spaightlabs

Reaction score
At least when they mounted it they did ****ty job and put it on crooked.

BearOso

Reaction score
Are you able to take a photo a little further out ? My guess is that lighting was added in the bed and this may be the on / off switch ?
Thanks, but the truck has a dedicated button on the light knob for the rear bed lights.

M

MJB4450

and they screwed it into your dash, I'd be raising H*LL with your dealer!
This is exactly why I seek out dealerships that do not add what they call "preloads", i.e. a list of aftermarket junk just to jack up profits. My local dealership adds $4K in preloads that probably cost then $500 if that. I usually buy 150 miles away in Phoenix (I live in Tucson) for the better deals in a larger market and there are a couple dealers who don't preload anything other than window tint. Every time I email a dealer for a quote I ask if they preload any alarms or ignition disabling devices and they alway reply with, "well you don't have to pay for them". To which I say that drilling holes into the dash and splicing up wiring on a brand new vehicle is what I consider damage. I'm looking to buy a new vehicle. No sale. They also like using the bogus excuse that their insurance requires it. So I tell them about the two dealerships I know of that don't preload and mention maybe they should get the same insurance they have. They never like that answer, but I do. I once had one of their cheap ignition disabling devices on a truck many years ago. I didn't pay for it so they deactivated it but left it in place since it only costs them $50. The intense heat in parked vehicles here finally disintegrated the cheap plastic device and left me stranded since it was still wired in but after it disintegrated it disconnected my ignition. Since then, no way. A clean unbutchered vehicle or I go elsewhere.

Last edited by a moderator:

sjsleuth

Reaction score
View attachment 34954

sjsleuth

Reaction score
It's got two screws got to be wires behind it Follow The Wire

Users who are viewing this thread