5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Uneven Stance: Truck sagging at Driver Side Rear

Cleave

Reaction score
Yesterday I had my buddy install the Motofab 2” level kit at his shop (‘20 Laramie 4x4, 6’4 bed, non- air, non ORG.) Said it went smooth, no issues. When I got time later in the day to really look it over, I noticed it appeared to be sitting high at the nose. I purposely chose the 2” kit vs. the 2.5 or 3” options because if it ended up with a small amount of forward rake, to me that would be ideal. So I took some measurements all around. To sum up: The passenger side does have about a 1/2” of forward rake, which looks perfect to me. Side to side up front, measure almost dead even, or within like a 1/8”. My problem area is driver side rear is approx 1/4-3/8” lower than then front and almost 1” lower than the passenger side. - so sagging in the rear, and leaning down from passenger to driver side. I re measured these corners 50x at varying parking lots in search of a perfect level surface. Air pressure is even at all corners on the stock bridgestones. The truck is factory ordered, I’ve had it for 10 days and it has 500 miles on it. I’ve searched every relevant post I could find on the forum. Supposedly Older gen dodges with worn out leaf springs had a “dodge lean.” May be common to see the driver side sit lower than passenger side because of heavier equipment including gas tank. Now I could see having a small difference with 33 gals of fuel. The truck currently has about a 1/4 tank. To me 1”+ of difference from side to side is pretty significant. I’m kicking myself for not measuring the corners prior to the level kit, but I’m fairly confident my issue on the one rear corner is not related to my front spacers. One post suggested it may be more of a body/ bed alignment issue than an actual suspension issue. Has anyone experienced a similarly large difference from side to side on a brand new truck? Are guys taking stock measurements prior to their suspension upgrades? What is an acceptable tolerance? I don’t know much about body panel fitment, but seems to me it’d be difficult to adjust or correct 1”. Thanks for any help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cleave

Reaction score
e06164886c7ac9d8c267bc95215e3671.jpg

16a8fe8a5097ffb6260821c586e1a141.jpg

Not sure if these photos do it justice, but a few that I’ve shown have agreed they can see a difference comparing driver side to passenger.

jabara572

Reaction score
What size gas tank and how much gas did you have? Pretty common to lean slightly driver due to the gas tank although yours seems excessive.

DIRTRIDER

Reaction score
Had the same exact issue after 2” motofab in my Rebel. Installed 1” spacer under driver side rear spring to level truck side to side.

Cleave

Reaction score
Had the same exact issue after 2” motofab in my Rebel. Installed 1” spacer under driver side rear spring to level truck side to side.

Hey thanks for the info. Did you happen to measure or notice how the stance was before the level kit?

E.Hands

Reaction score
I'd be interested to hear what the gaps between the bump stops and the rear axle are left and right. And on the front as well.
It could be that one the coil springs is not sitting correctly on it's pad?

Where are you taking the measurements? Have you laid a bubble level across the tailgate?

Last edited:

DIRTRIDER

Reaction score
Measured center of wheel arch through axle centerline, visually obvious rear was lower than front on driver side only, coil springs installed correctly, hate the front end high look.

E.Hands

Reaction score
Measuring the gaps at the bump stops would tell you if the issue is between the axle and frame or body and frame.
A one inch difference from left to right in the rear seem like a lot. A 5 foot bubble level across the tail gate and the laid on the ground would also be revealing.

5thGenRebel_AMK

Ram Guru
Reaction score
i've noticed this with my rebel as well on stock suspension. putting bilstein 5100's on it soon, curious to see how that will look.
I had this same issue on my 4th gen big horn with bilstein 5100's on all 4 corners. I'd always be looking at my truck when parked at gas stations wondering why it looks a little lopsided. drove me crazy.

As others have said, i just think its due to the truck having more weight on the driver side. You have the steering column and the gas tank there. Its not going to be an equal 50/50 weight distribution. Theyre pick up trucks, not Ferrari's lol

If something was actually wrong, i'm sure we'd feel it pulling in the steering, which i dont feel.

Mattdunne1985

Reaction score
Hey there. So spacer on driver side but not on passenger. How did that work out for you? Any issues at all?? I have about a 1” difference as well. Thought about doing that but don’t see anyone saying it was ok until I read this.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
This is the reason why they have adjustable coil overs to level the ride left to right, originally for motorsports to compensate for the difference in weight and spring rates.

In the old days, they would measure the spring stiffness and put the highest rates on the driver sides (heaviest side) to help level it out. Your options today are coil overs or spacers, but some people still do the spring rate thing.

Mattdunne1985

Reaction score
This is the reason why they have adjustable coil overs to level the ride left to right, originally for motorsports to compensate for the difference in weight and spring rates.

In the old days, they would measure the spring stiffness and put the highest rates on the driver sides (heaviest side) to help level it out. Your options today are coil overs or spacers, but some people still do the spring rate thing.
Ok. Yes I have adjustable on front end. It sits perfect on both sides. Just my rear driver side is an inch lower the the passenger. So I may just get one spacer for that side. Thanks.

DIRTRIDER

Reaction score
Hey there. So spacer on driver side but not on passenger. How did that work out for you? Any issues at all?? I have about a 1” difference as well. Thought about doing that but don’t see anyone saying it was ok until I read this.
1” spacer in left rear leveled my truck with no ill effects , over 50,000 on truck now

Users who are viewing this thread