5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

UConnect 5 12" - Fails to turn on

TXRAMLaramie

Reaction score
Unfortunately I'm having issues with my UConnect 5 12" screen (brand new 22 Laramie, had it about 2 weeks). On 7/11 and 7/13 (today), it has not turned on at all when I turned the truck on first thing in the morning.

I tried turning the truck off and back on, nothing. I tried holding down the volume and tune buttons for at least 30 seconds, nothing.

The radio still works but the entire 12" screen is black and unresponsive.

Anyone have any suggestions on things to try to get it to work? Thanks in advance!

tgram

Reaction score
I had that happen several times on my new 22 Limited (about 6 months old now). After the last update was applied (I had several so far and each downloaed over air and automatically popped up prompting me to update) I reset everything to factory settings (somewhere in menus) and fortunatelly it has not happened again since. Still not convinced it will never happen again but slightly more optimistic at this point. By the way, after the screen would not come on I also could not do anything. It somehow fixed itself after I turned the car on and off a few times (completely random how long it took to 'fix itself').

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
When it does that to me, I hold the power button for about 30secs. I hear a quietish speaker pop and then the system reboots. I’ve had those actions work several times.

TXRAMLaramie

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I haven't had it prompt an update yet.

I'll try the power button hold next time it happens and see if that works.

May end up back at the dealership to see what they have to say.

wills446

Reaction score
I've had my truck (22 Laramie GT) for just over 2 months and I had this problem constantly up until a week ago. My Uconnect system was running a software version that was several versions back from the latest update. No matter what I tried, my truck would never get an Over The Air update like it is supposed to. I connected it to my home wifi and nothing. Let it idle in the driveway connected to wifi several times for up to 30 minutes and also nothing. I set up the trial of the wifi hotspot in the truck and connected it to that, still nothing.

I saw a post on here where someone posted the latest software update so that you can put it on a USB flash drive and update that way. I did that a week ago and knock on wood, my screen has worked every time since then. Here's the post if you're interested:

At first I tried using a Mac to format the USB and put the zip file there and it didn't work in the truck at all. Re-did it on Windows and it worked immediately.

Edit: version numbers just in case it is helpful:
Truck had this version of Uconnct 5 when I bought it: FCA-MY22.S21C.6-PROD
Upgraded it to this version via USB: FCA-MY22.S24.13-PROD

TXRAMLaramie

Reaction score
I've had my truck (22 Laramie GT) for just over 2 months and I had this problem constantly up until a week ago. My Uconnect system was running a software version that was several versions back from the latest update. No matter what I tried, my truck would never get an Over The Air update like it is supposed to. I connected it to my home wifi and nothing. Let it idle in the driveway connected to wifi several times for up to 30 minutes and also nothing. I set up the trial of the wifi hotspot in the truck and connected it to that, still nothing.

I saw a post on here where someone posted the latest software update so that you can put it on a USB flash drive and update that way. I did that a week ago and knock on wood, my screen has worked every time since then. Here's the post if you're interested:

At first I tried using a Mac to format the USB and put the zip file there and it didn't work in the truck at all. Re-did it on Windows and it worked immediately.

Edit: version numbers just in case it is helpful:
Truck had this version of Uconnct 5 when I bought it: FCA-MY22.S21C.6-PROD
Upgraded it to this version via USB: FCA-MY22.S24.13-PROD

Just checked mine, it is: FCA-MY22.S23.13-PROD. Thanks for the great info. I will try to follow the same steps to update.

When mine does work, it tends to be glitchy. It will randomly switch pages and the TomTom nav only works maybe 75% of the time. Luckily the Apple CarPlay nav works.

Houstontiger

Reaction score
Same thing happened to me on my 22 Longhorn. I had tried everything including turning the truck off/on, locking/unlocking doors but to no avail. Finally I had opened the driver's door and held the power button down while the truck was off. Heard a pop, turned on the truck and it worked. Hopefully it will work for you guys.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online