5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Under bumper LED cubes

aimlowrobin

Reaction score
first mod to my new 2020 was a couple LED cubes under the back bumper. I've had these on the last 3 trucks I've owned and they are so handy, I'll likely have on every truck.

I wired them to come on anytime the bed cargo lamp is on, via the wire in rear driver side door jamb. This means they come on when truck is unlocked, tailgate opened, etc but I can hit the cargo switch when needed backing up.

One issue I encountered was that the lights would flash on and then all associated lights would go out until I cycled the ignition. No blown fuses. With some research I found that the truck monitoring system (cbc) will shut down the circuit if overloaded. Never had this issue on my 19 or previous, but the solution was to wire in a relay.

Attachments

• 20200506_205232.jpg
    20200506_205232.jpg
    133.6 KB · Views: 149
  • 20200506_205149.jpg
    20200506_205149.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 148
Last edited:

Fkrueger1

Reaction score
Is that wire white with a tan line? I have a 2020 1500 and am looking to put bed leds in using the same approach.

BostonBLS

Reaction score
Where did you tap into the cargo light?

I was going to add a switch for mine but this is way better. Great idea utilizing that light.

aimlowrobin

Reaction score
which wire? picture?
White with tan line. Didn't take any pix of install.

Take off the door sill trim, there is a plastic tray under there with a bundle of wires. Cut the tape wrapped around the tray that keeps the lid on so you can pull the lid up to access the wires.

I grounded the lights to the frame. Ran the power wire along rhe frame up to the cab. Entered the cabin thru a plastic access plug near the rear door, under the back seat. It puts the wire abkut 6 inches under the floor carpet, but you can snag it with a hook or coat hanger.

Users who are viewing this thread