5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Turning Circle

Moonlightboater

Reaction score
Ordered a Ram limited with the 6'4" bed does anyone know if there is a big difference in the turning circle or radius vs. the 5'7" bed. I will be setting up the truck to flat tow behind our MH and in the bed will be 2 E-Bikes and a Golf Cart using Mad Ramps. With Mad Ramps the rear tires of the golf cart are past the tailgate and the weight is on the receiver hitch.MAD RAMPS Truck Loading Ramp - ATVs, UTVs, Golf Carts & More

Mountain Whiskey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
23.1' vs 24.4' if you compare crew to crew. A Quad Cab 6'4" bed is 23.1' same as a Crew cab 5'7" bed. This is all on the Ram website under the dimensions of the different build models.

script

Reaction score
Am I the only one who thinks those MAD-RAMPS look like a really bad idea?

cskindt

Ram Guru
Reaction score
No, they remind me of that overloaded 3500 with the busted frame. You know, the one with the old man and pick 'em up camper.

Idahoktm

Reaction score

Exactly. I can't remember the formula to solve the additional weight/torque that is distributed to the receiver, but it's eye opening. I had a hitch carrier for my dirt bike. Combined together they weighed about 250lbs and positioned my motorcycle about 2 1/2' away from the receiver. The tongue weight with that length of beam was right at the maximum for my class 3 receiver. I imagine the rear end of a 1000' golf cart sticking out 3' past the receiver would be well over 1000' of tongue weight.

Last edited:

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
That's why they didn't need to make trucks soccer mom vehicles. Leave a regular cab and a full 8' bed and you wouldn't need the gimmicky crap. And no, not a stripped to the bone Tradesman.

jkm312

Reaction score
That's why they didn't need to make trucks soccer mom vehicles. Leave a regular cab and a full 8' bed and you wouldn't need the gimmicky crap. And no, not a stripped to the bone Tradesman.
Exactly right! I truly miss having an eight foot bed and a fully optioned and comfortable cab. Don't want a 3/4 ton truck. I think a huge market is being missed.

Idahoktm

Reaction score
Exactly right! I truly miss having an eight foot bed and a fully optioned and comfortable cab. Don't want a 3/4 ton truck. I think a huge market is being missed.
Do you really think every manufacturer is just wrong about the 8' bed on 1/2 ton trucks? Very unlikely. I've owned a few standard cab trucks and they suck.

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
Do you really think every manufacturer is just wrong about the 8' bed on 1/2 ton trucks? Very unlikely. I've owned a few standard cab trucks and they suck.
Hardly. The old extended cab is perfect. About a foot of extra space behind the seat to stow extra crap. No need to suck up all that bed space with cab if you are not hauling nose pickers everywhere.

Even Jeep has succumbed to the world of soccer mom. Real jeeps have two door openings.

Idahoktm

Reaction score
Hardly. The old extended cab is perfect. About a foot of extra space behind the seat to stow extra crap. No need to suck up all that bed space with cab if you are not hauling nose pickers everywhere.

Even Jeep has succumbed to the world of soccer mom. Real jeeps have two door openings.

I don't have any nose miners, but the big cab comes in handy about 50% of the time for my use. When I need extra hauling capacity, I use my utility trailer and I still have the extra cab space. I only need the extra bed space once every month or two, so it would be useless to have 8' of bed and only 1' of extra space in the cab.

If 1' of extra space behind a bench seat and 8' beds were what consumers wanted, you can bet that's what the manufacturers would build. They would be a hell of a lot cheaper to build.

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
I don't have any nose miners, but the big cab comes in handy about 50% of the time for my use. When I need extra hauling capacity, I use my utility trailer and I still have the extra cab space. I only need the extra bed space once every month or two, so it would be useless to have 8' of bed and only 1' of extra space in the cab.

If 1' of extra space behind a bench seat and 8' beds were what consumers wanted, you can bet that's what the manufacturers would build. They would be a hell of a lot cheaper to build.
I am sure you are right. The soccer mom revolution has taken over. No doubt.

Viva la MILFS!

Last edited:

Sportznut

Reaction score

You got that right. Plan for the rule not the exception!

I use my comfy large cab everyday, I use the bed just every once in awhile.

With my tonneau cover on the back my truck is just a SUV with big old trunk. Love the versatility and utility.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Loudram

Reaction score
With this debate it comes down to the fact that everyone uses their trucks differently and choice is a good thing. I bought a crew cab with a 6'4" bed. If I had a choice I would have bought a 1500 crew cab with an 8' bed. To me that's the best of both worlds. Give us a choice.

Users who are viewing this thread