5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ucconect 5 12" screen TomTom Maps crashing FIXED !!!!!!

firemedic10584

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My wireless carplay occasionally fails to connect or will randomly disconnect unless I put the phone in the cradle at the front of the console before I start the truck and leave it there. I've found even moving my phone back a couple of feet and sitting it on the center arm rest might cause it to disconnect. If I leave it in my pocket it will fail to connect or disconnect almost every time.
hmm. I'm gonna have to try this tomorrow to see if it makes a difference.

DWM

Reaction score
I have a new 2023 ram limited and my Navigation screen keeped crashing and after many many attempts to fix without bringing it to a dealer I have finally fixed it !!!!!!!
Below are the steps I took and not sure if all of the were required but it did work so this is the latest recommended way as of 8/30/23
Step 1.) Shut off phone and leave it in the house away from vehicle
2.) Get into vehicle shut the door and start the vehicle
3.)on the bottom of the screen hit the "VEHICLE" button
4.) On the Top right of that screen hit
"SETTINGS" button
5.) On the left of that screen scroll down to and hit the "RESET" button
6.) Now on that screen do not hit the top one restart radio because we've tried that and just reboots the radio which is fine for some issues but not this one so go to next selection which is "RESET APP DRAWER TO DEFAULT ORDER" hit that reset it and go to next " RESTORE SETTINGS TO DEFAULT" hit it, hit yes and go to next selection "CLEAR PERSONAL DATA" hit it, hit yes and go to next
"RESET WI-FI PASSWORD FOR PROJECTION" Hit it, hit yes and go to next "RESET PERFORMANCE VALUES" hit it, hit yes and finally hit
"FACTORY RESET" and reset your system and voila !!! Working maps !!!!!
7.) Let it run for awhile and do "NOTHING" in an attempt to let everything update properly! On mine it was the next day
I did bring my phone into the truck but "connected nothing" I started getting messages like "your relevant maps have been updated" started seeing details I haven't seen before and knew I must be on a newer or working version but still I changed nothing!!!
It wasn't til the 3rd day that I started to enter a user profile and that was just an avatar that i entered and then connected my phone via Bluetooth for audio and phone calls and noticed those icons were now lit up where previously they were not and eventually it asked to add android auto and i did so
*THINGS I NOTICED*
*I do not have the button that says "UPDATE OVER WIFI" checked off * and will "LEAVE IT OFF" because that is what could have prevented my system updates !!!!
I also did not change my wifi name or password yet because again these things could be what started the problems being that the system was trying to update over the systems wifi instead of the way it was intended to update which is "over the air" so I will leave that button UNCHECKED
I will slowly make my personal settings so if something does go wrong I can easily return to the previously working state and probably write down changes and dates but again thinking the "update over wifi" could be the problem
Let me know if you have the nav crashing problem did you also have that button checked ????
Followed your instructions to the T. All looks like its working no TomTom every 5 to 7 minutes will wait a few days before adding phone or CarPlay
Thanks for the information.

HurleymanRoyBoy

Reaction score
SOLVED! This worked for me. I followed the steps yesterday. I left the truck running for about an hour. When I shut it off I still did not have the Power Steps control and a few other things. About another hour later I started the truck again and the Power Steps and the other missing items appeared. I think it would be wise for anyone trying this to take a cautious approach when adding/changing more than one thing at a time and then retest the Nav before doing another change. That's pretty much what Murder Ram did and I appreciate that advice. I'll add, be patient and don't do this when you are in a rush. You rock Murder Ram!

Ready Go

Reaction score
My wireless carplay occasionally fails to connect or will randomly disconnect unless I put the phone in the cradle at the front of the console before I start the truck and leave it there. I've found even moving my phone back a couple of feet and sitting it on the center arm rest might cause it to disconnect. If I leave it in my pocket it will fail to connect or disconnect almost every time.
Same problem here..so frustrating!

Ready Go

Reaction score
Hey, has anyone else noticed this about the wifi on the Ram trucks...

I had initially programmed my 2024 Laramie to connect to my 2g and/or 5g wifi, because I thought that's how any Ram software updates would occur. (I should have remembered that my Challenger did OTA updates and my screen would ask me to accept these updates).

Here's what was happening when the Ram wifi was turned on...

Every time I left home in the Ram, when I came home my Kaspersky App would tell my I had "new connections" to my wifi...and when I would open the App, I'd have approximately 6-8 ghost routers and 6-8 unknown wireless devices attached to my wifi!! I'd clear them out, but they'd be back every time I left and came back..so figured I had to be the Ram.

I finally decided this was too much hassle to have the wifi set up on the Ram, so went into the Ram settings and disconnected and forgot the wifi for my profile.

Now, there is only 1 ghost router and 1 unknown wireless device that pops up every time. I'll have to go back and see if my wife's profile is still showing the wifi is connected on her profile.

Just wondering if anyone else has noticed this? I can't for the life of me figure out why so many ghost routers and wireless devices would be created from the Ram(?!).

I will say, this is the most finicky software I've ever come across!
There could be some user error issue also, admittedly, but I usually can find the issue and work out the solution.

I'm gonna try doing this full reset after Christmas and start over again, thanks Murder Ram!

Last edited:

turboramjet

Reaction score
I have a new 2023 ram limited and my Navigation screen keeped crashing and after many many attempts to fix without bringing it to a dealer I have finally fixed it !!!!!!!
Below are the steps I took and not sure if all of the were required but it did work so this is the latest recommended way as of 8/30/23
Step 1.) Shut off phone and leave it in the house away from vehicle
2.) Get into vehicle shut the door and start the vehicle
3.)on the bottom of the screen hit the "VEHICLE" button
4.) On the Top right of that screen hit
"SETTINGS" button
5.) On the left of that screen scroll down to and hit the "RESET" button
6.) Now on that screen do not hit the top one restart radio because we've tried that and just reboots the radio which is fine for some issues but not this one so go to next selection which is "RESET APP DRAWER TO DEFAULT ORDER" hit that reset it and go to next " RESTORE SETTINGS TO DEFAULT" hit it, hit yes and go to next selection "CLEAR PERSONAL DATA" hit it, hit yes and go to next
"RESET WI-FI PASSWORD FOR PROJECTION" Hit it, hit yes and go to next "RESET PERFORMANCE VALUES" hit it, hit yes and finally hit
"FACTORY RESET" and reset your system and voila !!! Working maps !!!!!
7.) Let it run for awhile and do "NOTHING" in an attempt to let everything update properly! On mine it was the next day
I did bring my phone into the truck but "connected nothing" I started getting messages like "your relevant maps have been updated" started seeing details I haven't seen before and knew I must be on a newer or working version but still I changed nothing!!!
It wasn't til the 3rd day that I started to enter a user profile and that was just an avatar that i entered and then connected my phone via Bluetooth for audio and phone calls and noticed those icons were now lit up where previously they were not and eventually it asked to add android auto and i did so
*THINGS I NOTICED*
*I do not have the button that says "UPDATE OVER WIFI" checked off * and will "LEAVE IT OFF" because that is what could have prevented my system updates !!!!
I also did not change my wifi name or password yet because again these things could be what started the problems being that the system was trying to update over the systems wifi instead of the way it was intended to update which is "over the air" so I will leave that button UNCHECKED
I will slowly make my personal settings so if something does go wrong I can easily return to the previously working state and probably write down changes and dates but again thinking the "update over wifi" could be the problem
Let me know if you have the nav crashing problem did you also have that button checked ????

I tried this today and it has worked well so far. I can now navigate to an address I enter. Before I would enter an address, but tomtom would not compute a route. It would sit for about a minute and crash. I have not added my phones yet. Remember to turn on traffic flow in the nav settings after the reset.
I took my truck to dealer last week to get the nav system fixed or replaced, but the dealer returned the truck after 5 days stating they didn’t find any problem. I picked it up and drove right back in to to show them the problems again and they kept it for an hour before stating I would have to leave it for more diagnosis. I told them I would schedule it again when they could provide a free loaner.
I will try a different dealer if this doesn’t work. Hope my phone (iphone 15 pro) will Work. It usually works for a day, then the system fails to receive or send messages or show recent calls.

FYI 2023 Ram 1500 Laramie with 12” nav system
Update
iphone 15 pro works now. Remember to show notifications in bluetooth uconnect settings.
With notifications off i get a feature not supported /phone not compatible pop up when choosing messages.
messages. IMG_5428.jpeg IMG_5427.jpeg

Last edited:

Dgulia

Reaction score
I did have nav crashing problem before I checked the update over Wi-Fi button
But now I am trying this solution and hope it works

Users who are viewing this thread