5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Two months and two thousand miles, thoughts so far.

cw_mi

Reaction score
First off, coming from an '05 Ram 2500 Cummins. Wife has a '17 Cadillac XT5 so I have some type of modern vehicle to compare things to.

Overall, absolutely love this truck. I was on the fence both, buying a new one and switching from the 2500 diesel to the 1500 gasser. The ride is incredible, and I love how quiet the cabin is. I've only towed once with it so far. Roughly #3000 and it towed much better than expected. Mileage was shocking compared to the last truck but I guess it's to be expected. The interior , amenities, and audio system blow the wifes vehicle out of the water, which is funny...a pickup compared to a small luxury SUV.

Only complaints, and they really aren't much is the mileage. That I'm sure I'll get used to. In my daily commute, I'm getting roughly 12-13mpg. On the freeway on a 400 mile trip, not towing it was just shy of 15.
The turning radius sort of sucks. It's like driving a limo. I had a weird issue with the audio system, I started the truck and all my presets had been lost, not a big deal. The drive by wire is a bit strange to get used to. Seems to have a slight lag , mostly noticeable off idle. The Cadillac has a much better DBW system , in my opinion.

Other notes. For the life of me, I'm having a hard time adjusting to this truck. I seem to constantly bias to the right, can't back it up straight and can't judge where the front end is. It's odd, but this truck feels bigger than the last one. I also wish the turn signal lights in the side mirrors would also light when the running and or headlights are on, basically like every other manufactures do.

That is about it , so far. I do hope to see the mileage increase...having 3.92 gears I guess I'm expected to see it down some.

PorBoy

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Well welcome and as far as the mileage, I wouldn’t get your hopes of it improving. The turn signal part I agree with and as far as parking I used to drive tractor trailers so this is good by me. The preset thing I definitely would bring to the attention of the dealership to ensure there is no tsb on it. Post photos when you can and possibly if you have any add on plans.

JJRamTX

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I totally agree that the electric power steering takes a little bit of getting used to, I was at a stop light today and when the engine shuts off it is a bit weird to be able to turn the steering wheel just the same as with the engine on and rolling down the road.
I am guessing that you don't have the e-torque? Mileage usually keeps improving a tad bit until the truck hits around 8-15K (Depending on driving habits and towing) or at each oil change until you put full synthetic oil in it. Welcome to the club and enjoy the truck.

Wheeler

Reaction score
Wife drive 2019 GMC Acadia Denali that is pretty much identical car as Cadi xt5. Not comparable to ram. Ram quality is much better and ride much superior than acadia. Can't justify price paid for acadia but she want small crossover with 7 seats so we bought what fit in here reqirment.

cw_mi

Reaction score
Wife drive 2019 GMC Acadia Denali that is pretty much identical car as Cadi xt5. Not comparable to ram. Ram quality is much better and ride much superior than acadia. Can't justify price paid for acadia but she want small crossover with 7 seats so we bought what fit in here reqirment.

Same situation, wife wanted a crossover...and liked her previous Cadillac. I think I've broken her of that...her next choice is a Buick TourX

Funny thing. I'm a designer in the automotive industry. Last model I worked on was the interior on GM '21 full size trucks. Let's just say the Ram interior now is still superior.

cw_mi

Reaction score
I totally agree that the electric power steering takes a little bit of getting used to, I was at a stop light today and when the engine shuts off it is a bit weird to be able to turn the steering wheel just the same as with the engine on and rolling down the road.
I am guessing that you don't have the e-torque? Mileage usually keeps improving a tad bit until the truck hits around 8-15K (Depending on driving habits and towing) or at each oil change until you put full synthetic oil in it. Welcome to the club and enjoy the truck.

No E torque.
And I didn't know the steering was electric. In my post I was referring to the drive by wire throttle.

cw_mi

Reaction score
Well welcome and as far as the mileage, I wouldn’t get your hopes of it improving. The turn signal part I agree with and as far as parking I used to drive tractor trailers so this is good by me. The preset thing I definitely would bring to the attention of the dealership to ensure there is no tsb on it. Post photos when you can and possibly if you have any add on plans.

No plans for add on's. Just had the windows tinted but that is about it. I see plenty of things that look interesting to do but have too many other hobbies wanting my attention and money. Just going to drive it.

HKP7PSP

Reaction score
Hold out on the gas mileage. My 2015 Grand Cherokee with the Hemi also got terrible mileage until about 15-20k. My RAM is now at 15 average for my traffic laden commute. Up from 10, 12 and 13 for the first, second, and third weeks I had it. I’m on week seven now. It’s been improving for sure. I have the same axle as you as well.

DM-SC

Reaction score
Length wise , for sure but are the cabs on these new trucks wider than 3rd gens ?
4th Gen is 79.4
5th Gen is 82.1

The tow mirrors add about .4"

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Douglas31

Reaction score
The radio preset problem is likely related to the key fob being programmed to remember them. Set your radio presets and then save your settings to the key fob by hitting the set button and then the 1 button on the door. You can also turn this feature off in the radio settings. If the radio is set that way anytime you change radio settings you have to save them to the fob.

CompuDav

Reaction score

Similar situation too... wife wanted a small SUV and she wanted a Benz GLC. Similar price to the Ram I just got but I can barely stand the Benz now. It’s just such a downgrade compared to my truck. The Rams just pack so much bang for the buck that it is hard to beat with almost any other manufacturer in the price range.

cw_mi

Reaction score
The radio preset problem is likely related to the key fob being programmed to remember them. Set your radio presets and then save your settings to the key fob by hitting the set button and then the 1 button on the door. You can also turn this feature off in the radio settings. If the radio is set that way anytime you change radio settings you have to save them to the fob.
Thanks, i do have that setting off in the radio.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

cw_mi

Reaction score
Someone asked for a picture.
It's just another Delmonico Red Ram. I love this color but didn't realize it was going to be this popular. Had i known, i probably would have went with a different one.
b3df25a7e36996fb2577e6a1b8d00334.jpg

Last edited:

Cmerkert

Ram Guru
Reaction score
∆. ∆. ∆. That's interesting. So each key fob can have their own pre-sets? Like wife's keys vs my keys??

Granite5thgen

Reaction score
OP if it makes you feel any better I had an 04 Cummins with the nv5600. I could back that sucker up NO PROBLEM. This truck, I cant to save my damn life hahaha. Idk what it is but I'm usually a bit crooked. Makes me kinda mad tbh but I'm sure I'll get used to it. First ever brand new vehicle so theres a learning curve

SemperGumby

Reaction score
∆. ∆. ∆. That's interesting. So each key fob can have their own pre-sets? Like wife's keys vs my keys??
Yes, afaik you can set the seat memory, mirrors, and radio presets individual to each key fob. Have to look up the procedure again to program each fob to the memory, I know there is 1 extra step after hitting the set, 1, I think you hit unlock on fob.

*Edit: attached the procedure from the manual.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190327-193523.png
    Screenshot_20190327-193523.png
    643.6 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:

DM-SC

Reaction score
Someone asked for a picture.
It's just another Delmonico Red Ram. I love this color but didn't realize it was going to be this popular. Had i known, i probably would have went with a different one.
b3df25a7e36996fb2577e6a1b8d00334.jpg

My '14 Sport was Ruby Red. I wanted to go with the Delmonico Red for the '19. I just couldn't find one equipped the way I wanted it.

I'm happy with the Granite Crystal. Change can be good!

Granite5thgen

Reaction score
My '14 Sport was Ruby Red. I wanted to go with the Delmonico Red for the '19. I just couldn't find one equipped the way I wanted it.

I'm happy with the Granite Crystal. Change can be good!

Granite crystal is the best :cool:

Attachments

• 20190304_120930.jpg
    20190304_120930.jpg
    215.1 KB · Views: 26

Users who are viewing this thread