5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

uConnect 12.1 update (July 2020 update) effectively makes HD radio unusable

rkfoote

Reaction score
If you haven't done the latest update and you use HD Radio, fair warning....

Prior to the update when using the HD radio it would switch between HD Radio and 'normal' radio seamlessly if the signal was better/worse (to the extent that I never really noticed unless really listening for it. The audio would become clear/less clear and the HD radio icon would light up).

After the update, when switching between HD and normal, there is a 3-5 second time leap in the audio. If driving in an area with spotty HD coverage it will continue to skip forward/backward in time (so annoying). Only way to prevent it as of now is to turn off HD radio.

Ticket has been filed with uConnect. If you experience the same issue I'd encourage you to file a ticket as well to raise the visibility.

rkfoote

Reaction score
Software Version: 20.06.13
Application version: USA-SBX-12.1-LR-34.2.0-20200205-L0RM
HD tuner fw version: J6PRM000-CTP2_VP4-33000001-EV011.021

WilburNJ

Reaction score
Interesting. I haven’t gotten this update yet, so my software version is still 20.04.19. However, my application version and HD tuner firmware is the same as your current versions. So assuming your HD firmware didn’t change with this update, it’s odd that you’re having problems receiving HD broadcasts. Anyway, good luck getting it fixed. Best, Will

STR

Reaction score
Updating Uconnect is always a gamble... I struggled w/this decision on my Gen 4. Sometimes they worked w/improvements, and sometime they make things worse.

I’m completely happy w/everything... apps, audio, etc., on my Gen 5 and may never update it :D

djjr50

Reaction score
I just got this update last night! It was my first update since getting the truck back in December. Funny enough, it happened after my first trip to the dealer last Thursday/Friday.

I will have to pay more attention but I dont listen to HD channels that have a non-HD channel to go back to.

InspectahPat

Reaction score

Prior to the update when using the HD radio it would switch between HD Radio and 'normal' radio seamlessly if the signal was better/worse (to the extent that I never really noticed unless really listening for it. The audio would become clear/less clear and the HD radio icon would light up).

After the update, when switching between HD and normal, there is a 3-5 second time leap in the audio. If driving in an area with spotty HD coverage it will continue to skip forward/backward in time (so annoying). Only way to prevent it as of now is to turn off HD radio.

Ticket has been filed with uConnect. If you experience the same issue I'd encourage you to file a ticket as well to raise the visibility.

Same here. Also having issues with Apple car play after the latest update.
I can no longer hear my text messages, make phone calls or get navigation voice directions when using Apple car play.
How do I file a ticket?

djjr50

Reaction score
Any new features?
Not that I have noticed yet. I havent seen the Pandora option that others have and I havent tried voice search.

But I do believe the icons have been revised for a cleaner appearance.

djjr50

Reaction score
I can no longer hear my text messages, make phone calls or get navigation voice directions when using Apple car play.
How do I file a ticket?
Probably want to contact Uconnect.

Also, after the update, my volume was REALLY low. I noticed in Android Auto, I couldnt hear the voice assistant. A quick flick of the volume knob fixed it for me.

FastBlackRam

Reaction score
Updating Uconnect is always a gamble... I struggled w/this decision on my Gen 4. Sometimes they worked w/improvements, and sometime they make things worse.

I’m completely happy w/everything... apps, audio, etc., on my Gen 5 and may never update it :D
Be forewarned: When mine updated, I did not have a choice. The update was mandatory and didn't give me a way to decline it. I could defer it to later that same day, but not decline it.

Barqs

Reaction score
How do I file a ticket?

I'm having the same issue. Thought it might have been an iOS update, but now I need to go out and check my Uconnect firmware version and see if it updated on me recently.

Ortiz7983

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Mine stopped talking when on navigation using Apple Maps but I realized it was on mute. I unmuted and there she was. I’m running iOS 14 Beta on a iPhone 11 Pro Max and it’s still working flawlessly even with this new uconnect update.

MsBrwnsugar

Reaction score
Did the update Sunday. Got back in Ram Wednesday and no Siriusxm. They can't figure it out either.

mtvrwe2003

Reaction score
How do I file a ticket?

Dude I’m in the same boat you are in who do we contact I’m livid that my stuff isn’t working after the update.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtvrwe2003

Reaction score
Dude I’m in the same boat you are in who do we contact I’m livid that my stuff isn’t working after the update.

I read on here somewhere just turn the volume up when your supposed to hear something like when a message comes thru. I did and it worked for me

mtvrwe2003

Reaction score

I read on here somewhere just turn the volume up when your supposed to hear something like when a message comes thru. I did and it worked for me

ADJS

Reaction score
So, as far as anybody can tell, this latest OTA update does nothing but break functionality. This makes me livid. Forget the MSRP of the vehicle, this is ONE 12 INCH RADIO. There is absolutely no excuse for us to be having all of these problems. There isn't 14 different models of 12 inch radios (unless they did that to themselves). These software updates should be often and actually fix things. I want to know where my check is for all the beta testing. I had 1 year of garbage guardian. Never. Worked. Once. Ill get guardian again when they give me another free year AFTER they make it work properly. Or did they fix it unbeknownst to me?

FastBlackRam

Reaction score
Is there a set of release notes for this update? It would be nice to know what they intended to update. So we can know where to look for new features/improvements/differences.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
No issues here. Online voice search now works great (no Guardian required). Only update I've received OTA (was on v. 18.27.17).

Users who are viewing this thread