5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Typical Stellantis…

Not trying to argue but I do question how the corporate drama really impacts customers. Using myself as example, we have a 2020 1500. Truck has been great and pretty much trouble free. Based on this ownership I would definitely consider another. Also needed a super large SUV for our family beach vacation with three dogs so rented Suburban class suv and got a Grand Wagoneer with the new HO hurricane straight six. Fantastic vehicle, fantastic motor. Quiet comfortable roomy, powerful, handles well, and fantastic 600 mile plus cruising range. Drove it almost 2k miles. No one will miss the hemi after driving the hurricane. So I understand that the corporate level concerns are real - the dealers don’t publicize grievance letters if everything is hunky dory - but at the same time if you want a truck and have money or financing in hand, I would be really shocked if any of this actually impacts the customer.

Now I appreciate the points being made about price increases. But two observations: first the price of everything has gotten shockingly expensive. I don’t want to get into politics but the argument that inflation is now controlled is not what I am seeing, particularly with machinery, repairs to machinery and cars, etc. Second, price increases on Stellantis vehicles have been significant, but does anyone remember what some of their cars were like 10-20 years ago? Take the Jeep Wranglers. These were always capable off road but they had Fisher Price interiors. Now the fit and finish (we had a rental several years ago during an escape the Covid lockdowns trip) is comparable to high end vehicles, the motors are far more sophisticated - no more big straight six (wonderful motor) but now you get turbo fours for the most part that are more efficient, more refined, etc., and the technology in the truck is on par with a luxury car. Now we can in good faith argue about the role government efficiency regs played here (I would argue a material portion of the inflation we have seen is driven by excessive regulation,
particulalry environmental regulation) but the reality is that Jeeps (not the JGC) were once were fairly crude vehicles that had a niche audience. Now they are refined enough that moms who don’t want a minivan or a crossover can daily drive one without much in the way of compromise. That has a cost.

All this is a long way of saying that while mistakes have been made, the decision to move these products up market will, in time, in my judgment pay dividends as competing in the lower price rungs of the market is not something you can credibly do (or want to do) when much of your manufacturing base is located in countries with high degrees of government regulation and high labor costs.

I would agree on most all of this post. Having driven the new straight six for 2000 miles, I am sold on it. It is an incredible driving experience, but I may not be the target customer for Ram. I have 2 F350’s to use when I need to do “truck” stuff. The Ram is basically just a car for me. Time will tell how it does pulling 10,000 pounds and using them the way lots of people will use them. Heck, time will tell if they hold up using them as a “car”. It’s just too early to tell at this point

As far as pricing goes. You are right, Ram trucks always gave you more truck for your dollar than any other brand. That’s why I’ve always driven them both personal and farm. Stellantis changed all of that with their greed during Covid. Ford would announce a price increase a month ahead of time. Buyers knew what was coming and could make decisions accordingly. Ram had constant increases with no notice to the customer. I ordered a Ram 3500 one morning and the dealer called back that evening and told me that Ram increased to price by $1600 before he could get the order placed. I told them to keep the truck. Now, the big high volume dealers are the only way to go. I bought a level 2, night edition Big Horn. There is no chance on earth that I walk into a local dealership and pay over $62,000 for a truck like this. The asking price simply does not meet what you get. It doesn’t add up. As a consumer, it offends my intelligence a little for Ram to tell me that this is a truck that is worth that kind of money. But….when you throw 18k worth of discounts and rebates on that very same truck, it all of the sudden seems like a bargain even in today’s market. Those discounts pushed me right of the fence and made me a happy new six cylinder, half ton truck owner🤷‍♂️

All this is just one old farmers opinion and it is worth what your paying for it, exactly nothing!

Last edited:
Appreciate both of the last 2 opinions. Both are coming from different needs/wants yet agree that the hurricane motor is positive. I can only say that while I liked my Ferd with a 2.7 TT ecoboost, I didn't own it long enough for the very well documented direct injection, timing chain, cam phaser issues to rear their ugly heads. Same with their 3.5 ecoboost, the engine with the infamous “$6K tuneup” that is being reported…
These smaller turboed motors make fantastic power for their size but longevity isn't one of their strengths.

As for price increases, yes inflation is a part but sheer greed and a marketing strategy of forcing their customer into buying higher and higher priced vehicles is a lose-lose. When you can go to a regional high volume dealer and get $16+K off msrp and they are STILL making money, then you know the corporate price strategy is wrong. Why not drop the msrps down well below the other 3 competitors and scoop up a lot of their sales and get a reputation of “a good truck for less”.

Oh well, I have my very likely last new truck, I wont be anyones repeat customer anymore, not at these msrp’s anyway. Others will still buy, I can only hope they find 15-20% off msrp deals.

Last edited:
I understand that the Ford 3.5 eco boost has been a reliable motor, much better than the 2.7 (seems odd to me). The hurricane reliability is open issue, it is unknown I agree and I would imagine bugs will surface. Hopefully they are relatively minor and can be properly sorted over the production run,

Have a good Saturday folks.

Inline 6-cyl engines (if built properly) are damn near bulletproof. They’ve been used for many decades in many other manufacturers and industries.

So I would give Ram the benefit of doubt towards the new Hurricane and Hurricane H.O. engines. The H.O. engine is a beast for what it is!

The HEMI was never a fuel efficient engine! It was all about the HP and Torque! This is why Ram was pressured so heavily from our Federal Government to build a much more fuel efficient engine.

I think people should still be able to get a V8 if we paid a “gas guzzler tax” like some performance vehicles… that way folks that want the classic V8 can still get one.

Maybe they didn’t want to lose billions like ford did, so they decided to wait

After 3 weeks with my HO Limited night edition, I don't miss the hemi at all. Speaking of the inline 6's longevity, on my farm, I have an 2 inline 6's that are very old and still going strong. One is a '58 Chevrolet engine that is in a heavy duty front end fork lift. The other is a '77 Chrysler Slant 6 that is fitted in a pecan shaker. Both still purr like a kitten and run great.

Speaking of pricing, Ram has the best looking trucks with now, the best and strongest engine, best interiors, and priced on par with every other competitor out there. Don't like the prices, but it's the best out there IMO.

Quarter after quarter after quarter sales keep falling. This began when Stellantis announced to the nation that V8 engines were going away forever. Lots of guys on this forum think losing the V8s has nothing to do with it. How long do these sales numbers need to keep falling until they realize otherwise?

At this rate, Stellantis will bleed out before we ever see a Ramcharger or REV.

It's all about IMAGE. If you show that you're committed to building what people want, they'll come. If you say "we're going to hug trees from now on" guys will go elsewhere.

"Even Jeep is struggling as deliveries in Q3 2024 dropped by 6% to 144,963 units. Demand has diminished by 8% to 449,149 vehicles through the first nine months of the year. Ram isn't improving either since sales were 19% lower in the third quarter, at 108,925 units. The company suffered a 24% decline from January to September to 309,718 trucks and vans." -Motor1 article excerpt
Declining Ram sales probably is a result of no upper trim trucks on the lots. I do agree that ram lost customers with the loss of the Hemi. Many people only bought ram because of the hemi name. If they continued naming the new sst, hemi, many wouldn't know the difference.

Heres my “Limited” take.
I was a Ferd owner, having had and enjoyed several of them. The 19’ RAM purchase was driven by the phenomenal reviews from the car magazines, then the test drive. Coming from an XLT ford the ride and interior were leaps and bounds above though certainly not a fair comparison.

The RAM price was pretty good although I missed the summer of 2019 “Truck month” because I purchased 2 months early. I was so taken with the truck that I had my son and DIL ride in it, then DIL told my son to “buy one”. He got the level 1 Ltd package and the 6’4” bed for $7K less than I paid… 😮. Still FCA sold 2 trucks due to a great product at a very fair price.

Fast forward to 2023, (the 19’ had been sold in 21’ to take advantage of the crazy resale prices so I could purchase a house) and we wanted a RAM again. I would NOT have bought it except the forum introduced me to Mark Dodge/RAM and that got me the deal (16% off msrp) I needed. No local dealer was even close and I couldn’t have paid their (msrp) prices no matter how much I wanted one.

Now the 25’s are out and the Limited is no longer top dog trim. A Tungsten is over $80K and unless there are severe discounts, I could never, ever justify spending that kind of money. Even the $59.5K for the 2023 was hard to take.

My neighbor wanted to stay with RAM when he traded a few months ago but he's a local dealer shopper and these idiots wanted almost msrp, so he went to a hungrier Chevy dealer and got a really good price on a more basic 1500 2 wheel 4 cylinder turbo version (🙄). His deal was about like a 2024 Tradesman price would have been but he got a Big Horn type trim, whatever Chevy’s equivalent model is (Custom).

So in summary, RAM lost his sale due to their gotten too high pricing and lack of discounting. He needed to be under $40K for a not bottom trim truck and Chevy came in at $33…. Stellantis needs to take note.

Ok this is the cheapest 25’ 1500 on the local CDJR lot, $39K. Yes its a 4x but everything else is bottom end AND its a Tradesman. https://www.miraclecdjrofaiken.com/...500-tradesman-4x4-crew-cab-1c6rrfgg4rn188466/

That’s just not going to cut it when your competition is multi-thousands less, with a turbo engine that waxes the plain v6 in the Tradesman.

Just came across this article… Stellantis is falling deeper and deeper into their own grave!

IMHO Stellantis made a couple-three major mistakes. First they alienated their core RAM and Jeep buyers with huge price increases during the 2021-22 timeframe. Then (yes I know, shareholders and executive bonuses) they kept prices up at the artificially high price/low volume levels after the production issue was done and dealers had stock again. (I'm fully aware of supply and demand concepts for pricing, they just overdid it.)

Next issue IMHO was forgetting that the US consumer isn't "all in" with ev's, at least not like Europe was saying they were. By reducing gas powered vehicles in their mix (and dropping the hemi - I mean look at GM, they still offer the 5.3 and the 6.2 and Ferd has the 7.3 gasser.) This misreading of what consumers wanted cost them dearly as vehicles just sat on their franchised dealers lots.

I purchased my May production date 23' Ltd at the end of December 23' with a 16.7% off MSRP discount from Mark Ram. If they could sell me a very well appointed truck at that price, what was stopping other dealers? Greed? Or a lack of a national/regional marketing plan and incentives from Stellantis.

I even tried to get my wife interested in a 24' Jeep Grand Cherokee due to some killer deals at Mark, but we ended up with a new Buick crossover instead.

North America has a huge market and Stellantis gave us the finger. Well, the consumer seems to be giving it right back.

Business 101. A wise man once said, "It's not what you like, it's the consumer"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back