5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tuffy Lockbox (with discount code)

pickawinner

Reaction score
I wanted a secure under seat storage for my rifles and other valuables. I considered DU-HA (https://www.du-ha.com/lockbox.html), but ultimately decided on the Tuffy (https://tuffyproducts.com/products/ram-rear-underseat-lockbox-ram-2019-2021-1500/) lockbox. While DU-HA costs less than Tuffy and cost always matters, I ultimately went with Tuffy because DU-HA is made of polyethylene (plastic) and Tuffy is made of 16 GA steel. DU-HA has one wide lid, which must be locked/unlocked from both sides of the truck, whereas Tuffy has a 60/40 split lid with two locks on the 60 side and one on the 40. This makes Tuffy a bit more secure and easier to access than DU-HA.

I ordered mine from https://overland4x4usa.com/ (discount code at the end of the post). It arrived in good condition. No issues. The installation was fairly straight forward. The only minor snag is the holes in the brackets that attach to the seat rail are too small for the rail “block” to fit through.

When you unbolt the front side of the seat rail, you’ll find this 1” X 1” block welded to the bottom of the rail. I’m guessing this block adds strength and rigidity to the rail assembly.
IMG_20211029_144230.jpg

Anyway, when you try to fit the lockbox brackets where they’re supposed to go this block doesn’t go through the bracket and just sits on top.
IMG_20211029_153113.jpg

Per Tuffy technical support, your two options:
  • Enlarge the bracket hole for the block to fit through. Presumably you could use Dremel or files to do that.
  • Just bolt down the rail and the bracket will bend and deform to the required shape.
I opted for the 2nd option and it worked out well. The bracket bent and the rail went back in the original position.
IMG_20211029_153104.jpg

The one mod I made to the lockbox was to line the inside with something soft to minimize the scratching of the box and the valuables and to deaden the noise of anything that may rattle around. Of course, there’s a thousand and one ways this could be done. I had felt packing blankets and hot glue lying around, so I went to town with those, plus I kinda like the option the plastic glue gives me in case I ever want to rip out or replace the lining.

I first made a paper stencil, then cut the blanket to the stencil. It took some trial and error, but I eventually found a good way to glue the blanket to the inside of the box. I first applied the plastic glue to the inside of the box. Let it cool off and dry.
IMG_20211031_150414.jpg

Then laid out the felt blanket inside using a bunch of magnets to hold it in position. What? You don’t have a bunch of magnets stuck all over the inside of your toolbox? You mean you didn’t tear apart old hard drives and pull out the platters and magnets before you threw them out? haha

Then I heated the outside of the box with the heat gun and pressed and smoothed the blanket from the inside. It came out OK.
IMG_20211031_163306.jpg

Installed:
IMG_20211108_124720.jpg

Like I said, I got mine from https://overland4x4usa.com/. They have good inventory and good service. Here’s the direct link to the lockbox. Discount code N27S6E52NIG will get you 10% off on all Tuffy products through the end of the year.

Modstang

Reaction score
Can you take a side shot with the seat down? I'm curios if it affects leg room.

TriSum

Reaction score
Pickawinner is there any issue with putting a long gun in from the drivers side with that cross brace going across the top? I read on one review that the gentleman had to pull the barrel off of his shotgun to get it in the box. Not the best scenario in an emergency situation.

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread