5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

UCA’s after lift install..

NewLove

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Not a suspension guru by no means... For you gurus out there, how do these angles look to you?.. This is the Bilstein 5100 at setting #5. (2”)
192e1e5af3167bb9d357af86e89502dd.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Damn it. Didn’t get it. Tech said it was slightly off. Facing truck, the wheels were pointed outward a tad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Your factory UCA's should be ok with 5100's. 5100's are stock lenght struts meaning even if you went all the way to their max lift, the strut shaft wouldn't open longer than what the stock strut will... However that doesn't mean your caster/camber specs will remain stock. As you lift you lose caster (you wheels are pushed towards the back of the truck) and your camber will go more positive so you have to adjust your caster/camber bolts to correct for that situation. They can only go to a certain range with the factory UCA's and that range will diminish the higher you go.
Aligment techs can correct that given the leverage they have with factory UCA gives them, typically sacrificing caster to gain camber. Caster won't wear the tires like camber will and more often that not you end with less caster and camber just barely enough for them to say you're good, you're within specs. sometimes within specs can be the absolute min on either caster or camber or both, and you won't have the same driveability you had stock.

I don't think that will happen in these trucks with just 2" of lift in the front so tipically you're ok with 2" though not all trucks react the same. The alignment sheet will tell the story. Above 2" we tend to run less caster and the steering can get a little on the nervous side, some people might notice, some others won't or won't simply care. The higher you go without an offset in your UCA's, the more caster/camber you'll lose i'm sure we have all seen some lifted trucks with tires running like this
1605296236576.png

In my 10 Silverado 1500 for example i went from 3* to 2* of caster, (min was like 2.2* so was below min) and while the alignment guy was able to get the camber within specs, my camber was barely at the very min, my tires starting wearing down a little funny where the tire shops will say just rotate more often, and the truck was a little to flighty on the fwy... but i had the 2" i wanted. I corrected that later on with aftermarket UCA's that had the proper offset needed for the alignment dude to put my caster and camber values actually towards the max sides and the difference was just day and night..

RAM 1500's seem to respond way better to 2" of lift in that regards, i think is because FCA designed the UCA's and total front geometry in this truck more likely to work with the 2" in the air suspension as i understand we all have the same UCA's. When you lifted your air suspenstion truck with 2" the factory wanted to still have something that will drive somehow correctly, notice the 2" lifted mode wasn't meant as a mode you can run permanently, it was meant more for a offroad thing where you'll need to sort obstacles as you go no more than 40-50mph ?

I know is a lot to read. You can start knowing if you need them with your alignment sheet, then what type of front suspension you have. anything that extend your front struts (top spacers, extended travel struts or coilovers like Falcon, Fox, King etc) more than 22" you want to use an offset uca to not only get the correct travel in your suspension, but to prevent the uca fron binding short as it reaches the extra droop and if you lifted past a certain range to correct camber and caster in your alignment . Hope it makes sense

Aftermarket UCA's are not the devil. They do what they're supposed to when you lift 2-3" and the extra $300-$1500 you pay for them are well worth it. You'll find the high end ones more expensive in race applications so don't be scared to see such a big price :),Typically uniballs or performance BJ's are in the $400-$800 range in our case.

Have fun.

Last edited:

armymp1130

Reaction score
so would the factory 2” lift mopar uca help with alignment angles? i have a 2” leveling kit and my steering feels sloppy and all my alignment numbers are in spec

Ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Get an aftermarket uca. Most have a built in offset for 2-3” lift that will increaae your caster and camber without the alignment tech doing much. Don’t waste your time with the factory length ones.Technically you can run the factory one with 2”. Aftermarket ones will make things better.

armymp1130

Reaction score
Get an aftermarket uca. Most have a built in offset for 2-3” lift that will increaae your caster and camber without the alignment tech doing much. Don’t waste your time with the factory length ones.Technically you can run the factory one with 2”. Aftermarket ones will make things better.
i just dont feel like spending 800$ on uca since the cheapest being rough country ones only work for 3.5” lift

Jeffjad

Ram Guru
Reaction score
s

yes bds icon are up around that, rough country ones only work with 3.5” lift
Do you have a picture of your UCA angle? Might be something else causing your steering slop. A lot of folks on here seem to be running stock UCAs with a level without issue.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online