5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Trying to choose between loaded up Backcountry and Laramie Night/ORG

deanno33

Reaction score
I'm contemplating ordering a new truck from MD. I'm a little torn between the two builds below. Unless I'm missing something (which is likely) the Backcountry seems to be a better value. But, I'm guessing resale will always be better on the Laramie. I understand this is all personal preference, but what am I maybe not thinking of?

The Backcountry (Silver, Level B, premium light group, tech package, blind spot, trailer brake controls, 9 amplified Alpine system, rear under seat storage, rear wheel liners):
MSRP – 64,430
Mark – 57,021
All incentives 6,000
Price – 51,021 +$425 +$4

The Laramie (silver, level B, night package, off road group, rear wheel liners, all weather mats):
MSRP $70,545
Mark Dodge 13% $9171
RAM Standalone 10% offer $7055
Combined $54,319 +$425 +$4

The backcountry would have over the Laramie:
  • Bed Utility group
  • Deploying bed step
  • Tonneau cover
  • Tech Package
  • Trailer brake controller
The Laramie would have over the backcountry:
  • Power passenger seat
  • Memory seat on drivers
  • Leather seat vs the vinyl/cloth in backcountry (which are pretty nice too)
  • 19 speaker vs the 9 speaker Alpine in the backcountry (had both and like both)
  • Better resale value
Both have LED lights, level B luxury, leather like stitched dash (comes with tech package on bighorn), blind spot monitor, off road group, night, etc. I'm at the price point I want to be so I don’t want to add more to the Laramie, even though I’d like the bed utility group. I like the looks of both, although I will say the Laramie blacked out grill area and black door handles to look nicer than the Backcountry, IMO. Again, what am I maybe missing?

John Galt

Reaction score
look at it this way - which would you rather have? In my view the price difference between 51k and 54k is not that much. $3k difference on a $50k vehicle is not a huge deal. Buy the one that’ll put a bigger smile on your face every time you get in….

You can’t change trim levels after you buy it.

Dewey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I like my BackCountry but with that price I’d have to go with the Laramie. Hard to pass that 23% off deal. Your getting much more truck for your money. My last two trucks were Laramie’s and the interior is no doubt much nicer on them.

Last edited:

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Is the vented seats available w/ the backcountry trim? That alone is worth its weight in gold on a hot day. I would also go ahead and add the BUG thats worth it. Better off going aftermarket for the tonneau cover too theres better options out there. Deployable step is real nice but can be added after without to much hassle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

SkittleRam

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I would say the Laramie if I was in the same situation. I love love my Bighorn, but I hate not have a power passenger seat.

Dewey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Is the vented seats available w/ the backcountry trim? That alone is worth its weight in gold on a hot day. I would also go ahead and add the BUG thats worth it. Better off going aftermarket for the tonneau cover too theres better options out there. Deployable step is real nice but can be added after without to much hassle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
No vented seats available on BC

arod412

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I had a 2020 Laramie then traded it in for my 2022 back country.

Something else to think about....Laramie can get the ramboxes. I lucked out that I was able to order my back country early on with rambox. It's not available for any bighorn trim.

Also...the Laramie rear seats recline just a little...compared to the back seats of the back country.

Lastly, the seats. Although the Laramie seats are ventilated, the ends started to wear down and small bend/cracks started to show up after 2k miles. Now I'm short 5-7 , or I had to slide off of the seats which didn't help. NY back country vinyl/cloth seats I LOVE because the cloth is right where you need it to be to give you extra comfort. No issues after 6800 miles. I have pics to show you what I mean about the seat.

2022 Ram Big Horn Back Country
2016 Dodge Charger scat pack
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara

deanno33

Reaction score

Hey arod...hardly seems like it's going on 2 years since we were waiting on our Backcountry trucks to arrive. I'm now over 31,000 miles on mine. I agree, the seats are really nice on the Backcountry. I didn't have any issues on my 2020 Laramie but I know some others did. Good point on the reclining back seat thing, I forgot about that.

I like my BackCountry but with that price I’d have to go with the Laramie. Hard to pass that 23% off deal. Your getting much more truck for your money.

This is what I'm trying to figure out. It almost seems like you get more truck for the money if you start with the Backcountry and then add stuff on. But, in couple / few years will it is still a Bighorn and the Laramie will likely hold more value. I'm leaning Laramie for that reason, and I like the front end better. The sport hood on the Laramie night is also growing on me.

arod412

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I know…it’s been a min…lol. Is there anything you don’t like about the back country? If I remember with some of our old conversations, you like the off-road package with the bigger fuel tank

I think ram is going to announce something on the 10th…would not be surprised if they are going to put out the twin turbo . Something to think about.

For me, I’m holding out until 2024-2025 and the ev ram. I might get a lot of flack for going ev, but after getting my solar panels, I want to setup a level 2 Charger, and go electric in my next vehicle. Range seems to be better then the other makers…I’m just worried about price. If the base sticker is over $60k then it’s not gonna happen. The truck seems like the best choice to give up…because the Charger will stay with me until I die…hahaha.

2022 Ram 1500 Back Country
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara (wife)

millerbjm

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Something else to think about....Laramie can get the ramboxes. I lucked out that I was able to order my back country early on with rambox. It's not available for any bighorn trim.

Also...the Laramie rear seats recline just a little...compared to the back seats of the back country.

Lastly, the seats. Although the Laramie seats are ventilated, the ends started to wear down and small bend/cracks started to show up after 2k miles. Now I'm short 5-7 , or I had to slide off of the seats which didn't help. NY back country vinyl/cloth seats I LOVE because the cloth is right where you need it to be to give you extra comfort. No issues after 6800 miles. I have pics to show you what I mean about the seat.

Just a heads-up that the rear seats in 2023 Laramies no longer recline... this was one of a few 'downgrades' on the 2023 with another being they no longer include fender flares.

arod412

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Oh man that sucks. I also remember a post a while back that if you get halogen headlights on a Laramie, you get some kind of credit too.

Personally for me deann…. For that price range…you approaching a bare bones rebel package. Find out what the rebates on those. Just add the tow package, level 1 group with the night package.
(Comes with a 12in screen).

2022 Ram 1500 Back Country
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara (wife)

arod412

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Going to add just another layer to this dean...lol. what does inventory look like in your area. Check out any full loaded trucks...and see if you can beat them up with pricing a little for a fully loaded Laramie. Things like the tow package, you can add, and make them throw it into the deal.

Right now inventory in my area has picked up and some good deals can be made...but if your going to order...let the dealer know your going to order somewhere else....use all the leverage you can get. I know dealers are pressing to sell more.

Trippi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm contemplating ordering a new truck from MD. I'm a little torn between the two builds below. Unless I'm missing something (which is likely) the Backcountry seems to be a better value. But, I'm guessing resale will always be better on the Laramie. I understand this is all personal preference, but what am I maybe not thinking of?

The Backcountry (Silver, Level B, premium light group, tech package, blind spot, trailer brake controls, 9 amplified Alpine system, rear under seat storage, rear wheel liners):
MSRP – 64,430
Mark – 57,021
All incentives 6,000
Price – 51,021 +$425 +$4

The Laramie (silver, level B, night package, off road group, rear wheel liners, all weather mats):
MSRP $70,545
Mark Dodge 13% $9171
RAM Standalone 10% offer $7055
Combined $54,319 +$425 +$4

The backcountry would have over the Laramie:
  • Bed Utility group
  • Deploying bed step
  • Tonneau cover
  • Tech Package
  • Trailer brake controller
The Laramie would have over the backcountry:
  • Power passenger seat
  • Memory seat on drivers
  • Leather seat vs the vinyl/cloth in backcountry (which are pretty nice too)
  • 19 speaker vs the 9 speaker Alpine in the backcountry (had both and like both)
  • Better resale value
Both have LED lights, level B luxury, leather like stitched dash (comes with tech package on bighorn), blind spot monitor, off road group, night, etc. I'm at the price point I want to be so I don’t want to add more to the Laramie, even though I’d like the bed utility group. I like the looks of both, although I will say the Laramie blacked out grill area and black door handles to look nicer than the Backcountry, IMO. Again, what am I maybe missing?
Power memory seats and the better stereo would be enough for me...that's what gets your resale value. People want those things in a used vehicle because they quickly realize that they missed out originally...case in point. LOL! Never once used my trailer brake controller in my rebel. Preferred my leather seats to my brother's cloth. BUG and Bed Step are easy adds. Just depends on what you personally can't live without...or would prefer to not spend money on as soon as you get the truck. I would lean Laramie.

moosem

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My personal preference is the Laramie. Although, I did seriously consider ordering a BackCountry. Ultimately, I didn’t like the look of the shiny black bumpers. In my opinion, they should have made them matte black instead.

deanno33

Reaction score
My personal preference is the Laramie. Although, I did seriously consider ordering a BackCountry. Ultimately, I didn’t like the look of the shiny black bumpers. In my opinion, they should have made them matte black instead.
I agree with you on the bumpers...and will add that they chip very easy.

Nobody in the Midwest will come close to Mark Dodge. The closest is Granger in IA but still not as good. I'm in Wisconsin.

Malodave

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I ordered my Laramie with Night Edition and ORG. The Rest of the Build is in my Signature below.

Malodave

2021RAMLaramie-LEER-122_1.jpg

deanno33

Reaction score
Appreciate the insight from everyone. Leaning team Laramie. I really wish someone closer to the Midwest would come close to MD prices. I think they are amazing to deal with, but the distance stinks.

moosem

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I agree with you on the bumpers...and will add that they chip very easy.

Nobody in the Midwest will come close to Mark Dodge. The closest is Granger in IA but still not as good. I'm in Wisconsin.
The paint chipping is an issue on all trucks with painted bumpers. I learned my lesson with my 2019 BH, so I had PPF put on my new truck. It does have a few chips in the PPF itself but it’s way better than my old truck. I only had the bumper done because that’s where the majority of the chips were on my 2019.

arod412

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The paint chipping is an issue on all trucks with painted bumpers. I learned my lesson with my 2019 BH, so I had PPF put on my new truck. It does have a few chips in the PPF itself but it’s way better than my old truck. I only had the bumper done because that’s where the majority of the chips were on my 2019.
Definitely need that all Steele bumper that the rebel has...or something similar.

Users who are viewing this thread