5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Turn off Android Auto?

ShenValley

Reaction score
I've posted several "old guy here" posts on trying to set up my system and to be honest it is kicking my ***. I can use it all but the steps I am having to take is just a PITA. What happens if I just turn off Android Auto? Can I just have the screen where I can easily find my Googlemaps, Waze, Sirius and phone or will this just cause more issues?

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I've posted several "old guy here" posts on trying to set up my system and to be honest it is kicking my ***. I can use it all but the steps I am having to take is just a PITA. What happens if I just turn off Android Auto? Can I just have the screen where I can easily find my Googlemaps, Waze, Sirius and phone or will this just cause more issues?
If you turn off Android Auto, none of those things will show up in your display on the truck

morrpar

Reaction score
Shen,

I understand what you are dealing with. I was hoping AA would be an improvement over Uconnect. It's not. I am thinking about just turning it off and using Uconnect. AA does not always recognize my phone, when I try to make a hands-free call, it says " you have not added any contacts". This was after I used it yesterday. I am still experimenting, but so far, not so good.

Mountain Whiskey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I wondered what, if anything, would now be usable.
I would think you mean usable from your phone.

I have a 21. You have to be plugged in to use AA. I can attach via Bluetooth and still play music or use the phone. Maps can be shown on the phone and the audio comes over the speakers.

I would think if you uninstalled the AA app from your phone, the newer truck would do this.

Why don't you just try plugging it in and see how it functions? You could always just use Google maps and call it a day.

ShenValley

Reaction score
I would think you mean usable from your phone.

I have a 21. You have to be plugged in to use AA. I can attach via Bluetooth and still play music or use the phone. Maps can be shown on the phone and the audio comes over the speakers.

I would think if you uninstalled the AA app from your phone, the newer truck would do this.

Why don't you just try plugging it in and see how it functions? You could always just use Google maps and call it a day.
Plugging in the phone? I plug it in most every time I am in the truck. Or do you mean something else? If I can bluetooth Waze up on the screen and so on then I'll likely do this. Same with my Pandora. I'd like to get AA working as intended but every time I play with it I wind up walking away frustrated.

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
Plugging in the phone? I plug it in most every time I am in the truck. Or do you mean something else? If I can bluetooth Waze up on the screen and so on then I'll likely do this. Same with my Pandora. I'd like to get AA working as intended but every time I play with it I wind up walking away frustrated.
Yes, I mean on old 2021 trucks, in order to use AA you have to plug it into one of the USB ports in the dash. I just wondered if you perhaps turn off your Bluetooth and hook up with the cord if it was any easier for you. Just to see if the navigation is different. Worth a shot.

ShenValley

Reaction score
Yes, I mean on old 2021 trucks, in order to use AA you have to plug it into one of the USB ports in the dash. I just wondered if you perhaps turn off your Bluetooth and hook up with the cord if it was any easier for you. Just to see if the navigation is different. Worth a shot.
I may try it tomorrow just to see.

56 Pontiac

Reaction score
I'm an old guy too (but I have kept up with computers since the TRS-80, so not a total Luddite).

When I was having problems, I uninstalled Android Auto from my phone, then my 2022 Ram asked me to install it, and the Ram + phone walked me through the process. If I remember right, I had to start with the truck dash asking me, then do what it said to the phone, authorize (or something like that) the phone, and when all done, Android Auto worked perfectly - when I get in the truck, I just lay my phone (which is turned on, but not doing anything) in the center bin, when I start my truck, it wirelessly and automatically connects, gives me the little arrow icon on my center 'radio' display, click on it and you get nav! Nav has saved my butt many times (I'd probably still be wandering around in the boonies, of course the Guy Code of Honor would not allow me to stop and ask directions).

I may have had to uninstall Google Maps from phone and truck too, but it has been a while and my half-zheimers is not bringing back full memory.

Hope this helps, from a 76 year old guy.

Dave

ShenValley

Reaction score
I'm an old guy too (but I have kept up with computers since the TRS-80, so not a total Luddite).

When I was having problems, I uninstalled Android Auto from my phone, then my 2022 Ram asked me to install it, and the Ram + phone walked me through the process. If I remember right, I had to start with the truck dash asking me, then do what it said to the phone, authorize (or something like that) the phone, and when all done, Android Auto worked perfectly - when I get in the truck, I just lay my phone (which is turned on, but not doing anything) in the center bin, when I start my truck, it wirelessly and automatically connects, gives me the little arrow icon on my center 'radio' display, click on it and you get nav! Nav has saved my butt many times (I'd probably still be wandering around in the boonies, of course the Guy Code of Honor would not allow me to stop and ask directions).

I may have had to uninstall Google Maps from phone and truck too, but it has been a while and my half-zheimers is not bringing back full memory.

Hope this helps, from a 76 year old guy.

Dave
I'm actually not bad on computers but it is the kind of technology in our trucks and so on that bug the crap out of me. I may have to try what you did.

Ninety-9 SE-L

Reaction score
There's no Wireless AA on the '21? My '22 has wireless AA, I can't imagine they just rolled it out in '22.....I dunno, maybe they did.

Not that it's ever as easy as they say, but Wired connection:

Wireless connection:

Few tricks I learned:
1. Wired connection is going to be more reliable.
2. Wireless connection uses both BT and WiFi together. The BT is only used for the handshake, WiFi handles the heavy lifting.
3. If you are trying to disconnect completely, you need to disable BT and WiFi at the same time, or one will turn the other back on.
4. You should uninstall and re-install AA on your phone to make sure it's the most up-to-date version.
5. Battery Saver on your phone will cause issues. You need to either disable Battery Saver or add an exception for AA on your phone's Settings.
6. On my phone, AA seems to take a lot of battery and the phone gets pretty warm. Wired is best to keep you charged on long trips.

If you want to ditch AA and use the Bluetooth like an older car, I believe you only need to uninstall/disable AA on your phone.
Once you re-pair your phone to your vehicle, it should just be voice and music via BT.

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
There's no Wireless AA on the '21? My '22 has wireless AA, I can't imagine they just rolled it out in '22.....I dunno, maybe they did.

Not that it's ever as easy as they say, but Wired connection:

Wireless connection:

Few tricks I learned:
1. Wired connection is going to be more reliable.
2. Wireless connection uses both BT and WiFi together. The BT is only used for the handshake, WiFi handles the heavy lifting.
3. If you are trying to disconnect completely, you need to disable BT and WiFi at the same time, or one will turn the other back on.
4. You should uninstall and re-install AA on your phone to make sure it's the most up-to-date version.
5. Battery Saver on your phone will cause issues. You need to either disable Battery Saver or add an exception for AA on your phone's Settings.
6. On my phone, AA seems to take a lot of battery and the phone gets pretty warm. Wired is best to keep you charged on long trips.

If you want to ditch AA and use the Bluetooth like an older car, I believe you only need to uninstall/disable AA on your phone.
Once you re-pair your phone to your vehicle, it should just be voice and music via BT.
Yep brand new for '22 ! Our old worn out broke down '21 trucks aren't that fancy.😊

Users who are viewing this thread