5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Uconnect and Etorque debate

Creep0321

Reaction score
Looking for some guidance/advice in the area of uconnect and etorque.

I’m trying to figure out all the differences/advantages of the different Uconnect systems and wether or not to order the etorque.

I understand the 8.4 non nav is basic but does have CarPlay? Does it have the apps that allow you to unlock/start from your cell?

8.4NAV, is the only upgrade the NAV? Which I probably wouldn’t use (CarPlay) or are their other benefits as well?

12” other than the obvious huge and awesome screen are there any additional benefits? How has the freezing problems been?

Lastly the etorque. Obviously a got debated topic but I’ll post bellow what I’m looking at purchasing, my commute will be roughly 20 miles each way, 80/20 highway/city plus additional city on weekends, estimate overall 50/50. At some point in the future the wife would like to get a travel trailer (my logic behind the 3.92 rear end) so any advice on the etorque or anything else I have listed (or not) would be appreciated.

-1500 Laramie, 4x4, Crew Cab, 5’7”
-Hemi (debating etorque or not)
-3.92 rear end
-33gal tank
-Off road group
-Sport Appearance Package
-Bed Utility Group
-Granite crystal met. Paint
-Black interior sport bucket seats
-Rear under seat storage
-Front and rear floormats
-Trailer brake controller
-MOPAR hard folding Tonneau for rambox
-maybe some black sidesteps?

19RamLimited

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I suggest that you get Nav at a minimum. Reason being it has the telematics and allows control of locks and remote start if you have that from an app on your phone. You can’t add the telematics after easily at least.

The 12” is awesome to me. I haven’t had any issues and those that have I believe had early builds and software. It works great and just WOW when you get in you just have so much real estate there for use. Especially in carplay I love I can have google maps on top and media such as sat radio display on the bottom including the album art. The only short fall of the 12” so far and has yet to be seen if an update will come to enable this is in the app you do not have the info section that shows fuel level and tire pressure. Pretty frustrating since the ones that buy the 12” expect the ultimate in tech from RAM . They say an update is coming but we all know how that goes.

The base 8.4 does have car play and android auto but that’s all it has

I don’t have any experience with e torque. I’ve read some have it and see no difference with it other than it adds stop start. So other than that I can’t add anything.

I didn’t see you mention power deploy boards. I think those are a must.

Also the RAM boxes . I didn’t get them but days go buy I wish I had.

I always say if you’re going to buy a vehicle buy what you can afford and what you want.

MJP

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Looking for some guidance/advice in the area of uconnect and etorque.

I’m trying to figure out all the differences/advantages of the different Uconnect systems and wether or not to order the etorque.

I understand the 8.4 non nav is basic but does have CarPlay? Does it have the apps that allow you to unlock/start from your cell?

8.4NAV, is the only upgrade the NAV? Which I probably wouldn’t use (CarPlay) or are their other benefits as well?

12” other than the obvious huge and awesome screen are there any additional benefits? How has the freezing problems been?

Lastly the etorque. Obviously a got debated topic but I’ll post bellow what I’m looking at purchasing, my commute will be roughly 20 miles each way, 80/20 highway/city plus additional city on weekends, estimate overall 50/50. At some point in the future the wife would like to get a travel trailer (my logic behind the 3.92 rear end) so any advice on the etorque or anything else I have listed (or not) would be appreciated.

-1500 Laramie, 4x4, Crew Cab, 5’7”
-Hemi (debating etorque or not)
-3.92 rear end
-33gal tank
-Off road group
-Sport Appearance Package
-Bed Utility Group
-Granite crystal met. Paint
-Black interior sport bucket seats
-Rear under seat storage
-Front and rear floormats
-Trailer brake controller
-MOPAR hard folding Tonneau for rambox
-maybe some black sidesteps?
I love the 3.92s. If you plan to tow anything get it. I havent towed anything yet but still like the added power on take off. Etorque opinion are split 50/50. If you never have an issue I guess people love it. The first time yours fails and is stuck in the shop for over a month awaiting repairs you'll regret not going straight 5.7. I personally would stay away until it's out for a while and FCA figures out how to diagnose issues and repair it. For now its hit or miss approach. Anyway, you may get lucky and get one that's trouble free. Your call.

19Jake

Reaction score
12" is a must have...forget etorque
IMG_2585.JPG

Gatornation9999

Reaction score
I have the 12” and love it. It takes maybe 2-3 days to get used to all your controls being on there, but once you do it becomes as easy to navigate as your iPhone. I was thoroughly impressed with the user experience design and functionality.

I also have the power running boards and love them. My wife and my parents /in-laws love them too because it’s so much easier to get in and out. Even compared to normal tubular running boards. The power ones drop much lower, IMO. One piece of advice if you do get them. Don’t have them deployed when going through the car wash. I made that mistake and one ripped off.

Creep0321

Reaction score
So after looking at the build n price tool again. I would love the 12” but the required lvl 2, roughly a 4K increase for just the 12” screen that I do want, and another 1k for the power running boards. I wish both of those options were available without the level 2 package.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19RamLimited

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So after looking at the build n price tool again. I would love the 12” but the required lvl 2, roughly a 4K increase for just the 12” screen that I do want, and another 1k for the power running boards. I wish both of those options were available without the level 2 package.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think you will get rebates and possibly a discount though. And trucks with these features more than likely are on a lot somewhere that youd be more than likely to get a better deal than if ordered.

MJP

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have the 12” and love it. It takes maybe 2-3 days to get used to all your controls being on there, but once you do it becomes as easy to navigate as your iPhone. I was thoroughly impressed with the user experience design and functionality.

I also have the power running boards and love them. My wife and my parents /in-laws love them too because it’s so much easier to get in and out. Even compared to normal tubular running boards. The power ones drop much lower, IMO. One piece of advice if you do get them. Don’t have them deployed when going through the car wash. I made that mistake and one ripped off.
I agree that the 12" is a must. I love it. Most screens out there are impossible to see. The 12" helps when the eyes begin to go. I also love the running boards. They are more functional than the fixed boards as they drop down lower making it easier to step on. Some fixed boards are so high they don't really do much to help as they sit right under the sill. I end up just using the sill in most trucks/SUVs. My only concern is more electronics means more stuff to break down the road.

VaderRebel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Most upper trims have the 12" available, so if the biggest and best are your thing, why not.

You couldn't pay me to get eTorque. Just waiting for the first news story of some Limited with eTorque on fire in a mall parking lot .

Users who are viewing this thread