5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Uh Oh... purchased an Airstream and don't know my GCWR

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Theres been many of these “can I tow this” tnreads on differing forums, to include rv ones. Mostly there’s 2 camps. The first is that no 1500 should be used to tow anything more than a single axle trailer. The 2nd is that the new 1500’s have such strong frames, large brakes and solid drivetrains that they can pull trailers up to and even slightly over their rated maximums fairly easily, especially on more level roads and not going 80. (You see it all the time on the roads, and I rarely see anything other than trailers with blown-out tires... and thats cheap rubber as opposed to an overloaded truck.)

I used to be firmly in camp #1, having a old gas 3500 to tow a wood framed 24’ TT with a family of 4 on board and never thought about weight, just wasn’t an issue. While the truck could tow/carry a lot, it was an uncomfortable riding pig (8 mpg) and even with 4.10’s struggled (due to 190 hp and low torque) to climb the hills. The Chevy 400 sb wasn’t an especially strong tow engine, compared to our hemi.
Give me my current Limited to tow that same trailer. Keeping speeds down (65 on the freeways) and using a properly set up WDH would have enabled me to pull it fine. Way more comfortable too.

I’m over being concerned about every payload and GVWR chart. People will pull 30+ footers with their cushy 150/1500’s all day long, it’s just reality.
The OP has made the tire change (good idea), hopefully gets a good WDH, keeps speeds down and doesn’t fully load up on water and un-needed stuff, then he should make it to where he wants to go ok, especially if it is only a few times a year. Do this on a regular basis then go get a 6.4 2500 gasser.

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
Just to add to my post above, this off an rv forum (jaycoowners.com) dated 9-22-2020:

Don’t forget Payload

“I read many of these posts and find many different opinions and different advice. I just always share my personal experience and hope it ads food for thought.

We have a 2019 White Hawk 28RL with a dry weight of around 7900+/-. I was towing with a 2018 Toyota Tundra 2wd Crewmax with the off-road and tow package. 5.7l. I had plenty of horsepower to pull the trailer, but the truck rear would bottom out when I had any significant bump while going down the highway. I added airbags to the rear that helped with the squat, but would still tend to bottom out on larger bumps.

I then had an experience with a u-haul attempting to pass me with in coming traffic. I needed to get shut down and on the shoulder quickly, needless to say, since I am writing this, my DW and I made it through the experience but it left a lasting mark.

We bit the bullet and upgraded to a 2020 Chevy 2500HD. Payload problem solved, ability to stop greatly improved, much more stable towing platform. 1/2 ton trucks can tow trailers of this size and I do understand a persons need to stay with a 1/2 ton as a daily driver. However, if you plan to camp quite a bit and cover any distance while doing so, give payload as much or more consideration as you do towing capacity. I now tow with much less stress and enjoy our long trips much more.”
End of copied post

Do note that this reply states the trailer is 7900 lbs dry. He never gives a wet weight but you can presume another 1K plus. Also this is a TT not a 5ver, thus even less payload eating weight. Its his statement about stopping that gives me pause, as well as stability during emergency handling. That’s more of the issue with 150/1500’s, they are short/low on both important areas.
Don’t get caught in the “tail wagging the dog” problem. Balance your trailer length and your truck wheelbase/weight.

Any modern half-ton can pull/tow these trailers, they all have the raw power. It’s the handling and stopping that make trips “white knuckle” or not.
Pull what you want, just be sane about it as it doesn’t just affect you.

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
Hold the presses! I just saw this picture of a Chevy Trailblazer towing a 38’ motorhome on a dolly, so I guess my Ltd can tow the space shuttle, just like the Tundra did.
Go ahead boys and girls, buy whatever weight and length trailer you want. It’s all good! (Found this signature: “My truck can tow 20,000 pounds. I can tow 40,000 pounds of chickens if I just keep half of them in the air at all times.”)
1604270313215.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/