5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Uconnect 5 Software Will Be Coming To The 2022 Ram 1500 Lineup:

EMS_Pilot_66

Reaction score
Hey all, Hemidakota asked this in the Order Tracking thread and I accidentally got just a bit carried away in my take on the improvements in the Uconnect system, so I copied it all below. I'd love to get your takes on the features and if you think I'm pretty spot on or way off base, in your opinion, on my opinions, lol.

So here are the new things for Uconnect 5 and (at least my opinion) how "neat/relevant" they are:
1) Personalization (up to 5 different user profiles): Not really that important. I mean, who else is going to be driving your truck? haha
2) Personalized/customized home screen w/ cards: Meh. I'm sure the standard home screen layout is fine.
3) Better hardware for faster operating response time: I haven't had any previous Uconnects in my 2005 Mitsubishi Eclipse so I can't really speak to this, but if it's like a new cell phone upgrade every year where the device is "30% faster" or "6 times faster" or w/e...I'm sure I won't be able to tell the difference.
4) Alexa commands in the car or from the house to the car: This is actually pretty cool and something I wish I would get but it is certainly a convenience thing and not something that should make or break the truck purchase, right?
5) Wireless Apple Carplay and Android Auto: This is definitely something that would just make hoping in and driving "easier" rather than plugging your phone in, because that takes an extra 7.5 seconds from your morning/afternoon. But I've seen a whole thread dedicated to this dongle that plugs into the truck and when you get in it connects wirelessly to your phone, so correct me if I'm wrong here but the industry gave us a fix to this before Ram did for approximately $100.
6) Better voice recognition and microphone placement for rolling with the windows down...and the ever so deafening rain on the windshield(?): Again, first time getting into a new vehicle in 15 years, with the exception of my wife's 2015 Nissan Pathfinder, so someone else is going to have to tell me if the current 2021 voice recognition and microphone placement is detrimental to the point of non-usability. I will say though that the 2015 Pathfinder voice recognition was pretty terrible and we never even tried using it after the first 3 days, but to be fair, I think that was still before this technology was really all that improved.
6a) Wake up word for your truck "Hey Ram, change the temperature to 70 degrees": Ok ok, pretty neat and it keeps your hands on the wheel and your eyes on the road, or your knee under the wheel and your hands on your burger and fries but still. Although, I'll be more impressed when I see a list of what's capable with this feature. If all I can do is change the temperature, well, I smell a gimmick.
7) Connecting 2 phones via Bluetooth simultaneously: Is anyone wanting/needing this? I thought the rule was that the driver controls the radio...
8) Tom-Tom map and navigation: Wait, I thought we were getting Uconnect 5 for the wireless Apple Carplay and Android Auto so we could use our phones navigation? But boy that 3D map navigation sure did look cool. If only I lived somewhere that had buildings tall enough to make 3D...
9) Dynamic range to tell you how far you can get until your E really means E: Ok you got me here. This one is pretty freaking cool. If I took a lot of long trips to random places this would be sweet, but I pretty much have my set places of travel and I know how far I can go (and before y'all say anything, yes I will have to relearn this distance in the new truck). But generally, even if I'm just cruising down the road and not really paying attention, the little beep and the subsequent yellow gas light comes on in plenty of time for me to find a gas station...I haven't ran out yet.
10) Multi-lane guidance: Again, Google maps anyone? I would have to check but I think Apple maps does this now too.
11) The Uconnect Market in-vehicle commerce platform for ordering food and reserving tables: Just taking a poll here, how many people live in an area where this is even usable? I'm fairly small town and it's easier/quicker to just call on the phone to make a reservation than finding the restaurant in an app and searching for a table reservation just to find out they don't support that and then having to call anyway...but maybe all you big city slickers just wet your britches a little when you saw this feature, lucky you.
12) 4G LTE Wi-Fi hotspot: Only 4G?? This is a 5th gen Ram in 2022, 5G or bust people! The payments on this baby is going to be enough, I don't need another data plan for my truck, lol.
13) Over the air updates: For when they got it wrong on rollout! haha
14) Telematics Box Module: Are they saying this will eventually allow an over the air update that will allow my truck to drive itself? Could it be possible, maybe. Would they just throw this out there for free? I doubt it. I'm not sure it wouldn't need some more sensors or controls anyway. Besides, I'm pretty sure we're another 10 years out before self-driving cars are truly mainstream, and I'm willing to bet just about anyone reading this forum would rather drive their truck themselves than let a computer have all the fun.

I guess to sum it up, if I had to pick one feature to sell Uconnect 5 on, it'd be talking to Alexa when I get lonely in the truck by myself...

Ok guys, really sorry this turned out to be WAY longer for a response than I thought when I started, but that's my take on the improvements for the 2022 with regards to just Uconnect 5. I would really like anyone else's perspective in case I'm way off base or someone can convince me that Uconnect 5 is indeed worth its weight in gold and I just don't know it yet.
I also realize this is probably...definitely the wrong thread so I'll post this over in the Uconnect 5 thread also.
Good luck enjoying those new features for the 3 month trial.

Thread 'RAM Connect (MY22+ trucks)'

Assistance + Navigation Package(3 month trial)

Remote Vehicle Operations

Connect to your car no matter where you are. The Ram Mobile App is an essential tool for Ram vehicle owners. With this one app, you’ll have more control of your vehicle, more convenience in your day and more peace of mind than you ever thought possible. Take driving to a whole new level, whether you’re in the driver’s seat or not.

Alexa Vehicle Assistant

Command your vehicle from the comfort of your home using only your voice. Simply ask Alexa on an Alexa-enabled device to start/stop the engine, lock/unlock the doors, check tire pressure, flash the lights and more. With available TomTom Navigation, you can also ask Alexa to find restaurants, gas stations and other destinations and then send the addresses directly to your vehicle for added convenience.

Drive Alerts

Drive Alerts helps promote safer driving and gives you peace of mind when your loved ones are out on the road. You can set boundary limits, monitor driving speed, and pinpoint your vehicle’s location at any point and any place.

Send Destination to Vehicle

Use your vehicle’s mobile app to search for a destination or point of interest, then send the address directly to your vehicle’s navigation system – from home, work or anywhere else. By the time you get behind the wheel, your car will be ready to take you where you want to go!

Last Mile Navigation

Because there’s not always a parking spot outside the restaurant or coffee shop, Last Mile Navigation provides walking directions from your parked vehicle to your final destination – or from your destination back to your parking spot – by seamlessly synchronizing your vehicle to your compatible smartphone or wearable device.

Alexa Built-In

With Amazon Alexa Built-In for the Uconnect® 5 radio in your vehicle, you can have the convenience of the Alexa features you enjoy at home, now on the go. Just ask Alexa to play music and audiobooks, place calls, get directions, set reminders and more – all without taking your hands off the wheel or eyes off the road.

Google Vehicle Assistant

Command your vehicle from the comfort of your home using only your voice. Simply ask Google on any device with Google Assistant to start/stop the engine, lock/unlock the doors, check tire pressure, flash the lights and more. With available TomTom Navigation, you can also ask Google to find restaurants, gas stations and other destinations and then send the addresses directly to your vehicle for added convenience.

Smartwatch Extension

Check on your vehicle as easily and conveniently as you check the time. Select Connected services can be accessed through your compatible smartwatch when it’s paired to your smartphone and vehicle app.

TomTom Navigation

Never fumble for directions on your smartphone again. Uconnect® 5 with TomTom Navigation is an intuitive and advanced navigation system offering the most up-to-date map and location technology available.

TomTom Traffic and Travel Services

From accurate ETAs to instant reroutes based on real-time traffic flow, your navigation map will come to life with TomTom Traffic & Travel Services, a feature that provides increased convenience by integrating up-to-the-moment travel information seamlessly into your journey.

Remote Map Updates

Remote Map Updates keep your Uconnect® system current with the latest street and highway changes, saving time and finding fuel on the most direct routes

Advance Search

New points of interest are created all the time. Advance Search is an always-up-to-date online search solution.

Dynamic Range Mapping

How far can you go with the fuel you have left? Find out with Dynamic Range Mapping, a graphic representation of your current vehicle range using built-in navigation.

392DCGC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I will be attempting the swap on my 2017 2500, which already has a 12” UC4 transplanted into it. I already have the conversion harness built, and I have the part numbers for the radio module and screen. Just waiting for them to become available to buy. I’m fairly confident it’ll work out.
Nice! Hadn't heard of anyone installing the 12" in an older vehicle like that. I did have personal experience doing an upgrade with a 2016 Charger Hellcat where I upgraded to the 2017+ uConnect (current gen 8.4") and that went without much of a hitch... though I remember reading guys with 2015s had to buy an extra module to maintain vented seat functionality, if I remember correctly. Hopefully uConnect 5 will be a seamless swap... but given it's using an entirely new OS, I won't be surprised if there's problems or if it's not possible.
Will also full screen Android Auto work? or split screen use, for example Waze above and another app via Carplay/Android Auto below
Doubtful. Android Auto support generally sucks among carmakers, and the app itself is pretty crap too. I used to be a Google fanboy, but can't stand most of what they're doing now. Most of the stuff they put out is half-baked, AA included. Split-screen app support is not something I've seen offered by either system.
Yes it looks like there will be full screen usage for AA/CP. Plus the standard we’re used to now, 1/2 screen usage.
Unless you have specifically read support for AA, it likely isn't coming. Just because they built support for one doesn't mean they did for the other.

Jtr

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm I reading this right? No longer have to subscribe to Uconnect app and just use google assistant for free to remote start?

Liquid Li0n

Reaction score
here you will see a little bit of the Uconnect 5 on the 12" screen...

Does anyone found already a full review of this 12" Uconnect 5?

Users who are viewing this thread