5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

UConnect 8.5 Sound and other Issues

WRH

Reaction score
I've had a few problems with my UConnect and usually restarting the truck takes care of it. When I disconnected the battery, it took a bit longer for everything to get right again.

Today when I started the truck, I had no audio and the volume meter would not move when twisting the volume. I restarted the truck, and the AM/FM worked, volume moved when turning, but no Sirius audio. When I tried to connect to my iPhone (bluetooth or wired), the connecting Bluetooth screen came up and would never go away. Also, the nav map would come up but stayed locked as if I was sitting in my driveway.

Anyone seen funky stuff like this? I'm hoping after sitting a couple hours everything is back to normal... but dang!

I have upgraded my stereo. I pulled the ANC (I have the 6 speaker) and it's been working great for a several months. I can't imagine that is the issue... it's just sending the audio to a DSR1 instead of the ANC.

Frustrating...

WRH

Reaction score
After sitting for 4 hours I tried during lunch and it's all working now. Wonder how often something like this happens?

Billet1500 4x4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
After sitting for 4 hours I tried during lunch and it's all working now. Wonder how often something like this happens?
I have yet to own a vehicle that didn't have an occasional hiccup in the almighty infotainment system. Why manufactures think this is where the need to integrate every last aspect of the vehicles operation is beyond me. I did notice on my last truck (GMC) that intellilink started wigging out really bad when the battery had issues. I wonder if the current draw from your after market amp is upsetting things. not sure about the Ram but I know GM used 6 different software controlled routines for monitoring and controlling the charge of the battery depending on charge status, temperature, RPM, load and a few other things. When it started sensing charging issues is when the intellilink issues started. Perhaps your new connections to the battery to run your amplifiers is putting noise back on the electrical bus of the truck and screwing with things?

WRH

Reaction score
It would surprise me if my amp is throwing off my system. I wouldn't completely rule it out, but I began with the standard 6 speaker system and my amp isn't massive (I fall way short of needed an auxiliary or supplemental battery for the system). My voltage has never been an issue. But yeah, anything is possible with these newer vehicles. Adding devices to draw power from the battery though is a pretty basic feature.

I had minor issues before I upgraded my stereo... so I'm not real surprised something happened again. As long as it stays infrequent I won't be too worried. Anything with a computer in it that I've used has demonstrated occasional frustrating behavior...

Billet1500 4x4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It would surprise me if my amp is throwing off my system. I wouldn't completely rule it out, but I began with the standard 6 speaker system and my amp isn't massive (I fall way short of needed an auxiliary or supplemental battery for the system). My voltage has never been an issue. But yeah, anything is possible with these newer vehicles. Adding devices to draw power from the battery though is a pretty basic feature.

I had minor issues before I upgraded my stereo... so I'm not real surprised something happened again. As long as it stays infrequent I won't be too worried. Anything with a computer in it that I've used has demonstrated occasional frustrating behavior...

Yup never had one that hasn't required a few power cycles to reset itself. I'm not so much talking about the current draw. Most devices people add are DC power. Amps are a different beast they are taking DC converting to AC to get a sine wave to drive the speakers but ultimately have to get back to the ground side of the system. Where did you ground your amp? If you grounded it in the cab the ac portion of that power is passing through a lot of shared grounds before getting back to the battery. I'd run a direct ground from the amps back to the negative terminal on the battery and close that loop.

WRH

Reaction score
Ah, interesting. If I have continued problems I may need to explore some thing like that. Hopefully this is a rare issue that I won't see often. Thanks for the suggestion!

Billet1500 4x4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Ah, interesting. If I have continued problems I may need to explore some thing like that. Hopefully this is a rare issue that I won't see often. Thanks for the suggestion!
Yeah, a lot of digital communications going on in these things so electrical noise can be problematic. I'm sure if you rolled into the dealer with your aftermarket stereo system they'd say well there's your problem see ya so if it starts acting up often that would be the first thing I tried to remedy it.

danny0550_1

Reaction score
I've had a few problems with my UConnect and usually restarting the truck takes care of it. When I disconnected the battery, it took a bit longer for everything to get right again.

Today when I started the truck, I had no audio and the volume meter would not move when twisting the volume. I restarted the truck, and the AM/FM worked, volume moved when turning, but no Sirius audio. When I tried to connect to my iPhone (bluetooth or wired), the connecting Bluetooth screen came up and would never go away. Also, the nav map would come up but stayed locked as if I was sitting in my driveway.

Anyone seen funky stuff like this? I'm hoping after sitting a couple hours everything is back to normal... but dang!

I have upgraded my stereo. I pulled the ANC (I have the 6 speaker) and it's been working great for a several months. I can't imagine that is the issue... it's just sending the audio to a DSR1 instead of the ANC.

Frustrating...

Hi,
I'm new here but thanks to this forum I found out of the ANC problem on my truck. I took it in for service like two weeks ago and they did an update on the module and the issue is gone. They also kept my truck for a week because they were sending info back and forth between the dealer and Dodge. Anyway, I also have the standard 6 speaker system. I upgraded all the speakers to Infinity Reference. I read on your post that you have a DSR1 working with the 6 speaker system. I bought one as well but can't figure out how to connect it. I talked to the people at Maestro and I was told that suave my truck didn't have an amplifier instead it had an ANC module that they didn't have a way to setup the DSR1 but that they were working on it. Can you tell me how you got yours to work?

WRH

Reaction score
Hi,
I'm new here but thanks to this forum I found out of the ANC problem on my truck. I took it in for service like two weeks ago and they did an update on the module and the issue is gone. They also kept my truck for a week because they were sending info back and forth between the dealer and Dodge. Anyway, I also have the standard 6 speaker system. I upgraded all the speakers to Infinity Reference. I read on your post that you have a DSR1 working with the 6 speaker system. I bought one as well but can't figure out how to connect it. I talked to the people at Maestro and I was told that suave my truck didn't have an amplifier instead it had an ANC module that they didn't have a way to setup the DSR1 but that they were working on it. Can you tell me how you got yours to work?
Sorry, just saw your question. You'll run it in Universal Mode but use the CH4 harness (iDatalink HRN-AR-CH4). Yeah, they tell you it won't work, but it works. And (at least when I did mine) it's the easiest way to tap in. Disconnect all jumpers from the ANC under the seat and plug in the CH4. You'll need to look at the diagram of the CH4.... front channels are the same but the rear channels are different. Instead of matching the colors up, you'll use the Universal wires for the rears. Works like a charm.

You'll need to run a switched power line from your fuse box to turn on the DSR1, the lead from the Ram harness won't do it for you. It's easy though, right up under the steering wheel. I can't remember which fuse I tapped in to and I'm out of town for a couple weeks or I'd send you pics of that and the two wires you have to tap for rears speakers.

Users who are viewing this thread