5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Uconnect updates causing battery drain?

Kunnari

Reaction score
I'm hoping that somebody can help point me in the right direction. I have a 2021 1500 Laramie with the 12-inch Uconnect screen. Beginning around the start of summer, my radio would on occasion repeatedly cut out every 5 seconds or so, lasting 2-3 seconds. It didn't matter what the input was----XM, FM, AM, Bluetooth. It all kept randomly cutting out. In addition, the backup camera was mirrored---left became right and vice versa. Thinking that the Uconnect was trying to update, I brought it in to the dealer and they performed an update. No issues after the visit to the dealer. Fast forward a couple months and the radio started acting up again. This time, I went out to my truck at work and the battery was dead. I got a jump-start, and it ran fine. Running, it has no voltage loss. I took the truck to a local repair shop to test the battery and the battery tested fine. However, pulling a cable to test battery draw, he noticed something draining the battery. For the next few days, every time the truck sat, the battery would drain and it wouldn't start. Back to a jump-start, and everything is fine. I took it to Autozone to have the battery tested again, and it tested fine. Thinking that Uconnect may be trying to update when the truck is off, I pulled the fuse for it. No issues or battery drain with the fuse pulled. Put the fuse back in, and immediately the battery drain returned. I'm back to having the fuse pulled and running with no Uconnect until the dealership can get me back in.
Sound familiar to anyone?

Brunzca

Reaction score
Following..my xm has started cutting out for 5 seconds at a time or so over the past week. And it’s happening multiple times in a row, then will be ok for a while, but then happens again. Not a signal issue, as it works perfectly fine through the app on my phone, it’s specific to the truck radio. No backup camera or streaming via usb issues, just XM. Interested to see what you find out.

Tallus

Reaction score
Hardware issue in the radio module. See my other post

Kunnari

Reaction score
Interesting. Well, it goes into the dealership tomorrow, so I will see what they determine.

Users who are viewing this thread