5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Two 2019 or '20 Rams Collide Head - on

pensfan

Reaction score
This happened today here in Pittsburgh on a busy 4 lane highway around 5AM. Five people hurt, 1 in critical condition. One of the news stories I saw said after the collision one of the trucks caught fire. It looks like all of the airbags deployed in at least one of the trucks.
The strange thing is these 2 trucks look to be almost identical Laramie's. Figure the odds on that happening.
I will update when more info becomes available.
https://www.post-gazette.com/local/...aldwin-borough-five-hurt/stories/202001110040

https://www.wpxi.com/news/head-crash-shuts-down-all-lanes-route-51/LNM4FKWQERAWFPB3TZATPENXWQ/

https://www.wtae.com/article/five-people-injured-after-two-vehicle-crash-in-baldwin/30477832 ram crash.jpg

pensfan

Reaction score
Local media is now reporting that one of the injured has died. They also said not all of the people in the trucks were belted in.

GerryS

Reaction score
That's ugly. Sorry to see that. As bad as the front end impact looks, the passenger compartments look pretty much intact.

What's the orange markers on the wheels for?

Gerry

RamGuy32

Reaction score
It's for the investigators to mark location of each truck wheel. It's also on the pavement so that if they need to return to review, they can see where the vehicles were.

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The orange flags are used for center of axle reference point to take measurements for scene analysis and crash scene documentation

GerryS

Reaction score
I thought it was for crash scene investigation. RamGuy32 says its also on the pavement. Why put markers on the wheels instead of just using marking paint to mark the pavement? I'm not trying to be a wise guy, I'm just curious. Care to elaborate?

Thanks
Gerry

Stringd

Reaction score
I thought it was for crash scene investigation. RamGuy32 says its also on the pavement. Why put markers on the wheels instead of just using marking paint to mark the pavement? I'm not trying to be a wise guy, I'm just curious. Care to elaborate?

Thanks
Gerry
I work at a state DOT, one of the state patrol guys said they usually mark the tires too for a few reasons:
-As indicator in investigation pictures that a vehicle was moved from its initial position compared to other photos or to prevent the accusation.
-Enables them to later lay out the vehicle at the lot in the exact way it was found with the tires in the right position. It can be important for looking at impact or wear marks. Example: sideways wear marks only at the bottom point indicate car had come to a stop and then was hit and pushed sideways in a multi-impact crash.
-Indicator for investigators where the tires stopped. Random example: driver claims a mechanical failure and wheels locked up on him and he lost control. Investigators would find huge wear patches on the tires lined up with where they came to rest. This wouldn’t be “provable” if wheels not marked.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
I work at a state DOT, one of the state patrol guys said they usually mark the tires too for a few reasons:
-As indicator in investigation pictures that a vehicle was moved from its initial position compared to other photos or to prevent the accusation.
-Enables them to later lay out the vehicle at the lot in the exact way it was found with the tires in the right position. It can be important for looking at impact or wear marks. Example: sideways wear marks only at the bottom point indicate car had come to a stop and then was hit and pushed sideways in a multi-impact crash.
-Indicator for investigators where the tires stopped. Random example: driver claims a mechanical failure and wheels locked up on him and he lost control. Investigators would find huge wear patches on the tires lined up with where they came to rest. This wouldn’t be “provable” if wheels not marked.
Fascinating. Thanks for sharing.

jimk hunt

Reaction score
Local media is now reporting that one of the injured has died. They also said not all of the people in the trucks were belted in.
No excuse for not wearing a seat belt. None.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/