5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Turbo Lag

Synergy26

Reaction score
Just got a new 2020 limited ecodiesel with 3.92 and off road package. Seems to have a lot of turbo lag, worried about getting rear-ended at times. Is this normal? Any suggestions?

Reaction score
Oddly, I've never experienced the turbo lag. The truck always seems to have plenty of acceleration, to the point of spinning the tires if I give it too much gas from a standing start. In what sort of situation would this lag present a problem? Merging on the highway towing a heavy load?

KNGSNK11

Reaction score
Mine is laggy af Takes 2-3 or longer it seems to really get going, I have the sprint booster to and it helped some but still laggy I haven't tried race mode 9 but I may just to see how it performs.

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
When Diesel Power magazine asked FCA engineers about the lag, they were told that "it's that way because of how we're dealing with emissions."

You've got to get used to it so that you know when to pull out into traffic and when not to. Mine is the worst when I'm cruising or decelerating at, say, 35-45 MPH and then I get back on the pedal to gain speed again. In that circumstance, I can literally count 3-4 seconds between me pressing the pedal and the truck actually taking off again.

You've got to train your brain to make sure you have plenty of room to merge or make a left hand turn against traffic before actually going for it. It's not like the Hemi where it's gobs of instant power all over the RPM band.

Reaction score
I think the fact that I live out in the middle of nowhere with no traffic has some bearing on my not experiencing any issues with turbo lag. :LOL: However, what I have noticed is that the tranny is often reluctant to downshift when I slow down to round a corner and then try to accelerate back up to speed. I then give it extra gas, and it overreacts by downshifting too many gears. There might be some odd interplay between the turbo lag and transmission programming.

upwindstorm

Reaction score
i read somewhere EPA jumped on FCA on the early ecoboosts about emissions. FCA called the trucks in for a "recall" and the ones who did it described the same issue as a result. so its a their way to make emissions.

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I think the fact that I live out in the middle of nowhere with no traffic has some bearing on my not experiencing any issues with turbo lag. :LOL: However, what I have noticed is that the tranny is often reluctant to downshift when I slow down to round a corner and then try to accelerate back up to speed. I then give it extra gas, and it overreacts by downshifting too many gears. There might be some odd interplay between the turbo lag and transmission programming.
I've had this happen in my Hemi as well occasionally. When coming to a stop and rolling it, it hesitates. It's like the torque converter or a bit of hesitation.

My Jeep SRT did the same thing.

Synergy26

Reaction score
My lag is from a standstill. If I press the gas to hard it jumps, after a couple seconds of lag, not hard enough very slow, not much in between. I'm surprised they can't get the computer to control it better.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread