5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tune or Not?

CaptainMax

Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

I just got my 2023 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel, and probably like many of you, I am trying to decide whether or not I need to tune. If I were to tune, I would go with EOC Stage 1. I do not really need the added performance the tune offers nor the improvement in throttle lag, as I can get a pedal monster. My main concern is the longevity and maintenance of the motor and if the 3rd Gens are having the same problems as the 2nd and 1st Gens. This is my daily driver, and I have about a 10-mile commute each way during the weekdays; however, most weekends, I drive around 100-250 miles. I believe this is good enough to clear the soot build-up, but I am asking for opinions.

I know the tune is great, it will wake the truck up, and all that but for an additional $1500, do I really need it?

Any advice and or input is greatly appreciated.

Snotadoodge

Reaction score
I was looking into this for my 21 5.7, but decided not to because I do not want to impact reliability. Not sure the truck is considered reliable as it goes and what happens if I adjust the dynamic of the motor. Will it affect the engine speeds during transmission shifts and thus hurt the tranny? I think RAM tries to build a reliable truck and perhaps the things I would change were created on purpose with billions of miles of data. Who am I to know better than RAM?
That said, I did delete my muffler to create an amazing sound and I guess I could be doing the same thing to the motor by affecting back pressure and such. Who knows?

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
A tune would only increase performance and the way an engine runs.
You just need to find someone who isn't an idiot and can properly tune your vehicle.

None needs a tune, no one needs a loud exhaust, no one needs a 33 gallon fuel tank but people sure do want them and get them.
It's your money if you want it then go for it. It's not going to be a downgrade and can only increase the life of your engine if anything as it will be tuned to exactly how and where it is running. Not what the factory thinks was good before the truck was built and any parts had their break in period take effect.

CalvinC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Its my belief based on custom tuning experience that a truly custom tune, written by a tuner that really knows the platform, and perfected through many revisions via data logging & observation-based feedback, will be a more reliable tune in the long run than the factory tune.

Like people, motors and transmissions have varying personalities, and operate in varying conditions.

Trouble is, it can be very difficult to distinguish between the Expert Tuners and the novices when few in the community get it tuned & share their experience.

Forums are great for this research. Unfortunately I am not a diesel guy (though plenty experience tuning turbo motors), so I don't have a reference for a EcoDiesel tuner.

Malodave

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have been Running the GDE tune for over a Year now. You just have to watch the Dealer, cause they overwrite the PCM
when doing Recall work. I still have the DEF and HPFP recalls to do. I will be waiting until late summer to do these as they
will overwrite the PCM again. I can get back to GDE in September to reflash the Tune and clone a spare PCM I have.

Malodave

Users who are viewing this thread