5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

UAX Radio Module Replacement

Big White RAM

Reaction score
Due to the GPS failure of my radio, I'm going to order a replacement module. Once I swap the modules, will I need to do anything in regards to unlocking the replacement and or mating it to my 19 Longhorn, or is it just "plug and play"? Thanks in advance for any info.

MannymanX

5thGenRams Supporter
Reaction score
Should be plug and play.
you might need the pin code but it’s not a problem getting it. The dealer you order it from should provide that information.
Warranty is up? Why do you need to but the Module yourself?

Big White RAM

Reaction score
Should be plug and play.
you might need the pin code but it’s not a problem getting it. The dealer you order it from should provide that information.
Warranty is up? Why do you need to but the Module yourself?
Thanks for the reply. A PIN code makes sense. The GPS quit a few months ago which is no big deal as I use AA, but I would like to have the Compass and altitude working. If I could replace the GPS components within the module I would go that route, but so far have not been able to find out part numbers or availability. I'm still within warranty but would rather replace it myself than risk all kinds of damage to the interior if I were to have a dealership replace it.

MannymanX

5thGenRams Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. A PIN code makes sense. The GPS quit a few months ago which is no big deal as I use AA, but I would like to have the Compass and altitude working. If I could replace the GPS components within the module I would go that route, but so far have not been able to find out part numbers or availability. I'm still within warranty but would rather replace it myself than risk all kinds of damage to the interior if I were to have a dealership replace it.
It's a pretty easy job, Have them do it. These modules can get pretty expensive.
They can't really mess it up, it's just two screws on the top of the bezel, then you pull on it and the whole thing pops out, then you unplug all the connectors from the module and replace it with the new one...

If you decide to go ahead and order a new module, see if you can get the new uConnect 5!!! Talk to @Jimmy07 and see if you can actually do it, and what it takes to complete the swap... I mean... you're doing it anyway, if the new one is also plug and play, i'd get the new radio...

Big White RAM

Reaction score
It's a pretty easy job, Have them do it. These modules can get pretty expensive.
They can't really mess it up, it's just two screws on the top of the bezel, then you pull on it and the whole thing pops out, then you unplug all the connectors from the module and replace it with the new one...

If you decide to go ahead and order a new module, see if you can get the new uConnect 5!!! Talk to @Jimmy07 and see if you can actually do it, and what it takes to complete the swap... I mean... you're doing it anyway, if the new one is also plug and play, i'd get the new radio...
Yes, it's a very easy removal and installation but most dealership techs dont take precautions to prevent damage when working on interiors. I was in the automotive field starting in the early 80's and worked at many dealerships. Some of the things that I witnessed involving interior work was horrific. I remember one tech tearing off a door panel on a Cadillac Eldorado. He actually cracked the shell and there were broken clips scattered on the floor; he reinstalled it and commented, "cant see it from my house". It was returned a week later and I installed the new one correctly. I definately dont want my Longhorn's dash gouged, and especially the delicate piano finish on the 12" display. Good idea about a possible upgrade to 5; thanks for mentioning that.

MannymanX

5thGenRams Supporter
Reaction score
Yes, it's a very easy removal and installation but most dealership techs dont take precautions to prevent damage when working on interiors. I was in the automotive field starting in the early 80's and worked at many dealerships. Some of the things that I witnessed involving interior work was horrific. I remember one tech tearing off a door panel on a Cadillac Eldorado. He actually cracked the shell and there were broken clips scattered on the floor; he reinstalled it and commented, "cant see it from my house". It was returned a week later and I installed the new one correctly. I definately dont want my Longhorn's dash gouged, and especially the delicate piano finish on the 12" display. Good idea about a possible upgrade to 5; thanks for mentioning that.
Wow, crazy story!!!
If you're okay with paying out of pocket for this repair, then go ahead, it'll take you 5 minutes tops.
Good luck man!

MannymanX

5thGenRams Supporter
Reaction score
BTW, Just a thought:
Trim pieces around the dash are pretty cheap, $10-50 a piece. Maybe have them replace it and if they damage a piece, replace it yourself... Cheaper than a module for sure and you might(80% chance) not even need to replace anything :D

LV426

Reaction score
Yeah, dealer mechanics are like angry gorilla's... Sorry, its no coincidence that every time I have a vehicle in for service (Jeep,VW,Audi) they have screwed something up. These guys give zero fu*ks about your vehicle, Big White Ram is correct & I would do the same thing. Its a shame that it is that way to be honest.

MannyN

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You have warranty, take pictures of the area and have them replace the module. If they screw up, you have proof that they damaged something and have them correct it. It is a very small job.

Big White RAM

Reaction score
BTW, Just a thought:
Trim pieces around the dash are pretty cheap, $10-50 a piece. Maybe have them replace it and if they damage a piece, replace it yourself... Cheaper than a module for sure and you might(80% chance) not even need to replace anything :D
Definately an idea, however Its not just the dash I'd be concerned about. When I was working at a Chevrolet dealership, a tech got into a new 91 Corvette failing to remove a screwdriver from his back pocket and ripped the bolster. The screwdriver punched a hole in the back of the seat and he couldn't get out as it was still stuck in his pocket; it was something straight out of the Three Stooges!

Big White RAM

Reaction score
You have warranty, take pictures of the area and have them replace the module. If they screw up, you have proof that they damaged something and have them correct it. It is a very small job.
I hear you but I usually will only use a warranty for major mechanical failures if needed. The module isnt that expensive and I'm now thinking of sending it out to have the GPS repaired as it would be less expensive than a "FCA Rebuilt" unit.

Big White RAM

Reaction score
Yeah, dealer mechanics are like angry gorilla's... Sorry, its no coincidence that every time I have a vehicle in for service (Jeep,VW,Audi) they have screwed something up. These guys give zero fu*ks about your vehicle, Big White Ram is correct & I would do the same thing. Its a shame that it is that way to be honest.
I agree with you 100%. I've been on the fence about buying an extended warranty, as I would hate to have to take it in for any work to be performed due to the high risk of damage to the vehicle.

Users who are viewing this thread