5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

UConnect screen turns off when I press the power switch on the volume knob

FastBlackRam

Reaction score
UConnect screen turns off when I press the power switch on the volume knob. Is this supposed to happen? It turns right back on if I press the power switch again. I am talking BLACK screen, no backlight. This is different than the "turn off screen" button. That one turns off the screen but you can still see a backlight on the screen and it comes right back on like its supposed to.

Dr. Jim

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My UConnect screen turns off when I press the volume control as well. I assume that's normal.

FastBlackRam

Reaction score
That's one of my peeves. Try to turn off the radio and you turn off everything. Depending on your view, it's a design feature or a design flaw.
Well its easy to workaround for sure if you consider it a flaw. I am either spinning the knob to reduce the media volume to 0, or pressing the mute button at the bottom left bezel. In summary it seems to work like so:
  1. Pressing the power button turns off the DISPLAY completely, including the touchscreen. You can't bring it back any other way except pressing the button again. It also seems to return to right where you left off.
  2. Pressing the DISPLAY OFF button blanks the display, but leaves the touchscreen active. You can bring the display back by touching it or touching the button you used to turn it off.
What I need to test more is if it continues to navigate to a destination in the background with the power off from the power button for instance. I am suspecting it does keep going in the background.

Richard320

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
LA County, People's Republic of California
Well its easy to workaround for sure if you consider it a flaw. I am either spinning the knob to reduce the media volume to 0, or pressing the mute button at the bottom left bezel. In summary it seems to work like so:
  1. Pressing the power button turns off the DISPLAY completely, including the touchscreen. You can't bring it back any other way except pressing the button again. It also seems to return to right where you left off.
  2. Pressing the DISPLAY OFF button blanks the display, but leaves the touchscreen active. You can bring the display back by touching it or touching the button you used to turn it off.
What I need to test more is if it continues to navigate to a destination in the background with the power off from the power button for instance. I am suspecting it does keep going in the background.
I figured out the volume business by myself. The mute doesn't work --- it comes right back at full volume the next time the truck is started. I'm one of these old geezers who doesn't need or want music playing constantly.

I haven't experimented with the nav and the off button.

BEBO

Reaction score
UConnect screen turns off when I press the power switch on the volume knob. Is this supposed to happen? It turns right back on if I press the power switch again. I am talking BLACK screen, no backlight. This is different than the "turn off screen" button. That one turns off the screen but you can still see a backlight on the screen and it comes right back on like its supposed to.
Same here! Drives the wife crazy.

moosem

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Correct. Press the power button and it turns the power off. Press it again to turn it back on.

R

Rob5589

Mine does the same thing; power off, it's off, power on and it's back on :LOL:

Being serious, I think you are mistaking the power button as only controlling the radio portion of the system. Your options are, volume to 0 or keep it on the "media" setting to avoid any music at start up.

Users who are viewing this thread