5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Uconnect.

bill

Reaction score
Hey guys this is for Ram owners doing uconnect upgrades. If you do not already have nav in your truck (such as bighorn) it ia very hard to upgrade. I bought 12.1 display module and lvds cable. And still would not work. It has to be programed to truck with sales code by dealer. Dealships will not do it on a self install, nor will mopar sell u a module. Might be ok if you know a dealer.

bill

Reaction score
Do you plan on getting your dealer to flash your truck?
Mine is a rare story. When i bought my truck it was advertised with nav. When i got home there was none. I did not make a stink because the salesman is a friend. I seen the 8.4 touchscreen and assumed nav because my 2016 was like that. After trying to not be able to install without dealer failed, i came down on dealership. They are going to get the parts and fix my nav. The muti-media module i ordered from Factoryradioparts seems to be the exact module for the 12.1 display. #68307655AD Still not sure if its the same for 8.4. Also the display #68317978AH should be the same. Everything you install on the Ram trucks has to be programed to the computer. They got us. Thanks for all the help i received from you guys.

cmdr bobert

Reaction score
Are you saying it's feasible without a dealer to upgrade from 8.4 Nav -> 12 Nav provided you have the right parts?

riccnick

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Mine is a rare story. When i bought my truck it was advertised with nav. When i got home there was none. I did not make a stink because the salesman is a friend. I seen the 8.4 touchscreen and assumed nav because my 2016 was like that. After trying to not be able to install without dealer failed, i came down on dealership. They are going to get the parts and fix my nav. The muti-media module i ordered from Factoryradioparts seems to be the exact module for the 12.1 display. #68307655AD Still not sure if its the same for 8.4. Also the display #68317978AH should be the same. Everything you install on the Ram trucks has to be programed to the computer. They got us. Thanks for all the help i received from you guys.

Was it "advertised" on the window sticker?

bill

Reaction score
Was it "advertised" on the window sticker?
No only by salesman. I knew there would be questions about why i did not look closer. The first new ram i bought was a 2014. It did not have nav. It also had a small 3.5" screen. Traded it in 2016 for new ram. It had nav and an 8.4 touchscreen as does the one i have now. So i just thought because of the 8.4 and a salesman i knew well that it was there.

Jared B

Site admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Are you saying it's feasible without a dealer to upgrade from 8.4 Nav -> 12 Nav provided you have the right parts?

I have talked to the guys at infotainment.com and I know they are currently working on a retrofit kit for 8.4 equipped trucks to go to the 12 inch screen.

bill

Reaction score
Long thread elsewhere and the answer appears to be 'no'....
What i know is if the truck did not come with nav then there is no sales code in the vin to support nav. When you try to install the radio know as a module, it will not work without dealer help. I find this to be the case on any electrical option you install. If you install a navigation module it has to have the module serial number programed into the truck computer. As far as i can tell if you have nav then the sales code is already in your system, and it should be able to upgrade display to 12.1. I will have solid info by next week. I have my dealer working with me.

bill

Reaction score
I have talked to the guys at infotainment.com and I know they are currently working on a retrofit kit for 8.4 equipped trucks to go to the 12 inch screen.
Yes i am aware of this also. No matter what kind of protection auto makers use, someone always finds a way to bypass it. I have also spoke to infortainment. Not sure who is aware but several things such as heat&a/c, several lighting, signal lights, and several others work thru ram radio. I found this when i tried to install hid headlights in my 2014ram. After buying wiring harnesses, relays, ans everything that was suggested it still would not work. Finally i found that using canbus ballast only worked. Ram has some sort of power strip in there trucks that make self install hard.

Jared B

Site admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes i am aware of this also. No matter what kind of protection auto makers use, someone always finds a way to bypass it. I have also spoke to infortainment. Not sure who is aware but several things such as heat&a/c, several lighting, signal lights, and several others work thru ram radio. I found this when i tried to install hid headlights in my 2014ram. After buying wiring harnesses, relays, ans everything that was suggested it still would not work. Finally i found that using canbus ballast only worked. Ram has some sort of power strip in there trucks that make self install hard.

The issue with putting HID headlights in a Ram is needing a canbus module as with most never vehicles, starting in 2015 it got even harder due to the pulse width modulation electrical system. Like you said there is always a bypass.

I actually have an program called AlfaOBD that I have been playing with on my 2016 Ram for the past week, it allows you to add all the dealer sales codes so you can add features without having to get the dealer to program them, set headlight type to LED or HID to eliminate the canbus issues, reprogram tire size and a whole lot more. I will actually be covering the program in depth soon. It doesn't look like it supports the 2019 Rams yet but I'm sure it will in the near future.

bill

Reaction score
The issue with putting HID headlights in a Ram is needing a canbus module as with most never vehicles, starting in 2015 it got even harder due to the pulse width modulation electrical system. Like you said there is always a bypass.

I actually have an program called AlfaOBD that I have been playing with on my 2016 Ram for the past week, it allows you to add all the dealer sales codes so you can add features without having to get the dealer to program them, set headlight type to LED or HID to eliminate the canbus issues, reprogram tire size and a whole lot more. I will actually be covering the program in depth soon. It doesn't look like it supports the 2019 Rams yet but I'm sure it will in the near future.
I remember my first experience with a g m ignition module and computer in 1975. Getting the codes from cars. Along comes someone who figured out how to take a paper clip short out the computer watch the engine and count flashes. Hah codes. It will all be figured out by someone.

lmattus

Reaction score
have anyone installed the 12 inch display and get it to work with alphaobd by any chance ??

lmattus

Reaction score
This thread is pretty old. I can’t answer your questions because I’m pretty new here, but check out https://www.infotainment.com/
I’m pretty sure it can be done now.
i know its possible because this guys are doing it , the only reason is I can have the parts for half of the price in another place the problem is that they are not going to work because its not programmed

lmattus

Reaction score
or is anyone know whos selling just the obd codes to get it to work

Users who are viewing this thread