5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Unidentified Fluid Leak

MJP

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I noticed a few spots of what appears to be some oily type fluid on my driveway today. I didn't notice it for a while and had shifted the position of my truck a few times while cleaning so couldn't pinpoint exactly how it was oriented when the drips occurred. I crawled under my truck and everything looks dry. I did observe one part that had an oily substance on it but don't know what the part is. The attached picture shows what part I'm talking about. This was located in front of the passenger side rear wheel. Both sides have the same part but the driver side was bone dry. I don't know if it's suspension related or something else.

My apologies for what is probably a dumb question but I'm wondering if someone can identify it for me so I can somewhat intelligently speak to the mechanic.

I have a 2019 limited with air suspension if that helps.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_7770.jpeg
    IMG_7770.jpeg
    123.9 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_7769.jpeg
    IMG_7769.jpeg
    123.5 KB · Views: 19

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I noticed a few spots of what appears to be some oily type fluid on my driveway today. I didn't notice it for a while and had shifted the position of my truck a few times while cleaning so couldn't pinpoint exactly how it was oriented when the drips occurred. I crawled under my truck and everything looks dry. I did observe one part that had an oily substance on it but don't know what the part is. The attached picture shows what part I'm talking about. This was located in front of the passenger side rear wheel. Both sides have the same part but the driver side was bone dry. I don't know if it's suspension related or something else.

My apologies for what is probably a dumb question but I'm wondering if someone can identify it for me so I can somewhat intelligently speak to the mechanic.

I have a 2019 limited with air suspension if that helps.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
Right rear body isolator.

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Thank you. Does it have fluid inside and is it a big deal to have it repaired/replaced?
I would think that it is just a rubber isolator with no damping fluid in it, not sure about that.
As far as replacing, the body needs to be lifted off the frame enough to clear the isolator.

Body isolator

REMOVAL

Raise and support the vehicle, (Refer to 04 - Vehicle Quick Reference/Hoisting/Standard Procedure) .

For the driver side rear C-pillar isolator it will be necessary to release the brake master cylinder from the booster and position aside to get enough slack in the brake lines to lift the body up high enough to clear the isolator, (Refer to 05 - Brakes, Base/Hydraulic/Mechanical/MASTER CYLINDER, Brake/Removal and Installation) as needed.

Using an induction heating type tool, or equivalent, heat up each bolt to soften the thread locking compound on the bolt threads.

CAUTION:

DO NOT use power tools to remove or install the fastener(s). If power tools are used, damage to the vehicle or components may occur.

Remove the bolts (5, 6, 7, 9) from the side of the vehicle being serviced.

Loosen the remaining isolator to body bolts.

Using a suitable lifting device (1), lift the body to gain access to the isolators.

MJP

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I would think that it is just a rubber isolator with no damping fluid in it, not sure about that.
As far as replacing, the body needs to be lifted off the frame enough to clear the isolator.

Body isolator

REMOVAL

Raise and support the vehicle, (Refer to 04 - Vehicle Quick Reference/Hoisting/Standard Procedure) .

For the driver side rear C-pillar isolator it will be necessary to release the brake master cylinder from the booster and position aside to get enough slack in the brake lines to lift the body up high enough to clear the isolator, (Refer to 05 - Brakes, Base/Hydraulic/Mechanical/MASTER CYLINDER, Brake/Removal and Installation) as needed.

Using an induction heating type tool, or equivalent, heat up each bolt to soften the thread locking compound on the bolt threads.

CAUTION:

DO NOT use power tools to remove or install the fastener(s). If power tools are used, damage to the vehicle or components may occur.

Remove the bolts (5, 6, 7, 9) from the side of the vehicle being serviced.

Loosen the remaining isolator to body bolts.

Using a suitable lifting device (1), lift the body to gain access to the isolators.
There is definitely oil on the bottom of it. I'm trying to look it up. Looks like a big job based on your info. Doesn't sound good.

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
There is definitely oil on the bottom of it. I'm trying to look it up. Looks like a big job based on your info. Doesn't sound good.
I recall seeing a post here a while back where they had a similar situation, don`t know the outcome of it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/