5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Turning 2019 RAM 1500 Laramie Longhorn into an emergency generator.

Helopilot

Reaction score
I’m in need of a house hold generator for emergency purposes. A number of friends and co-workers have suggested using my RAM 1500 Longhorn as a generator on wheels. I’ve seen this concept years ago by first responders with engine belt feed generators clear trees from the roads in past wind storms. Here’s my question.... anyone have any experience in this department. I’d want to keep the freezer, refrigerator, a few lights and furnace fan running in a non-earthquake power outage. The RAM has two 110V out lets that I could use but afraid the sine wave power might be too dirty or blow a circuit. There’s DIY products to install inverters but their not generating much wattage. Friends suggested these two products:

Again, any experience or suggests is welcome. Thanks.

2019 RAM 1500 Laramie Longhorn, 5.7L Hemi, 3.21, Maximum Steel Paint, Crew Cab, Level 1, 4x4 short bed. XPEL and ceramic Protection, WeatherTech front floor mats and mud flaps. CarPlay 2.0 wireless CarPlay, AVS low profile rain deflectors, DU-HA under rear seat storage, Level A trauma kit, 3 x 3 day get home EDC packs, stake pocket covers, RAM hitch receiver plug, Weston bed mat, A.R.E. Fusion Tonneau Cover, Kyler Uconnect 12” screen protector, 1000 Lums backup lights, Center console locking box - locker down with digital lock.

RJS

Reaction score
No where near enough wattage for what you are talking about. Buy a decent LPG powered home generator with electric start for under $700 from many sources including Home Depot.
Then you can use your truck if you need it and the LPG won't go bad ( like gasoline) stored in tanks. I had one for a long time before I put in a Generac unit a while back. I back fed mine through my welder circuit in the barn. Just be sure to pull the main breakers so you don't back feed the main power lines.

jodi.deniya

Reaction score
I’m in need of a house hold generator for emergency purposes.
I think you should use Quiet Generator for your house.
Here’s my question.... anyone have any experience in this department. I’d want to keep the freezer, refrigerator, a few lights and furnace fan running in a non-earthquake power outage.
I am used Generac GP2200i generator for my home. It is the best quiet generator for home use. The generator is capable of producing up to 2,200 watts of surge power and 1,700 watts of continuous power, putting it right in line with other generators in this size class on performance and price. The 1.2-gallon fuel tank allows it to have a 10.75-hour runtime at a 25% load. Check here for more details.

Richard320

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
LA County, People's Republic of California
I'm with everyone else: buy a dedicated generator. Something small enough that you can lift it into the truck.

Several years back, we had massive windstorms and power outages all over LA. Parts of Pasadena didn't get power restored for five days! I used my tax refund to buy a pair of 2000w Honda generators. I've got enough meat in the freezer to justify the cost. They can be linked to provide 30A service for an RV, or used individually. They don't provide 240V, so I'd be without the pool pump and the AC, but I could run everything else I consider essential. I have enough extension cords. :) To keep the gas fresh, I run them to power the weedwacker when I edge the lawn. And the hedge trimmer. And the electric chainsaw when I prune trees. And my electric rototiller. And even, when Edison shut off power to replace some poles, the refrigerator and the chest freezer. The stored gasoline doesn't get too old, since lawnmowing happens year-round here, but I have been known to empty the can into my Jeep and refill it when the Jeep gets gassed up.

Users who are viewing this thread