5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tuned shocks?

Jack.

Reaction score
So I probably already know the answer to this but.. while i am currently waiting out for the carli commuter system i have also found some fox 2.0 coil overs kit. I was curious if carli will actually be "Custom tune" or can i complete their kit by purchasing cjc UCA, end links, and springs?

In a sense is the fox 2.0 coil over soon to be release by carli has any performance benefit over a fox 2.0 coilover i can purchase from lets say shock surplus or something.

Thanks!

Whoa_Ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I too am waiting for the Carli kit to come out. I just asked a few days ago and they told me it would be released in the next few months. Whatever that means. Lol

I believe Carli changes the gas pressure that the fox shocks come with. My assumption is that they just increase it a few psi and probably change out the spring for a much softer spring rate. Don’t know how much of a difference right quality would be but I’m there with you I’m close to just pulling the trigger on some standard fox 2.0’s.

ferraiolo1

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Note the 2.0s aren’t rebuildable like the 2.5s. So when they wear out due to mileage you just throw them away.

2.5s cost more up front, but you can send them out to be serviced at 50k like fox recommends vs wasting money on 2.0s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Whoa_Ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Note the 2.0s aren’t rebuildable like the 2.5s. So when they wear out due to mileage you just throw them away.

2.5s cost more up front, but you can send them out to be serviced at 50k like fox recommends vs wasting money on 2.0s.

Yeah it's just the cost difference it double. Ugh decisions...

SKT Customs

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
Carli custom tunes for the truck and for the specific spring rate they choose for the truck. While I haven’t personally compared them to a generic 2.0 I’d be willing to bet the ride is much nicer on the carli’s. An OK shock (2.0) with a great tune will ride great. A great shock (2.5) with an OK tune will ride OK. That’s my opinion at least!

LoNeStAr

Ram Guru
Reaction score

That is not accurate. I reached out to Fox and they said the 2.0 are rebuildable. It’s $75 a piece

Whoa_Ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Carli custom tunes for the truck and for the specific spring rate they choose for the truck. While I haven’t personally compared them to a generic 2.0 I’d be willing to bet the ride is much nicer on the carli’s. An OK shock (2.0) with a great tune will ride great. A great shock (2.5) with an OK tune will ride OK. That’s my opinion at least!
Yeah that is why is I've been trying to hold off for this commuter kit. My other option is I'll go with the BDS 2" coilover kit, but that's quite a bit of money in the end.

ferraiolo1

Reaction score
That is not accurate. I reached out to Fox and they said the 2.0 are rebuildable. It’s $75 a piece

Weird. They told me they were not. One of the reasons I went with the 2.5. That and the random collar breaking issues they could have.

And it was $75 for the 2.5 rebuild.

LoNeStAr

Ram Guru
Reaction score
i don’t know. I am just going off what they told me.

ferraiolo1

Reaction score
Those are all the 2.0 shocks. Not the 2.0 coil overs. Maybe that’s where the confusion was.

I don’t see the 2.0 CO mentioned unless I missed it.

LoNeStAr

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I just got off the phone with Brandon in the Fox service department and he said they are rebuildable. To make sure I said these are the shocks that come with the Mopar 2” lift kit for Ram 1500 and again he said yes. He also said all the shocks they make are rebuildable.

Jack.

Reaction score
Oh nice so the 2.0 coilover are rebuildable hmm. I've actually never had a shock rebuild before though if I'm being honest ☠. Would I just go to a local shop kind of thing or would I have to take it off, send it into fox and etc?

AccuTune Offroad

Reaction score
The shocks in their kits are likely tuned in advanced and ordered like that. Most likely a set tune for their kit and spring rates and NOT specifically for your truck, its actual weight and your driving preference. Those shocks will certainly have different valving than just a standard coilover off the shelf. Generic coilover off the shelf may not be sprung or valved to work for your custom truck.

The 2.0 IFP shocks (non remote reservoir) technically can be rebuilt, however it's something that we would recommend sending in to Fox to have done due to the construction of those shocks. Remote reservoir shocks are much easier to deal with and just about any shock service shock can work on those and get parts easily.

Last edited:

AccuTune Offroad

Reaction score
Oh nice so the 2.0 coilover are rebuildable hmm. I've actually never had a shock rebuild before though if I'm being honest ☠. Would I just go to a local shop kind of thing or would I have to take it off, send it into fox and etc?
You will need to send them in, or drop them off at a shop to be done properly.

Jack.

Reaction score
I too am waiting for the Carli kit to come out. I just asked a few days ago and they told me it would be released in the next few months. Whatever that means. Lol

I believe Carli changes the gas pressure that the fox shocks come with. My assumption is that they just increase it a few psi and probably change out the spring for a much softer spring rate. Don’t know how much of a difference right quality would be but I’m there with you I’m close to just pulling the trigger on some standard fox 2.0’s.

Yeah I really want the carli but I guess ill wait another couple months. I was told initally when I asked in Oct that we would get them in Dec, and now it's changed to Feb haha. I'm also very close to either going with bds 2.5 or a standard fox 2.0 coilover

Users who are viewing this thread