5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Trying to disconnect HK subwoofer w/o success: what am I doing wrong?

Buz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I also plugged the sub back in and removed it from the enclosure and noticed all the boom was gone. It actually sounded real good plugged in and just lying on the back floor
Seriously? It creates decent bass without an enclosure? If so, you may be on to something.
Did it sound appreciably better hooked up and just hanging there vs. having it unplugged?
I wonder if any sound engineers could chime in and suggest a way to attach it back there, but not in the cheap plastic box it's normally in?

Johnny_H

Reaction score
Seriously? It creates decent bass without an enclosure? If so, you may be on to something.
Did it sound appreciably better hooked up and just hanging there vs. having it unplugged?
I wonder if any sound engineers could chime in and suggest a way to attach it back there, but not in the cheap plastic box it's normally in?

After living with this system for a few days with the sub unplugged, it really is an amazing sounding system. Even the satellite radio sounds decent, but it really shines with Bluetooth and CarPlay music. I’m actually super happy with it now. There definitely is still room for improvement.

I think either upgraded 6x9s or just a significantly dampened sub (or preferably an isolated sub volume level and crossover adjustment) would make it perfect.

That being said when the sub was just laying on the floor there you could only pick up a hint of bass. As soon as you placed it back on the box there was brain rattling bass. The harness is super easy to plug and unplug once you access it so I had maybe 20 minutes of seat time fiddling with it back and forth and in and out but I really do think it sounded great taken out while still plugged in. If I was good with wires I would just extend it and leave it plugged in lying in the space under the rear seat. Maybe ram had this system optimized and just screwed up the sub box afterwards. I swear if this sub could be toned down 75% it would be one of the best sounding factory systems ever made.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Johnny_H

Reaction score
So after 3 weeks unplugged I plugged the sub back in. A couple reasons.

1) I missed the deeper bass in a lot of music - particularly rock - more so guitar heavy modern lacked a lot of bass and depth. My daughters hip hop **** just needs the bass setting at -5.

2) The ANC clearly was gone with the sub disconnected and made a huge difference in cabin noise. The engine, wind, and tire noise was appreciably louder. After three weeks without ANC, plugging it back in almost makes the truck like a soundproof booth. Like turning on and off noise cancelling headphones on an airplane - but not nearly as dramatic. It really did give me an appreciation for the ANC.

What I did do before I plugged it back in was add a bunch of acoustic egg crate foam over the sub and this seems to have quieted down the boom. Still have some great bass and it’s still very responsive. I just sandwiched it between the sub box and the carpet and fastened everything back together. I’m pretty happy again.

Buz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So after 3 weeks unplugged I plugged the sub back in. A couple reasons.

1) I missed the deeper bass in a lot of music - particularly rock - more so guitar heavy modern lacked a lot of bass and depth. My daughters hip hop **** just needs the bass setting at -5.

2) The ANC clearly was gone with the sub disconnected and made a huge difference in cabin noise. The engine, wind, and tire noise was appreciably louder. After three weeks without ANC, plugging it back in almost makes the truck like a soundproof booth. Like turning on and off noise cancelling headphones on an airplane - but not nearly as dramatic. It really did give me an appreciation for the ANC.

What I did do before I plugged it back in was add a bunch of acoustic egg crate foam over the sub and this seems to have quieted down the boom. Still have some great bass and it’s still very responsive. I just sandwiched it between the sub box and the carpet and fastened everything back together. I’m pretty happy again.

Interesting.
I did not realize that ANC is lost by disconnecting the sub?
Even the thought of a quieter cabin is not enough to offset the absurdly unbalanced system with the sub attached.
I'll take more road noise over that pathetically balanced system that is a true disaster for any sound aficionado.

Johnny_H

Reaction score
Try sound insulation over the sub box. I plugged it back in then put a couple square feet of this stuff between the carpet and sub and it really has quieted the boom and allows you to turn the bass up without rattling your skull. I hear a lot more mid range bass now and it actually sounds great.

HOUTBY Silent Sound Absorber 20mm Acoustic Foam Car Deadening Proofing 50cm X 100cm https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07DL2TTZH...t_i_WSG7R1T8P8EPTFBG0KTG?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

I also found the system is very sensitive to the source EQ and a few settings on my iPhone sound terrible and I’ve settled on either the rock or jazz setting.

jastevenson

Reaction score
Interesting. Did you just place a flat sheet of sound dampener between the carpet and the sub, or did you actually wrap the sound dampener around the sub?

Johnny_H

Reaction score
I tried stuffing insulation in the box and behind the sub but it didn’t seem to change anything. I just placed the foam sheet between the sub/sub box and the carpet, it holds in place just by friction when you put the carpet back and I think it helps.

Users who are viewing this thread