5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tuner, or pay the dealer to program new tire size?

Bansheeman6100

Reaction score
the truck is a 2020 Bighorm, 4x4, standard 5.7. i have leveled it and put 35's on it, and after 8k miles of roadtripping this summer without having it reprogrammed, its time to get the speedo and transmission properly calibrated. the local dealer wants $200 to do it, or the other option is graba tuner that allows me to do it myself. but are there additional perks or reasons that justify the extra cost? im coming from the siesel worls, where a tuner is 100% worth it, but i have never put a tuner on a gas truck before. also, can any of the tuners disable the TPMS light? my wheels have interference issues with the receivers and sensors

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
You don't need a tuner to recalibrate your speedometer. If you're fortunate enough to have an Android phone/tablet or a Windows based laptop, you can do the job yourself with AlfaOBD. You'll also need a security bypass module and an OBDII reader. All can be had for about $150. There are plenty of threads about which products to buy and what can be programmed with AlfaOBD.

Last edited:

Alejandro_Andretti

Reaction score
Why recalibrate? I have a level and 35s too haven’t recalibrated in a couple thousand miles.

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Probably so his speedometer won’t be off due to the different tire size. Yep get Alfa and reprogram it yourself, wouldn’t cost about the same maybe a bit more then what a dealer would charge you plus you can do so much more with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Bansheeman6100

Reaction score
Well, ordered the hardware, and am aboit to download alpha as well. And yes, I want to calibrate for speed correction as well as the odometer. Going from stock 32"s to the roughly 35.5" makes a huge difference. Hopefully I can try and reprogram the TPMS as well, or shut the light off if not. The wheels and tires I have seem to have interference issues with the receivers

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
if you dont recalibrate, your odometer and oil life will be off as well.

Users who are viewing this thread