5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ucconect 5 12" screen TomTom Maps crashing FIXED !!!!!!

Murder Ram

Reaction score
I have a new 2023 ram limited and my Navigation screen keeped crashing and after many many attempts to fix without bringing it to a dealer I have finally fixed it !!!!!!!
Below are the steps I took and not sure if all of the were required but it did work so this is the latest recommended way as of 8/30/23
Step 1.) Shut off phone and leave it in the house away from vehicle
2.) Get into vehicle shut the door and start the vehicle
3.)on the bottom of the screen hit the "VEHICLE" button
4.) On the Top right of that screen hit
"SETTINGS" button
5.) On the left of that screen scroll down to and hit the "RESET" button
6.) Now on that screen do not hit the top one restart radio because we've tried that and just reboots the radio which is fine for some issues but not this one so go to next selection which is "RESET APP DRAWER TO DEFAULT ORDER" hit that reset it and go to next " RESTORE SETTINGS TO DEFAULT" hit it, hit yes and go to next selection "CLEAR PERSONAL DATA" hit it, hit yes and go to next
"RESET WI-FI PASSWORD FOR PROJECTION" Hit it, hit yes and go to next "RESET PERFORMANCE VALUES" hit it, hit yes and finally hit
"FACTORY RESET" and reset your system and voila !!! Working maps !!!!!
7.) Let it run for awhile and do "NOTHING" in an attempt to let everything update properly! On mine it was the next day
I did bring my phone into the truck but "connected nothing" I started getting messages like "your relevant maps have been updated" started seeing details I haven't seen before and knew I must be on a newer or working version but still I changed nothing!!!
It wasn't til the 3rd day that I started to enter a user profile and that was just an avatar that i entered and then connected my phone via Bluetooth for audio and phone calls and noticed those icons were now lit up where previously they were not and eventually it asked to add android auto and i did so
*THINGS I NOTICED*
*I do not have the button that says "UPDATE OVER WIFI" checked off * and will "LEAVE IT OFF" because that is what could have prevented my system updates !!!!
I also did not change my wifi name or password yet because again these things could be what started the problems being that the system was trying to update over the systems wifi instead of the way it was intended to update which is "over the air" so I will leave that button UNCHECKED
I will slowly make my personal settings so if something does go wrong I can easily return to the previously working state and probably write down changes and dates but again thinking the "update over wifi" could be the problem
Let me know if you have the nav crashing problem did you also have that button checked ????

KcRay

Reaction score
Nice write up. The TomTom map on my 23 limited 12" has a blank blue space up top. It did this after I did a factory reset for a dropping Bluetooth connection problem. That seems to be good now, but still the blue part of the map remains, even after more factory resets.
Going to try this as soon as I get time

Last edited:

vtorres1224

Reaction score
Hi, I am having the same issue with the tomtom navigation system crashing on my 2023 Ram 1500 Limited. I will try your steps and cross my fingers.

Murder Ram

Reaction score
Nice write up. The TomTom map on my 23 limited 12" has a blank blue space up top. It did this after I did a factory reset for a dropping Bluetooth connection problem. That seems to be good now, but still the blue part of the map remains, even after more factory resets.
Going to try this as soon as I get time
Not sure this is the problem we are addressing which is a complete reboot every 6 or 7 minutes (extremely annoying) I believe your screen is fine because 3d view shows the horizon like a steet view might! It is a view that is looking forward vs looking straight down

Murder Ram

Reaction score
Hi, I am having the same issue with the tomtom navigation system crashing on my 2023 Ram 1500 Limited. I will try your steps and cross my fingers.
Let me know how you make out and make sure you give it time to download and install and so on and if not try one more time following all the steps

Murder Ram

Reaction score
Has this made any difference with your wireless carplay connecting? If you even use that. I'm still having trouble with mine just randomly connecting when it wants. Sometimes it never does during my drive.
Yes I had this very problem when my maps were totally screwed up and it has helped/fixed that issue aswell and fixed pretty much all my issues and things work very well now and things I didn't see before are now there and working aswell
But not sure you have to take all the steps for just fixing the phone issues your describing
Maybe you should go ahead and do the factory reset for good measure because as I stated everything is working much much better now and I've learned to leave most the settings alone unless they are just personal preference's
Anyway heres a few notes on your issue about "android auto" and phone connections only!⁹
First always Make sure your Bluetooth is on, on your mobile phone
And again this is If you don't want to do the whole "reccomended" factory reset
1.) Go to your phone settings and search android auto and go to the result that is listed under Other and is android auto "settings" and click on it ( "NOT" the one that says connected devices)
2.) Scroll to previously connected Cars and clear them out !!
3.) In your vehicle go to the phone tab and find device manager, find your phone listed and click on the settings icon and scroll to bottom to delete device and delete it
4.) After both phone and vehicle have no memory of eachother go to your phone tab on vehicle and add device connect your Bluetooth to uconnect and verify and then when it's connected do nothing !!!! Let everything start working, it should ask you about android auto and ofcoarse add it and when you see your device in device manager it has 3 icons, a phone a music type icon and the 3rd is android auto and that is the one that should be lit up android auto.
The others are all on demand so to speak so "no need to go into settings and click on any those things"
Infact "do not" go into the phone settings at all it should all work as intended (originally I had gone into settings and click on a bunch of things I thought I wanted it to do but what I ended up doing is screwing up everything because android auto does it for you automatically So no need to click any of those radio buttons at all
for example if you want your phone dialer to come up then hit where it says android auto and select "Launch uconnect phone" all your dialing info is available like keypad, recent, favorites and so on when done click back to android auto if it doesn't automatically do so by itself and on the android auto screen you should have your "phone's maps" (not tomtom navigation but your phones google maps) available a music icon all kinds of apps available (you can go back to android auto settings to add apps or remove or re-position them)
and perhaps add a widget to your screen for your phone favorites so you can just access them right from that screen
Or use voice commands or ask alexa (if you have alexa in your vehicle) to dial it So many ways to make a phone call !
I hope this helped and sorry to be so long winded just regurgitating the many things I've discovered that worked for me and those that messed things up

vtorres1224

Reaction score
Let me know how you make out and make sure you give it time to download and install and so on and if not try one more time following all the steps
Hi, it worked. i did all the steps indicated. the only thing that i did different was connect to wifi. i believe the main issue is that the maps need to download/update before pairing your phone and Apple carplay / Android auto. once the maps updated (it took 2 days) i tested the tomtom nav and it no longer crashed. i paired my phone and voila, no more issues.

Murder Ram

Reaction score
>0 >ghost >>;+++ + hj,hig. 169
Hi, it worked. i did all the steps indicated. the only thing that i did different was connect to wifi. i believe the main issue is that the maps need to download/update before pairing your phone and Apple carplay / Android auto. once the maps updated (it took 2 days) i tested the tomtom nav and it no longer crashed. i paired my phone and voila, no more issues.
That is awesome man glad to hear it!!!!!
Let me ask you a question? Do you recall ever seeing something that said "download over wifi only" ???? It is different than the "enable wifi hotspot"
(Which i did end up enableing) but don't believe this "new" install has that option "download over wifi only" and then it not being able to connect or whatever it said I'm a little cloudy on it but I think I hit that button right before my troubles began because it was after that that I saw "maps can not download" and all hell broke loose

vtorres1224

Reaction score
Let me ask you a question? Do you recall ever seeing something that said "download over wifi only" ???? It is different than the "enable wifi hotspot"
(Which i did end up enableing) but don't believe this "new" install has that option "download over wifi only" and then it not being able to connect or whatever it said I'm a little cloudy on it but I think I hit that button right before my troubles began because it was after that that I saw "maps can not download" and all hell broke loose
Yes, it does say "download over wifi" i am not 100% sure on the "only" part. i understand its a different setting from the hot spot. I did see that if you dont select this "wifi" option whether it be "only" or not, the maps never download and the issue continues. every time i parked in the garage, i made sure the car was connected to the wifi (vehicle - updates - enable wifi downloads - select your wifi) and then turned off the car. when i went back and checked maps i saw that there was progress on the downloads.

vtorres1224

Reaction score
Yes, it does say "download over wifi" i am not 100% sure on the "only" part. i understand its a different setting from the hot spot. I did see that if you dont select this "wifi" option whether it be "only" or not, the maps never download and the issue continues. every time i parked in the garage, i made sure the car was connected to the wifi (vehicle - updates - enable wifi downloads - select your wifi) and then turned off the car. when i went back and checked maps i saw that there was progress on the downloads.
just verified, it does not say "only". this setting is under vehicle - settings - software updates -
download over wifi

Jslade

Reaction score
I have a new 2023 ram limited and my Navigation screen keeped crashing and after many many attempts to fix without bringing it to a dealer I have finally fixed it !!!!!!!
Below are the steps I took and not sure if all of the were required but it did work so this is the latest recommended way as of 8/30/23
"SETTINGS" button
6.) Now on that screen do not hit the top one restart radio because we've tried that and just reboots the radio which is fine for some issues but not this one so go to next selection which is "RESET APP DRAWER TO DEFAULT ORDER" hit that reset it and go to next " RESTORE SETTINGS TO DEFAULT" hit it, hit yes and go to next selection "CLEAR PERSONAL DATA" hit it, hit yes and go to next
"RESET WI-FI PASSWORD FOR PROJECTION" Hit it, hit yes and go to next "RESET PERFORMANCE VALUES" hit it, hit yes and finally hit
7.) Let it run for awhile and do "NOTHING" in an attempt to let everything update properly! On mine it was the next day
I did bring my phone into the truck but "connected nothing" I started getting messages like "your relevant maps have been updated" started seeing details I haven't seen before and knew I must be on a newer or working version but still I changed nothing!!!
It wasn't til the 3rd day that I started to enter a user profile and that was just an avatar that i entered and then connected my phone via Bluetooth for audio and phone calls and noticed those icons were now lit up where previously they were not and eventually it asked to add android auto and i did so
*THINGS I NOTICED*
*I do not have the button that says "UPDATE OVER WIFI" checked off * and will "LEAVE IT OFF" because that is what could have prevented my system updates !!!!
I also did not change my wifi name or password yet because again these things could be what started the problems being that the system was trying to update over the systems wifi instead of the way it was intended to update which is "over the air" so I will leave that button UNCHECKED
I will slowly make my personal settings so if something does go wrong I can easily return to the previously working state and probably write down changes and dates but again thinking the "update over wifi" could be the problem
Let me know if you have the nav crashing problem did you also have that button checked ????
Thanks @Murder Ram it fixed the issue for me, one week old truck.

Emir86

Reaction score
"SETTINGS" button
*THINGS I NOTICED*
Hi! What issue did u have before? What about me - I downloaded maps, but skip one (only one!!!) file while copy to USB. After all I have on the screen - TOMTOM screen and "No maps available..." (see a screen below). I've tried to reinstall Maps with all files - the same. What do you think, can I fix it without service using your way? Thanks for answer)
1696195736980.png

Murder Ram

Reaction score
Hi emir86,
Sorry for the late response (broke my old phone) but yes I would try to reboot the whole system! (Steps that i used) I don't think there is a downside other than to loose your personal settings which to me is secondary to the issue
I don't know how you came to that screen unless of course you tried to download a map and not sure if you had issues before that but find this method so far to be a cure all !
Let me know how you make out!!!

Murder Ram

Reaction score
Thanks @Murder Ram it fixed the issue for me, one week old truck.
Ha, yes mine too was maybe a month old and I was pretty sceptacle of my extremely expensive purchase at that point being the whole console or the center piece of the whole truck was useless at that point , this is my first ram product and have been a chevy guy my whole life and back in the early 80's my brother bought a brand new dodge ram 1500 and pretty much was a total loss for him with un fixable tranny issues and i was haveing flashbacks, chest pains, and nasea at that point!
But thankfully I haven't had any issues since and hope you don't either!!!

Murder Ram

Reaction score
Hi! What issue did u have before? What about me - I downloaded maps, but skip one (only one!!!) file while copy to USB. After all I have on the screen - TOMTOM screen and "No maps available..." (see a screen below). I've tried to reinstall Maps with all files - the same. What do you think, can I fix it without service using your way? Thanks for answer)
View attachment 168446
To answer your question the initial problem was the whole system crashing/rebooting every 7 minutes! I sent another reply to you suggesting that the steps I've outlined should cure your issues I believe!
My method would be called a factory reset but also feel things should not be rushed and why I've laid out the steps that worked for me the only thing I have done since and differently was to actually check off the box that asks you to download over internet only and didn't hit that until I got a message saying a map download is available but couldn't download and that was just recently (but I do have a subscription for AT&T cellular service and not sure if everyone does or how that may effect that particular setting being I feel they must update over air regardless of that subscription I would think! so just unsure about that one detail

DEG

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Has this made any difference with your wireless carplay connecting? If you even use that. I'm still having trouble with mine just randomly connecting when it wants. Sometimes it never does during my drive.

My wireless carplay occasionally fails to connect or will randomly disconnect unless I put the phone in the cradle at the front of the console before I start the truck and leave it there. I've found even moving my phone back a couple of feet and sitting it on the center arm rest might cause it to disconnect. If I leave it in my pocket it will fail to connect or disconnect almost every time.

Murder Ram

Reaction score
just verified, it does not say "only". this setting is under vehicle - settings - software updates -
download over wifi
Yes vtorres !!!! Recently I got another message stating (map update could not download) so I did infact check off that box "again" ! and yes it did then download !!! I guess it was ignorant of me to think maps would some how update over air regardless of wifi or a seperate pay service like the onboard celular service I'm paying AT&T for !

Murder Ram

Reaction score
My wireless carplay occasionally fails to connect or will randomly disconnect unless I put the phone in the cradle at the front of the console before I start the truck and leave it there. I've found even moving my phone back a couple of feet and sitting it on the center arm rest might cause it to disconnect. If I leave it in my pocket it will fail to connect or disconnect almost every time.
Hmm, I know I was having some issues prior to the reboot and it had to do with how I connected to the truck originally which was just jumping in the truck and and connecting via Bluetooth but after I rebooted I made sure I connected according to the manual instructions because your connecting really as a driver or driver one of two which gives you the android auto (believe you should be connected via Android auto and should reflect that on your touch screen) and hands free options and messages and so on basically telling the truck I am a driver and this phone is mine and display my contacts and messages vs someone in the truck wanting to just play music as a passenger so what I did was delete my user info and start over with setting up driver one and the best instructions for your particular truck, your phone and carrier are found at uconnectphone.com or follow this link and follow them meticulously !

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/