5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Undercoating, required or not?

Ramster

Reaction score
Been out of the loop about this but wondering if people still have it done or has the paint process come along so far they don't need it anymore as long as you give it an underbody rinse evry now and then.

Damion

Reaction score
Paint processes may have gotten better, but will never match Mother Nature. Theres plenty of areas under / inside the panels of vehicles that salty water can get into.

Now if I lived in Texas / Arizona or the like I probably wouldn't bother, but being in good ole Atlantic Canada ill slather the undercoat on as much as possible. Even the air in my area has a high salt content.

Look at it this way, back 20-30 years ago the metal in vehicles ( or metal in general ) was thicker / made different, it don't take very long for an exposed piece of metal to rust beyond repair. Undercoat is a very cheap insurance policy against corrosion if applied properly.

Klute

Reaction score
I did it. Only b/c I plan on keeping this truck "forever" and it was a package 'deal' along with ceramic paint coat, Rhino spray liner, and cloth seat protection. As long as they DO NOT DRILL holes in order to apply the undercoating/rust prevention.

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I live in western New York State where road salt is the only thing more prevalent than taxes and corrupt politicians. I had two 4th gen Ram 1500s (2010 & 2014) and did not have them undercoated. After four years and 100,000 miles apiece, the body panels were amazing free of rust. Except for some external welds the frame was still 99% free of rust. I don't know what Ford and GM uses for frame paint, but after a couple of years they show lots of rust.

But I digress.

I have had my '19 undercoated/rustproofed (Ziebart) because I got a discount on the installation. Since I plan on keeping this truck beyond four years I thought it was a wise decision. Rustproofed vehicles, although not a 100% prevention, keeps rust away for an extended period of time in my experience. Anything you can do to put a boundary layer over the existing factory rust prevention is a plus.

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram DT 1500 Silver Billet Laramie, Quad Cab, 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, 18 inch wheels. Build date: 17 April 2018. Now at 021477 miles.

Ramster

Reaction score
From some of the posts under that video people said they sprayed motor oil underneath and never had any rust. Wheels are turning.

2019REBEL

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
From some of the posts under that video people said they sprayed motor oil underneath and never had any rust. Wheels are turning.

Motor oil would work but its not very environmentally good whereas the fluid film and Krown base is ok.

Klute

Reaction score
Just don't use a rubberized undercoating or bed liner that traps moisture, use an oil based product like fluid film or crown

The product used on my truck does not look anything like this rubber stuff in this video. Electrical connections are not sprayed either.

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just don't use a rubberized undercoating or bed liner that traps moisture, use an oil based product like fluid film or crown

First, Ziebart is not a rubberize coating. It is a petroleum based product that contains

NOTE: I am not nor have I ever been an employee of Ziebart or any Ziebart dealer/distributor.

After watching the video a couple of comments. First, Ziebart used on the outer body and frame is not a rubberized coating. It is a proprietary petroleum based tar product that contains, among other things, paraffin and viscoelastomers. The material used on the inner panels is almost clear and resembles 3M 08852 Cavity Wax.

I've seen 100s of vehicles with the Ziebart material installed and even after a few hours it loses any kind of shine. In the video the material on that truck was very shiny, causing me to believe it was not Ziebart.

I also have to mention that around here a 2012 or 2013 Silverado that's not had any kind of rust protection applied would have oxidation just like what was shown, where you could literally remove large sections of rust in sheets like in the video. A close friend once had a six year old Silverado that was starting to perforate through the frame just above the rear axle. My point is that in the case of GM truck frames I believe there's another dynamic in play, which I have not noticed on Ford trucks and Rams.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram DT 1500 Silver Billet Laramie, Quad Cab, 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, 18 inch wheels. Build date: 17 April 2018. Now at 021488 miles.

Klute

Reaction score
First, Ziebart is not a rubberize coating. It is a petroleum based product that contains

NOTE: I am not nor have I ever been an employee of Ziebart or any Ziebart dealer/distributor.

After watching the video a couple of comments. First, Ziebart used on the outer body and frame is not a rubberized coating. It is a proprietary petroleum based tar product that contains, among other things, paraffin and viscoelastomers. The material used on the inner panels is almost clear and resembles 3M 08852 Cavity Wax.

I've seen 100s of vehicles with the Ziebart material installed and even after a few hours it loses any kind of shine. In the video the material on that truck was very shiny, causing me to believe it was not Ziebart.

I also have to mention that around here a 2012 or 2013 Silverado that's not had any kind of rust protection applied would have oxidation just like what was shown, where you could literally remove large sections of rust in sheets like in the video. A close friend once had a six year old Silverado that was starting to perforate through the frame just above the rear axle. My point is that in the case of GM truck frames I believe there's another dynamic in play, which I have not noticed on Ford trucks and Rams.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram DT 1500 Silver Billet Laramie, Quad Cab, 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, 18 inch wheels. Build date: 17 April 2018. Now at 021488 miles.

I have with agree.

My B-I-L is a Chevy guy and all 3 of his over the past 12 years have had rust almost everywhere.

I have seen a few Fords with rust but nothing on the scale as the Chevys and older Rams.

My (3GEN)2002 Ram (no undercoating) had rust above the rear wheel wells, very common. My (4GEN)2011 Ram (no undercoating) did NOT have any rust until I traded earlier this year.

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have with agree.

My B-I-L is a Chevy guy and all 3 of his over the past 12 years have had rust almost everywhere.

I have seen a few Fords with rust but nothing on the scale as the Chevys and older Rams.

My (3GEN)2002 Ram (no undercoating) had rust above the rear wheel wells, very common. My (4GEN)2011 Ram (no undercoating) did NOT have any rust until I traded earlier this year.
Rust in the rear wheel arches is a real common problem around here, even on cars, and usually the first place to see rust-through. In cars it's an area that easily collects moisture, and the least affected area by moving air.

In trucks the same area gets quite a bit of air movement, but to the negative. Air currents also carry sand grit which builds up right where the rear wheel house comes in contact with the outer sheet metal. Over time, that grit hold moisture and moves ever so slightly causing the rust protection coatings to abrade through.

Best regards,
Dusty

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Fluid Film or oil based is what you want. If you get any kind of defect in a thick coating and moisture gets under it your going to have a problem when water and salt gets in their and sits whether or not it is a GM, Ford, Ram, or Toyota. Surface preparation is a big factor but unless your doing it yourself I'm not sure the big chains are going to take the time to clean everything the way they should.

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I did it. Only b/c I plan on keeping this truck "forever" and it was a package 'deal' along with ceramic paint coat, Rhino spray liner, and cloth seat protection. As long as they DO NOT DRILL holes in order to apply the undercoating/rust prevention.

What's wrong with drilling holes? Genuniely curious. My parents underoiled their car (1980 caprice) every year religiously, and they drill holes in the side of the doors so they can get their wand in there to shoot the oil around. Car looked great it's entire life. I've done the same thing to all my cars, and they all had holes in the side for the same reason. Am I missing something? Seems like it's very common to do that while under oiling cars.

Klute

Reaction score
What's wrong with drilling holes? Genuniely curious. My parents underoiled their car (1980 caprice) every year religiously, and they drill holes in the side of the doors so they can get their wand in there to shoot the oil around. Car looked great it's entire life. I've done the same thing to all my cars, and they all had holes in the side for the same reason. Am I missing something? Seems like it's very common to do that while under oiling cars.

I asked before mine was done and they said they remove lock parts to get access to the doors. He said drilling would increase the chance for rust. Takes a little more time but said it was worth it. Undercoating is alot like many other things. You can buy the most expensive HVAC but the install is bad you will have bad results.

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have to agree with Klute. Drilling a hole in the painted sheet metal will leave an area...small to be sure...unpainted and exposed despite the little plug they install.

But in the case of the DT Rams (2019), I find no reason to drill regardless. On the doors you can remove the rubber vent tube which comes off easily, and there are many plugs along the backside of the rocker panels that can be removed. The rocker drains are open and a tool can be inserted for spraying. When you open the hood there is a huge opening at the hinge-point for getting to the backside of the front fender.

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram DT 1500 Silver Billet Laramie, Quad Cab, 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, 18 inch wheels. Build date: 17 April 2018. Now at 021527 miles.

Users who are viewing this thread