5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tune/Procharger/Warranty/Life choices

Hallbag

Reaction score
I know this question tends to get some heated/critical responses so just sit out if you haven't had your coffee today please! You can see my truck below, I am POTENTIALLY looking at trying to juice her up a bit. Start with Jay Greene tune then get spicy and go whipple/procharger later? Here are my questions for those who have direct knowledge:

1) I currently have the maxcare extended warranty, any of these mods has the ability to void a warranty, do I just cancel the maxcare? or do I keep it because the freaking 12" screen costs $4-5k so if that ever broke the maxcare would pay for itself? similar story for any of the electronics away from the drivetrain
2) There are always if/what/thens when pulling the pcm but is there a way to give yourself the best chance of keeping warranty work if something breaks? Do you keep the stock pcm and throw it in every dealer visit to hope they dont notice and have it show constant flashes throughout its life (I know there are codes that will say pcm has been affected/switched but maybe they dont look)? Do you install the base engine tunes but stay away from any trans tunes because they'll be more strict with that? Just trying to hear other's opinions on this will DEFINITELY kill your chances, this might not, etc
3) Does every single component of the drivetrain lose warranty status with the whipple/procharger? Again, I know they have to prove the mod caused the issue but lets be honest, if the trans blows they're not going to do a very thorough CSI other than to point fingers and leave it in my hands to fight back. Maybe I am answering my own question here...

I was also hoping to have this post stir up some folks who have gone with Jay in the past. I have seen a few posts end before the OP has come back with a real review of the tune, or if anyone has gotten on the dyno to prove gains, so hopefully this inspires people to chime in now.

OldMarine

Ram Guru
Reaction score
if it makes your decision any different...the 12" display is $1340..not $4-5K.

Moparian

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yea as soon as I get done buying a house I am saving for the Whipple kit. I really wish I had the money over memorial day as there was a place selling them for under $6k,

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Theres a Dodge Charger forum question about the same thing but its too old 2009. Here’s a Ford Mustang forum query which is basically asking the same thing. Note that Ford performance parts include a supercharger and that’s ok if installed by a Ford dealer... perhaps FCA has the same thing. May be worth investigating.

Ford Mustang Forum (/forums/)
- 2011-2014 Mustang Talk ( )
- - Supercharger that won't void your warranty?( )

wilson68944
07-13-2013 04:32 AM​
Supercharger that won't void your warranty?

I remember hearing somewhere that a you can buy a supercharger from a particular company and your Ford factory warranty will stay intact and not be voided.

This may have just been a rumor and it does sound too good to be true. I wondered if any of you guys have heard of this and if so what brand is it?

I've been toying with the idea of getting a supercharger ever since I bought my '14 GT in April. But the potential loss of the warranty along with of course blowing my motor :) is what's holding me back.

Thanks!

PS- What supercharger do you think is the best value in terms of output for the dollar?

2Manystangs
07-13-2013 05:52 AM​
I don't think so, it's well known they will do anything to void warranty claims..some like Edelbrock offer a warranty for an additional cost

Lothar
07-13-2013 06:06 AM​
There are a couple of superchargers made by Ford Racing for your model GT, that need to be installed by a Ford dealer for their warranty to be valid. I'm not sure how they affect the engine's warranty though.

Jr's stang
07-13-2013 08:55 AM​
It is subjective also by what dealer you go to. The dealership I used said they would honor the warranty with a roush supercharge as well since roush worked with ford to develop it. As long as it is not tuned too aggressively. The service manager even offered me in writing that if I bought one, installed it and blew my motor, if ford denied the claim that he would still honor the warranty at the dealership's expense.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

stevegt2012
07-13-2013 09:12 AM​
Ford warranty is out the window for any problems that are caused by the supercharger. However, Roush, Whipple and Edelbrock offer a limited power train warranty that replaces part of the Ford warranty.

Users who are viewing this thread