5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tuning questions

Tazithman

Reaction score
hey all. Owner of a new 2020 5.7 etorque and had a question about tuning. I previously owned a lightly modded 08 5.7 charger (exhaust/cai/TB/other misc stuff) and remember that the diablo tuners used to have options to can tune based on mods.
I ordered a CAI and Borla catback exhaust system for my new truck and went shopping for a tuner at Diablo. To my surprise, the only canned tunes on their programmers were based on fuel octane with no mention of aftermarket parts. Would I need a custom tune to see benefits of mods or is the stock ECM just good enough it will auto adjust for new fueling/timing with the basic 91 octane tune?

Last edited:

clazer

Reaction score
If it’s like my Camaro, those mods aren’t going to make a big enough change to need a different tune. The O2 sensors will take care of that level of airflow change. Now if you did long tune headers and high flow/no cats, it’s be different.

Nails

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You can manually adjust, if you want to log. I believe you can even send a request to DS they can send up a different tune for bolt ons.

Tazithman

Reaction score
I'll probably buy a tune from hemifever after my parts get here after reading around on the forum as I'm not quite familiar enough with these engines to feel good enough about trimming it myself

Nails

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Unless your going to get LTs or cam down line. A custom tune By itself will benefit well. At a possible risk of lose of warranty. Def don’t install trans tune if that is a issue for you. That will be found. I see you have a ET also, I’ve heard talks of tuning the ET system in conjunction with powertrain tunes also add to enhance performance. Just some food for thought. stock ecm is Very much able to enhance with some bolt ons before big jumps are done.

Tazithman

Reaction score
How does one tune the ET module?

And too late on the trans tune, already bought/hooked up diablo. I did keep original ecu to swap for dealer visits. Figure it will hide my indescretions enough unless they actively look for it

Last edited:

Nails

Ram Guru
Reaction score
ET tune, It coming. When idk, hopefully sooner then later.
It will be a lot of work/R&D on it, and getting it right.

Tcm done huh. well then, hopefully you won’t have any issues or they don’t see it. It’s time to send this pig then!! Lol

Edit: The biggest thing I’ve read regardless of power levels with custom tuning. People’s reaction is how great it drives...now. Torque management controlled or removed. That’s good stuff especially with trans

Last edited:

Tazithman

Reaction score
Biggest problem with factory is throttle response. Testing before new tune, pedal halfway to the floor was only sending a 30%signal for absolute throttle so you almost have to floor it for any quick response.
With the 91 octane tune, throttle is actually linear with pedal making response much nicer. I dont plan on racing this thing, but I did similar mods on my 08 charger and not only was it snappier but also got an extra 4mpg. Saw videos on YouTube that showed similar results on this truck

Nails

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I guess I’m just numb to the throttle response. If I ever feel it is sluggish. I manually reset it. Push to run position engine off. Acc pedal to floor and back up. Start engine. I didn’t believe it, did notice a difference.

Users who are viewing this thread