5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Uneven tailgate cables?

Brad2064

Reaction score
I know this may seem odd, but I noticed when I put the tailgate down on my week old Longhorn, the tailgate cables were not even. Meaning, when the right cable is taut, the left cable has slack. This makes all the weight placed on the tailgate be supported by only the right cable. I tried putting weight on the left side to see if it was close to providing support/becoming taut and it wasn't close. I have not been to dealer yet, just seeing if this is common.

Brad2064

Reaction score
Edwards, thanks for the heads up, I must be using the wrong search words because I searched google and this forum and didn't find much. Can you let me know the terms you used to find this info?

troutspinner

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It's because of the assist down damper. My neighbor's Ford didn't come with one so he installed one of those DZ's assists. After, his cable on the assist side has slack.

Diamondback

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Edwards, thanks for the heads up, I must be using the wrong search words because I searched google and this forum and didn't find much. Can you let me know the terms you used to find this info?

I run into it all the time as well .. I have to pick like 3 or 4 different ones .. however, what I did notice it even if it shows the wrong search (for what you were looking for) there is a "Similar Threads" at the bottom .. I use that a lot too!

Jeff12

Reaction score
I know this may seem odd, but I noticed when I put the tailgate down on my week old Longhorn, the tailgate cables were not even. Meaning, when the right cable is taut, the left cable has slack. This makes all the weight placed on the tailgate be supported by only the right cable. I tried putting weight on the left side to see if it was close to providing support/becoming taut and it wasn't close. I have not been to dealer yet, just seeing if this is common.
I have the same thing. Haven’t discussed with the dealership yet.

Reighnman

Reaction score
I had this and asked dealership, he said it must be normal because all their trucks were like that but I didnt validate.

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It's because of the assist down damper. My neighbor's Ford didn't come with one so he installed one of those DZ's assists. After, his cable on the assist side has slack.

I can confirm it is not because of the damper. I switched cables from side to side (cables are identical in length). It's the welded in mounting points in the bed that are off. It's very common in the industry - I had a brand new Ranger as a rental in CO last week with the flimsiest tailgate I've ever run across. It had the exact same problem. I just laughed and shook my head.

troutspinner

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Interesting on not being the dampers. I always saw it as that as I seen how a DZ changed my neighbors. You'd think with the use of machines and robots that all of the weld locations would be perfect.

TheTank

Reaction score

TheTank

Reaction score
I noticed this as well on my 2019. Is this by design, do I need to have this looked at?

Diamondback

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Nope .. it is standard .. I posted the FCA sheet somewhere on here (another post).

They say: swap cables and if the same cable is loose, change it out.
If the same side of the tailgate is loose (meaning no matter what cable you put on that loose side), a new cable will NOT fix it.
"apply weight to the tailgate, if the slack goes away, it is functioning properly"
... Engineers are aware of the complaints, and are working on a fix. Watch for a TSB later.

FCA CASE S1923000004 (released 07/10/2019)

nightrain

Reaction score
I also have this issue on my 2019 2500. Has a service bulletin been released by FCA yet?

eyeguy

Reaction score
Just checked my 2020 laramie manufacture date 10/19 so they havent figured it out yet. My right is tight on passenger side and other is slack also. Will try to switch them later.

JustMe

Reaction score
I noticed this as well on my 2019. Is this by design, do I need to have this looked at?
Aww Geez Edith . . . can't you see I'm watching the Game ? Hey Meathead, go have that looked at !
. . . and with that I'll call it a wrap on my very 1st post under my newly assumed name . . .

Diamondback

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I also have this issue on my 2019 2500. Has a service bulletin been released by FCA yet?

EDITED 8-DEC-2019 due to latest Update (see next post)

Nope - see above reply and use the Star Pub for reference.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread