5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Trying to slim down my tool kit

yaksushi

Reaction score
I've been keeping a 232 piece Kobalt tool kit (similar to the photo) in my truck but the box is too damn big and I just don't think I need all of those in the truck. What mechanical tools do you keep in your trucks. I'd like to slim down what I'm currently lugging around.

099198816807[1].jpg

jmyler

Reaction score
Haha I came on this morning to post this exact same thing, except I’m starting from scratch and trying to keep it to one tool bag as I don’t have a toolbox. So far I just threw a bunch of my duplicate wrenches and sockets and tried to put as many multi-tools in as I could, I.e. one screw driver that has bit storage in the handle and one other bit storage for misc hex and other oddities. Looking forward to following this thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yaksushi

Reaction score
Haha I came on this morning to post this exact same thing, except I’m starting from scratch and trying to keep it to one tool bag as I don’t have a toolbox. So far I just threw a bunch of my duplicate wrenches and sockets and tried to put as many multi-tools in as I could, I.e. one screw driver that has bit storage in the handle and one other bit storage for misc hex and other oddities. Looking forward to following this thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I don't think I've used anything but metric on the truck so that should be a decent starting point. Hopefully folks will have more insight. Hate to slim down to find out in the middle of no where I need something that I removed!

MayhemMOORE

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I too am looking to put together a small kit to keep under the backseat or in one of the rambin's. I've looked at smaller ones in the stores and feel like there is just too much stuff I'd never need, plus I have a ton of duplicate tools at home. I'm just going to get a notepad and go around the truck writing down sizes of various fasteners I may need to tighten/remove if the event arose and I was away from home. Then I will probably pick the appropriate wrench and socket for each size, along with a few screwdrivers, hex keys, and torx bits. Things like tape (electrical & duct), zip-ties, small can of penetrating spray, hammer/mallet, and some disposable gloves are also good to keep on-hand. I'll post back here once I come up with a decent list to see if anyone has anything to add that I missed.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I have a set of metric 3/8 drive sockets - 8mm to 19mm, phillips and flat screwdrivers, metric set of combination end wrenches - 8mm to 19mm, a couple of plastic interior pry tools, utility knife, crescent wrench, assortment of pliers, and hammer. These are all in a small tool tote which fits in one of my ramboxes. I've never needed them for my truck, but I've been able to help other people with them LOL.

MayhemMOORE

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’ve almost got a kit finished up. Just waiting on a set of wrenches that run 6-24mm in a roll-up pouch. With what I’ve put together you should pretty much be able to do anything aside from a full engine overhaul on the side of the road. It’ll all fit in a craftsman tool bag I picked up at Lowe’s. As soon as I have the wrenches in hand I’ll post up a full layout of everything.

Users who are viewing this thread