5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tweeter orientation (in dash)

Brunzca

Reaction score
Those of you who have replaced the in-dash speakers with tweeters, how have you tried aiming them, and with what kind of success? bouncing the sound off the windshield? Directly at each other (cross dash)? At some other angle (driver side at passenger headrest and vice versa)?

Since bouncing the sound of the windshield is dependent on angles, dash size, etc, wondering if that’s the best way to go, or if anyone has found a better way in these trucks, when mounting in-dash.

Obviously, my results will vary, just looking for your experiences/results as a starting point. I’m using Alpine silk dome tweeters, on a dedicated channel of the amp+DSP

sppb32

Reaction score
Those of you who have replaced the in-dash speakers with tweeters, how have you tried aiming them, and with what kind of success? bouncing the sound off the windshield? Directly at each other (cross dash)? At some other angle (driver side at passenger headrest and vice versa)?

Since bouncing the sound of the windshield is dependent on angles, dash size, etc, wondering if that’s the best way to go, or if anyone has found a better way in these trucks, when mounting in-dash.

Obviously, my results will vary, just looking for your experiences/results as a starting point. I’m using Alpine silk dome tweeters, on a dedicated channel of the amp+DSP
I installed my tweeters on the window trim and 3.5" on the stock location, the image is perfect, the voice comes from the very front of the vehicle you feel like you are in front of a stage, replacing the dash speakers with just tweeters will kill the front stage, you need the mids all the way up front.

Attachments

• 20200711_104615.jpg
    20200711_104615.jpg
    173.3 KB · Views: 92
  • 20200628_120822.jpg
    20200628_120822.jpg
    161.8 KB · Views: 81

Brunzca

Reaction score
I installed my tweeters on the window trim and 3.5" on the stock location, the image is perfect, the voice comes from the very front of the vehicle you feel like you are in front of a stage, replacing the dash speakers with just tweeters will kill the front stage, you need the mids all the way up front.
Thanks. That was my other consideration, mounting tweeters somewhere in the panel (similar to yours) , and putting the Inf 3032s back in the dash. But, I’m running a 6 channel amp + DSP, currently 2 each for dash (tweeters) , front doors, and rear doors), and if I do that, Id have to install a passive crossover, and lose the ability to control the tweeters through the DSP. I wasn’t sure if it would be worth it, but sounds like it may be...
Do you have the tweeters wired parallel to the door speakers (or are they part of a component set)?

edit: I see the crossover in the pic, nevermind!

Last edited:

sppb32

Reaction score
Thanks. That was my other consideration, mounting tweeters somewhere in the panel (similar to yours) , and putting the Inf 3032s back in the dash. But, I’m running a 6 channel amp + DSP, currently 2 each for dash (tweeters) , front doors, and rear doors), and if I do that, Id have to install a passive crossover, and lose the ability to control the tweeters through the DSP. I wasn’t sure if it would be worth it, but sounds like it may be...
Do you have the tweeters wired parallel to the door speakers (or are they part of a component set)?
They are part of a component set from Diamond audio, (one of the few that fits in there) i also run a DSP for the crossovers and time alignment but not for the rear doors, rear speakers are not important to me, i seat up front lol, maybe in the future ill install some 6/9 midbass i have laying around but i don't want to hear any voice coming from the rear

Brunzca

Reaction score
They are part of a component set from Diamond audio, (one of the few that fits in there) i also run a DSP for the crossovers and time alignment but not for the rear doors, rear speakers are not important to me, i seat up front lol, maybe in the future ill install some 6/9 midbass i have laying around but i don't want to hear any voice coming from the rear
Good point… I never have anyone in the back. Hellll, I’ve had the rear seats out of the truck for the last 2 months. Lol.

Brunzca

Reaction score
I know you did this a while ago - but do you remember how much space there was behind the sail panels to add your tweeters? before I take everything apart, it would be nice to know how much depth I need behind the flush mount….
thanks!

ramButz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Diamond speaker? o_O ......🥳🤩...i went with "focal(y)

Attachments

• 100_1811.JPG
    100_1811.JPG
    179.8 KB · Views: 40

sppb32

Reaction score
I know you did this a while ago - but do you remember how much space there was behind the sail panels to add your tweeters? before I take everything apart, it would be nice to know how much depth I need behind the flush mount….
thanks!
Sorry for the late replay. i haven't been here in a while, i don't remember the clearance but they are super easy to remove and reinstall

Users who are viewing this thread