5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Trying to decide between three different configurations

The Critic

Reaction score
Greetings - I am in the market for a new 1500 and am trying to decide between 3 different crew cab configurations:

Truck A: Bighorn 4x2, 5.7 eTorque, Level 2 pkg, Anti-Spin Rear Diff, 3.21 gears and bucket seats. $34k + tax
Truck B: Bighorn 4x4, 5.7, Level 2 pkg, Night Edition pkg, Anti-Spin Rear Diff, 3.92 gears, bucket seats. $38.5k + tax
Truck C: Laramie 4x4, 5.7, 3.92 gears, rubber mats, trailer brake control, bench seats. $40k + tax

This truck will be used for Home Depot runs, road trips and an occasional trip to the junkyard or dump. No plans of going to the snow or off-roading. Annual mileage is 5-7k/yr. I am trying to make a practical decision but also want to futureproof within reason. My budget is around 40k but has flexibility if a particular configuration offers a stronger long-term value proposition. Also, feel free to suggest options that I may have overlooked.

Which truck should I choose and why?

Thanks!

Last edited:

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I like truck B or C, with the edge going to truck B. Sounds like you wont need trailer brakes and the bucket seat is a nicer place to sit. Truck A has the potential to get stuck on wet grass, you may only need 4 wheel drive once or twice but you'll be thankful you have it. Truck A will get better mpg than B or C as it's 2x4 and has 3.21 gearing

Jako

Reaction score
Long term or short term ownership? Level 2 gives dual heat/cool - how do you get along with front seat passenger? My understanding is the bucket and bench seats are the same with the console being different. I prefer the bench for comfort (knee, 6' 1") and 6 passenger capacity. Seat coverings on the models? The bench is not a preferred option. Not sure how resale value would be for a 4X2 or bench seat - back to long term / short term. If mpg is an issue than 3.21 and 4X2 is the best bet.
Level 2 gives you 8.5 Nav., if you don't get Level 2 what size is the screen in the Laramie? I would pass on anything smaller than the 8.5 screen. I have a Bighorn, level 2 and I think it brings me up to a Laramie. A B or C have LED lighting? Very pleased with the LEDs.

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Most practical is truck A. Has what you "need" and the Level 2 package on the Big Horn has the extras.

Resale value would probably be Truck C: Hemi, leather seats, and 4x4. Although no anti-spin/e-locker in the rear will be a detractor.

Go sit in them, drive them around, and play with the features to see what makes you the most happy.

Don't be sold by any one because the feature options are different. You need to see them to decide what you like.

There are some "basic" features in the Laramie that you can't get in a Big Horn like driver memory buttons, leather seats, and dual power seats. Also, at those prices I am guessing that neither Big Horn will have the Premium LED lighting, which is standard on the Laramie.

Fatherof3

Reaction score
Option A would be the cheapest all around
Option B would be nice for the buckets
Option C would be nice for the leather and power seats .
Are all of them crew cabs ?
IMHO out of the three choices I’d go with option A judging by what you said you’re using it for .

The Critic

Reaction score
Long term or short term ownership? Level 2 gives dual heat/cool - how do you get along with front seat passenger? My understanding is the bucket and bench seats are the same with the console being different. I prefer the bench for comfort (knee, 6' 1") and 6 passenger capacity. Seat coverings on the models? The bench is not a preferred option. Not sure how resale value would be for a 4X2 or bench seat - back to long term / short term. If mpg is an issue than 3.21 and 4X2 is the best bet.
Level 2 gives you 8.5 Nav., if you don't get Level 2 what size is the screen in the Laramie? I would pass on anything smaller than the 8.5 screen. I have a Bighorn, level 2 and I think it brings me up to a Laramie. A B or C have LED lighting? Very pleased with the LEDs.
Long-term - I tend to keep my vehicles for 200k. MPG is always a consideration - I just do not want to wasting gas due to pointless options. Front passenger will be the wife and she likes her comfort features. I prefer buckets over the bench as well, but the wife feels there is some value to the bench due to the extra seat so having a bench should not be a complete deal breaker.

All of the trucks have the 8.4" screen and neither of the Bighorns have LED lights.

Most practical is truck A. Has what you "need" and the Level 2 package on the Big Horn has the extras.

Resale value would probably be Truck C: Hemi, leather seats, and 4x4. Although no anti-spin/e-locker in the rear will be a detractor.

Go sit in them, drive them around, and play with the features to see what makes you the most happy.

Don't be sold by any one because the feature options are different. You need to see them to decide what you like.

There are some "basic" features in the Laramie that you can't get in a Big Horn like driver memory buttons, leather seats, and dual power seats. Also, at those prices I am guessing that neither Big Horn will have the Premium LED lighting, which is standard on the Laramie.
Correct, neither Bighorn has the Premium LED lighting or the upgraded audio system.

Option A would be the cheapest all around
Option B would be nice for the buckets
Option C would be nice for the leather and power seats .
Are all of them crew cabs ?
IMHO out of the three choices I’d go with option A judging by what you said you’re using it for .
All are crew cabs. Thank you.

hunter1234

Reaction score
Driving is best, I like the bench as it gets rid of the center knee banger and have gone with that option in a 2016 and my 2020. I sat in both and could not really tell the difference in the actual seats but I may be missing something. I would miss the anti-spin differential in a 4x4, too much snow and ice here. Even though I tow a 4000 lb load, I do not tow to the extent I need the 3.92 axel, the gears are about the same with a lower gear in the 3.92 and a higher gear in the 3.21 and in most situation you are probably in the middle gears and would not notice much of a difference (good article on the two axels in the forum). I prefer the MPG, so the 3.21 is what I have on the 2020. If I did have to choose - option "B" likely would be my choice, seems to be equip for what I would use a truck for, though I do like my Laramie. Option "A" would be a good alternative in the south or below the snow belt, I see a lot of 4x2 trucks in the south and they work, here in the Midwest I would never consider one (resale and driving in the winter would be big factors).

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'd go truck B. 4x4 is life saving when you need it.
T

Wakesnowb

Reaction score
I went with a Laramie for myself with the bench seat and 3.92. Absolutely love it. The thing that sucks about your config C is that trailer brake controller. I think that eliminates the surround view camera as the brake controller comes with the tow mirrors. Of course I do not think the surround view camera is available on the Big Horns either though so I would still go with the Laramie but of course I am a little bias since I have one and enjoy the creature comforts of it personally. The bench seat has same bucket seats for driver and passenger seat as the center console config would have on the Laramie just fyi.

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The trailer tow group has the tow mirrors but the trailer brake controller (TBC) does not.

If it has the TBC and regular mirrors then all the features are there if the truck came with them.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Long-term - I tend to keep my vehicles for 200k. MPG is always a consideration - I just do not want to wasting gas due to pointless options. Front passenger will be the wife and she likes her comfort features. I prefer buckets over the bench as well, but the wife feels there is some value to the bench due to the extra seat so having a bench should not be a complete deal breaker.

All of the trucks have the 8.4" screen and neither of the Bighorns have LED lights.

Correct, neither Bighorn has the Premium LED lighting or the upgraded audio system.

All are crew cabs. Thank you.
If those are the only three options, I'd go with C. It sounds like you and your wife are looking for different things. You seem to be more utilitarian, and she wants comfort. Here are the two main reasons I would recommend the Laramie:

1. Your wife likes her comfort. The Big Horns are comfortable, but the Laramie is more comfortable IMHO. More soft touch surfaces and leather trimmed seats. Plus, you get ventilated front seats with the Laramie, which are not available in the Big Horn. Of course, comfort is subjective, and It's my opinion that the Laramie is more comfortable. Has your wife ridden in all three of these trucks? You know what they say, happy wife happy life.

2. The LED lights are just better than the halogens. There's no comparison. If you really want a Big Horn, at least find one with the premium LED lightning.

I'm sure you have your reasons, but why are you limiting yourself to those three trucks? They are really quite different from each other. My suggestion would be to take a little more time if you can, and discuss with your wife to find a compromise on what you both want in a truck. Then either try to find one on a lot which meets those needs, or order one with exactly what you want. Good luck with your decision.

One final thought...you didn't mention fuel tank size. Keep in mind that there are three tank sizes. 23, 26 and 33 gallon. I didn't really pay much attention to tank size when I was shopping, and ended up with a Laramie crew cab hemi with a 23 gallon tank. Now I really wish I would have paid attention to that detail because it seems like I'm always having to fill up my peanut sized tank.

Last edited:

RAM Patriot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If you are going to the dump and pulling a trailer or going off road at all. I would go with option B.

You will be glad that you picked a 4X4. (y)

It is the best bang for your buck.

JJRamTX

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Greetings - I am in the market for a new 1500 and am trying to decide between 3 different crew cab configurations:

Truck A: Bighorn 4x2, 5.7 eTorque, Level 2 pkg, Anti-Spin Rear Diff, 3.21 gears and bucket seats. $34k + tax
Truck B: Bighorn 4x4, 5.7, Level 2 pkg, Night Edition pkg, Anti-Spin Rear Diff, 3.92 gears, bucket seats. $38.5k + tax
Truck C: Laramie 4x4, 5.7, 3.92 gears, rubber mats, trailer brake control, bench seats. $40k + tax

This truck will be used for Home Depot runs, road trips and an occasional trip to the junkyard or dump. No plans of going to the snow or off-roading. Annual mileage is 5-7k/yr. I am trying to make a practical decision but also want to futureproof within reason. My budget is around 40k but has flexibility if a particular configuration offers a stronger long-term value proposition. Also, feel free to suggest options that I may have overlooked.

Which truck should I choose and why?

Thanks!

I would go with B if this was my choice. All of what you need and available 4x4 when you have the extra need you don't expect. I used to have a bench seat in my Laramie but I wouldn't go back to it now and 3.92 makes the whole thing fun and way more sporty and you aren't going to drive enough miles a year to see the mileage make much of a dent.

Finn5033

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have a night edition big horn 4x4 with level 2 and that’s what I would pick if I were you. The only thing the Laramie has that I wish I did is the headlights. Other than that I don’t like leather so that’s why I didn’t go that route. I would skip option A. As others have said, you may not need 4x4 often but man you will be glad you have it when you do need it

The Critic

Reaction score
Thanks again guys.

Here are some pictures of the truck with all accessories installed except for the bed step, bed rails and tonneau cover. I need to find some time next week to install those items.

8dae5ebdb27a697b2a86c2fa31b48aa5.jpg

5ba3a6c986f220d2c1e4209b1bc3bc52.jpg

Close up picture of the tint (3M Crystalline 70% on front windshield and front side windows, 3M Ceramic IR 35% on the rear side window and sliding rear window):
24346e37517768ccdfaf418ab5046089.jpg

fefb66a5b8897a20f6a3dbf49391a104.jpg

e6a97ea59d1c07644423824f5f68fc60.jpg

PPF getting installed (full hood, fenders, headlights, bottom 1/4 of cab and bed, rockers):
ba15e092f9fa2d2c5cdcf940b139587a.jpg

Last edited:

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Thanks again guys.

Here are some pictures of the truck with all accessories installed except for the bed step, bed rails and tonneau cover. I need to find some time next week to install those items.

8dae5ebdb27a697b2a86c2fa31b48aa5.jpg

5ba3a6c986f220d2c1e4209b1bc3bc52.jpg

Close up picture of the tint (3M Crystalline 70 on windshield and front side windows, 3M Ceramic IR 35 on the rear sides and rear window):
24346e37517768ccdfaf418ab5046089.jpg

fefb66a5b8897a20f6a3dbf49391a104.jpg

e6a97ea59d1c07644423824f5f68fc60.jpg

PPF getting installed (full hood, fenders, headlights, bottom 1/4 of cab and bed, rockers):
ba15e092f9fa2d2c5cdcf940b139587a.jpg
Beautiful looking truck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online