5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Under dash corrosion

SemperGumby

Reaction score
Long time no see everyone. So I had to look for the interior fuse panel because I thought my wireless charging pad wasn't working (turns out they are just very sensitive to positioning), but while attempting to look for the right fuse (what a nightmare it is under there, I just gave up and kept moving the phone around until it worked on the pad) I happened to notice what I can only describe as corrosion.

Anyone seen something similar to this?

Attachments

• PXL_20220226_192503143.jpg
    PXL_20220226_192503143.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 101
  • PXL_20220226_192541862.jpg
    PXL_20220226_192541862.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 103
  • PXL_20220226_192644044.jpg
    PXL_20220226_192644044.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 104
  • PXL_20220226_192651761.jpg
    PXL_20220226_192651761.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 100
  • PXL_20220226_192712558.jpg
    PXL_20220226_192712558.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 100
  • PXL_20220226_192733024.jpg
    PXL_20220226_192733024.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 100
  • Wow
Reactions: mch
Reaction score
Just had 3 wires that were green with corrosion replaced, not sure where but caused huge problems

Scap

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That's pretty common, actually. My Ford looked like that under the dash. It's inside the cab and out of sight, so the factories save pennies not using any coatings on that steel.

SemperGumby

Reaction score
Hoping some others with 2019s can comment if they are seeing the same thing.

jkm312

Reaction score
Are you in a wintry, wet part of the country. In and out of the cab with wet boots/shoes etc.
Decent floor mats in that the carpet does not get wet?
Is the carpet and padding underneath dry?
Have seen post here with wet cabs because of faulty weld seams between the cab side and main body.
Just asking some questions for you to consider.
I've not seen anything like that in my 19, but I will take a closer look and let you know.
What part of the cab is that you are showing?

Choate

Reaction score
When I was researching how to use the security bypass cable I came across a guys post who had the same thing. I was surprised on my truck which came off a lease in Michigan doesn’t have that at all. It’s a 2019. I wonder if it’s from using the floor vents all the time allowing more moisture in?

SemperGumby

Reaction score
Are you in a wintry, wet part of the country. In and out of the cab with wet boots/shoes etc.
Decent floor mats in that the carpet does not get wet?
Is the carpet and padding underneath dry?
Have seen post here with wet cabs because of faulty weld seams between the cab side and main body.
Just asking some questions for you to consider.
I've not seen anything like that in my 19, but I will take a closer look and let you know.
What part of the cab is that you are showing?
We get decent snow and rain, but honestly don't drive enough during those times that I'd expect this. I could see if I didn't park in the garage at all and was going through puddles or deep snow then getting in the truck multiple times a day. And I have the Mopar all weather mats, under those is dry.

This is looking up from the bottom of driver side floor mat, you'll see the braces that the cover attaches to.

SemperGumby

Reaction score
When I was researching how to use the security bypass cable I came across a guys post who had the same thing. I was surprised on my truck which came off a lease in Michigan doesn’t have that at all. It’s a 2019. I wonder if it’s from using the floor vents all the time allowing more moisture in?
It's very rare that I ever switch from auto climate, I'll have to test out how much air is coming out of the floor vents with it vs selecting floor specifically.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
They’re just pieces of untreated steel- they’re all going to rust eventually. The OP’s is kind of fast, but not surprising for FCA.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
They’re just pieces of untreated steel- they’re all going to rust eventually. The OP’s is kind of fast, but not surprising for FCA.
It's not just FCA vehicles. I've had Hondas, Chevys, and Fords with rust in this area of the dash structure. Now I'm wondering if my 12 year old Audi has rust here too. :unsure:

Dookie

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm in south La, one of the most humidified air in the world here and my 19 doesn't look anything like that, very little barely surface rust on the same pieces. I bought my truck with 4 miles on the odometer, now have 33k...did you buy it used? May have had a water leak into the cab at some point from rear window surround crack, sunroof drain clog or mispositioned, and third brake light is the three most common that I have seen posted. I wouldn't say what this looks like is "commonplace", at least nothing I have seen. I recall the post already mentioned on here about another that looked like this too, but that's it. When I saw that post, I checked mine and 2 other friends' trucks plus our delivery 2500HD 6.4L and none of them looked anywhere near like this.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
It's not just FCA vehicles. I've had Hondas, Chevys, and Fords with rust in this area of the dash structure. Now I'm wondering if my 12 year old Audi has rust here too. :unsure:
Yeah, definitely. I've seen a bunch of customer vehicles (when I was younger) with that rust. Thank god I don't have to do heater cores any more, or work on vehicles for a living for that matter.

SemperGumby

Reaction score
I'm in south La, one of the most humidified air in the world here and my 19 doesn't look anything like that, very little barely surface rust on the same pieces. I bought my truck with 4 miles on the odometer, now have 33k...did you buy it used? May have had a water leak into the cab at some point from rear window surround crack, sunroof drain clog or mispositioned, and third brake light is the three most common that I have seen posted. I wouldn't say what this looks like is "commonplace", at least nothing I have seen. I recall the post already mentioned on here about another that looked like this too, but that's it. When I saw that post, I checked mine and 2 other friends' trucks plus our delivery 2500HD 6.4L and none of them looked anywhere near like this.
Had it since new, also 33k miles. I had the surround crack but never noticed the floorboard front, or rear, wet. Very odd.

41magmag41

Reaction score
I'm wondering if you bought it used that it might be a flood truck? Any electrical problems

Bigbags85

Reaction score
I'm surprised at all of the "this is really common" stuff. I have never seen that happen and I took my 99 Civic apart last summer to swap the ignition switch.

ferraiolo1

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Just because it wasn’t on your old civic doesn’t meant it’s not common on newer vehicles.

It’s happened to most of mine. It’s untreated metal. It’s coming to develop surface corrosion if there is moisture in the cab.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bigbags85

Reaction score
Just because it wasn’t on your old civic doesn’t meant it’s not common on newer vehicles.

It’s happened to most of mine. It’s untreated metal. It’s coming to develop surface corrosion if there is moisture in the cab.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I understand that I was just using that 23yr (edit: maybe 24?) old car as an example. I have never seen that on any vehicle I've owned. I will say on these Rams I am kind of concerned about the rear door checks. Seems like there's always ice in them but no moisture anywhere else on the inner door frames. Idk how it's getting in there (no it's not from snow falling from the top of the door).

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I understand that I was just using that 23yr (edit: maybe 24?) old car as an example. I have never seen that on any vehicle I've owned. I will say on these Rams I am kind of concerned about the rear door checks. Seems like there's always ice in them but no moisture anywhere else on the inner door frames. Idk how it's getting in there (no it's not from snow falling from the top of the door).
What are rear door checks?

Users who are viewing this thread