5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Turning off fog lights during a turn

Morenar

Reaction score
I just picked up a 2021 Laramie night edition last Thursday and have spent the weekend reading the owners manual. I cannot locate how to stop the fog light from coming on during a turn. Also I believe the fog light even comes on when using turn signals. I have the the fog lights turned off at all times, so I don't think that is it.

Any ideas?

turkeybird56

Reaction score
Honestly, not looked. I have level 2 on MY 19, and actually I live rural, so works for me. I do not remember seeing ne thing in the manual or in EVIC. I bet U could do AlphaOBD and probably turn off, but unless U have, that is a small expense and U need to have some idea what U be doing.

Would not surprise me if U went to DEALER, they tell U they have no access through their Witech, protected by FCA. I tried to have the outer rim front headlights running light turned off, even though it is NOT my DRL's and Dealer could not do. If I had AlphaOBD, could prob turn off.

ADDED: Is that yer blacked out edition in yer Avatar with the Granite Gray Color???

Moparian

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I just picked up a 2021 Laramie night edition last Thursday and have spent the weekend reading the owners manual. I cannot locate how to stop the fog light from coming on during a turn. Also I believe the fog light even comes on when using turn signals. I have the the fog lights turned off at all times, so I don't think that is it.

Any ideas?
That is normal and I am not sure you can turn it off. Its part of the reason why these trucks got 5* from NHTSA. It only activates under 20mph when you either activate your turn signals or turn the wheel more than a few degrees. I thought my truck was messed up when I first got too but I actually like it since it helps illuminate into the turn.

Morenar

Reaction score
Honestly, not looked. I have level 2 on MY 19, and actually I live rural, so works for me. I do not remember seeing ne thing in the manual or in EVIC. I bet U could do AlphaOBD and probably turn off, but unless U have, that is a small expense and U need to have some idea what U be doing.

Would not surprise me if U went to DEALER, they tell U they have no access through their Witech, protected by FCA. I tried to have the outer rim front headlights running light turned off, even though it is NOT my DRL's and Dealer could not do. If I had AlphaOBD, could prob turn off.

ADDED: Is that yer blacked out edition in yer Avatar with the Granite Gray Color???
Turkeybird56. It's my 2021 Billet Silver Night Edition.

highgear2005

Reaction score
why would you ever turn the fog lights off? Why would you want to see less than possible, My fogs have been on since the day I bought it and the only time they come on for a turn is with the high beems on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Morenar

Reaction score
why would you ever turn the fog lights off? Why would you want to see less than possible, My fogs have been on since the day I bought it and the only time they come on for a turn is with the high beems on.
I didn't turn them on thinking that the fog lights may also flash when turning. I will give this a shot.

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
They are cornering lights, and I think they are a great feature, I see the new F150 is getting them as well. I don't run my fog lights unless the weather requires it. The put a more focused light directly in front of the truck this is only a distraction at higher speeds when you are focusing your sight much further out where your headlights are.

Alter Ego Trip

Reaction score
They are cornering lights, and I think they are a great feature, I see the new F150 is getting them as well. I don't run my fog lights unless the weather requires it. The put a more focused light directly in front of the truck this is only a distraction at higher speeds when you are focusing your sight much further out where your headlights are.

? As others have said; the more light the better. Come drive in my neck of the woods where it's deer haven and you will appreciate having light everywhere as opposed to a mile in front of you. That's like walking around the house with the light in the room you're in off but the room down the hall on lol.

Alter Ego Trip

Reaction score

This has nothing to do with your statement. You mention fogs distract you, not oncoming drivers (which also isn't true). The factory shuts the fogs off when highs are on for that exact reason; to protect oncoming traffic. It has nothing to do with distracting the driver. If you were the only vehicle on the road; the fogs on with high beams is a logical feature.

Frankly, fogs on with highs is less of a concern then all the idiots running around with HID's stuffed in their halogen equipped cars; or those running around with 20k lights, or lightbars.

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This has nothing to do with your statement. You mention fogs distract you, not oncoming drivers (which also isn't true). The factory shuts the fogs off when highs are on for that exact reason; to protect oncoming traffic. It has nothing to do with distracting the driver. If you were the only vehicle on the road; the fogs on with high beams is a logical feature.

Frankly, fogs on with highs is less of a concern then all the idiots running around with HID's stuffed in their halogen equipped cars; or those running around with 20k lights, or lightbars.
Agree with Alter Ego. Properly equipped and aimed lights should not be distraction unless bad angle situations (you coming up a hill to a flat surface with your lights shining higher for example). The problem is you get the idiots that lift their trucks but don't re-aim their headlights, get bulbs built for a different housing, use LED cubes or bars (I always light up my bars on these sh!theads). As far as I've found, there is one manufacturer, Rigid, with US street legal bars and cubes. I doubt 99% of the ones running them on the street use those.

At least how I've got it set up on my Rebel, my fog lights illuminate a lot of the ditch area around the truck. You know, where deer like to sit until the last second to jump out at you. If I can get a glint off a deer's eyes because my fogs hit them that might give me the advantage I need to react.

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
yes the article talks about blinding other drivers which is additional piece of information you will find around the internet. My point is that at night your eyes will be drawn to the brightest part of the load almost overpowering the headlights shining out much further. This would be helpful at low speeds when you can stop quickly but at high speeds when your covering 100 feet a second, having the those fog lights on that illuminate 20 feet out does absolutely nothing in clear conditions. It probably boils down to what works best for you, but for me I prefer to only use the fog lights during in foggy or snow/rain conditions.

Alter Ego Trip

Reaction score
yes the article talks about blinding other drivers which is additional piece of information you will find around the internet. My point is that at night your eyes will be drawn to the brightest part of the load almost overpowering the headlights shining out much further. This would be helpful at low speeds when you can stop quickly but at high speeds when your covering 100 feet a second, having the those fog lights on that illuminate 20 feet out does absolutely nothing in clear conditions. It probably boils down to what works best for you, but for me I prefer to only use the fog lights during in foggy or snow/rain conditions.

Yes, to each their own. If I lived in Suburbia running interstates or similar I wouldn't rely on driving lights nearly as much (even though I still am in the camp of the more light the better); but in wooded 2 lane highways that I drive you'd be surprised how much help "driving lights" are. We call them fogs but fogs are technically yellow for cutting through "fog". The huge advantage of driving lights is the wider dispersion pattern that lights up the ditches, where as mentioned, the critters like to hide.

Condor757

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have the premium LED lighting. Went “glamping” last week in the Shenandoah Valley with a couple of buds and yes those fog lights make a WORLD of difference on those dark rural 2 lane country roads. A difference I had not noticed much while driving in suburbia, and I’ve had those fog lights selected On since the day of my purchase. Wouldn’t drive anywhere without them on at night.

turkeybird56

Reaction score
Turkeybird56. It's my 2021 Billet Silver Night Edition.

WELL DAT's a Fine looking Machine Suh................................ They did not have all dat in mid 2018 when I bought my red Beast. Kudo's fer yer pick.......

Users who are viewing this thread