5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Turbo lag Gen3

Katoom

Reaction score
So I'm new to the RAM ED engine and while I'm really liking it so far one thing I'm finding fairly annoying is the turbo lag of the motor. Just wondering if there's a way to improve that without major "exensive" mods. My extended warranty also prohibits anything like tuners and such and will not cover any repairs if mods like that are found.

Alter Ego Trip

Reaction score
Unfortunately that's the nature of the beast. A tune totally changes that but if not going that route I'd recommend a throttle controller. This will at least remove the lag from the drive by wire setup.

Katoom

Reaction score
I'd love the tune but fear I'd void the warranty.... Not willing to risk that fate!

Alter Ego Trip

Reaction score
Yeah, Stellantis has really cracked down on tunes over the years. I get why, but sucks for those who are just doing minor tweaks. You can always just buy a spare ecm and put the tune on that. If you have any issues drop the stock one back in. A tune won't completely void warranty but could cause issues for power train related problems.

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
This is old info from a GM site. Does it still apply?

"When the ECU leaves the factory, it has a certain number attached to it. Every time it is accessed, the number changes. When the ECU is accessed by a dealer, The dealer records the new number before releasing the car and then uploads that new number to GM for its records.
If the car is presented for warranty service on the drivetrain, the dealer first checks the number on the ECU to make sure it matches the number in GM's records. If the numbers do not match, the engine is considered tampered with and no warranty coverage is provided .

The ECU also records time of service and any gaps in service. If it is taken out of service because the new ECU is used, the old ECU will show that gap"
End of copied post

I don't have a tune but for those who do, it might be worth checking...

Users who are viewing this thread