5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tuning, tires, and driveshaft

Mopar Ram 1500

Reaction score
Hi,
First I would like to say I’m new to the forums and looking to gather some information. If this post is in the wrong thread I apologize in advance I’m new to all of this.

I have a 2019 Ram 1500 2WD lone star edition with a 3.21 rear gear ratio. I’ve had my dealer ship install a Mopar performance cat back exhaust and the Mopar Ram air intake. Next I’m looking to do a PCM swap going with Diablo Sports. Stock I’ve noticed the truck shuts down at 110mph do to rev limiter/governor. Some say the factory sets this do to the speed rating of the stock tires which I know to be true. The speed rating on the stock tires are 118mph. So with that said I know I’ll have to buy higher speed rated tires. My question is how much speed will the stock driveshaft handle? I’ve heard rumors that they will come apart at higher speeds. The Speedo is registered for 120 so I’m sure the stock driveshaft can at least handle that with a good set of tires. Anyone have any insight on this? I guess what I’m saying is how fast can the truck safely go without doing damage to the driveshaft or transmission?

Users who are viewing this thread