5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

TRX sold @ auction 20% over MSRP

soSincerious

Reaction score
Just thought I'd share for some laughs.
Truck is basically new, 52 miles, and plastic wrap still on the interior.

Sticker is 78,880. Sold for (roughly) 96,250 after buyers fee and shipping.

20210218_090921.jpg 20210218_090948.jpg

AdamChandler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
a fool and their money, right? I'm an opportunist. If I knew these things would go 20K over sticker, I probably would have done the same..pre-order then sell it for over. People flip cars all of the time. Is it morally right? No but that's capitalism.

Some car companies like Ford & Porsche are tracking this with their limited cars. Didn't a celeb get in trouble for selling his FordGT before the 2 years was up he had to own the car before flipping it?

Snofire

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Some car companies like Ford & Porsche are tracking this with their limited cars. Didn't a celeb get in trouble for selling his FordGT before the 2 years was up he had to own the car before flipping it?

I believe that was The Rock who got nailed for that.

piening2150

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I believe that was The Rock who got nailed for that.
John Cena

There was a launch edition TRX locally for 10k over MSRP. If I was going to overpay for a 100k truck, I would at least go for one of those.

Captain Obvious

Reaction score
Dang, my dealer was going to sell me a preorder TRX at 1% under invoice (our standard deal), but he didn't get any allocation. Boo.

Checkairspeed

Reaction score
a fool and their money, right? I'm an opportunist. If I knew these things would go 20K over sticker, I probably would have done the same..pre-order then sell it for over. People flip cars all of the time. Is it morally right? No but that's capitalism.

Not to poke, but what does morality have to do with making a profit in a capitalistic market? Nobody forcing someone to pay a premium over sticker. The market price is what the market will bear. No morality involved in an item that is pure extravagance. Now , 20K over for a base Tradesman, that’s immoral!

AdamChandler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Not to poke, but what does morality have to do with making a profit in a capitalistic market? Nobody forcing someone to pay a premium over sticker. The market price is what the market will bear. No morality involved in an item that is pure extravagance. Now , 20K over for a base Tradesman, that’s immoral!

Well, look at all of the hate PS5 scalpers are getting right now. They game the system by purchasing the consoles with software bots before humans can click "buy now" and then immediately put them on eBay for 100% markup.

Basically, the argument against this behavior is you're an ******* if you buy a limited thing with the intention of selling it. My view is, people need to agree to not buy from scalpers / opportunists meaning if the truck sold out, don't pay someone 20% over just so you can have it. It's not a life saving drug, it's a truck. but enough people seem to be okay with flaunting on instagram therefore making these things "scalpable" I'm not anti scalping, but some people are.

Checkairspeed

Reaction score
Well, look at all of the hate PS5 scalpers are getting right now. They game the system by purchasing the consoles with software bots before humans can click "buy now" and then immediately put them on eBay for 100% markup.

Basically, the argument against this behavior is you're an ******* if you buy a limited thing with the intention of selling it. My view is, people need to agree to not buy from scalpers / opportunists meaning if the truck sold out, don't pay someone 20% over just so you can have it. It's not a life saving drug, it's a truck. but enough people seem to be okay with flaunting on instagram therefore making these things "scalpable" I'm not anti scalping, but some people are.
I get the hate regarding situations like the PS5. I think all people should get a fair “chance” at buying; no matter what the product. But, if people weren’t willing to pay 100% markup, the eBay situation would not exist. Sony will make more consoles, you just may have to wait and not have it immediately to purchase at a more “normal“ price.
With the limited number of TRXs initially available, it was inevitable this situation would occur. So, those that really wanted one and couldn’t get an order have a choice; pay a premium or wait.
If we were talking about a pharmaceutical manufacturer price gouging, that enters a different and possibly “moral” territory. In the end, I like you, would like to see those that want a TRX get a shot at owning one without the gouging. I also think this situation is a commentary on the “Look at me” and “I want it now!” culture we live in. Unfortunately this behavior seems to be increasingly prevalent.

Nukegm426

Reaction score
Chrysler used to have a policy of not giving allocations to dealers that overcharged for limited edition vehicles. Guess it’s not enforced anymore.

soSincerious

Reaction score
are TRX's impossible to order?

why not find a dealer that will sell for MSRP, and have it shipped? tell the dealer to keep it in the plastic and you'll peel it yourself. (have them still do any calibrations / electronics setup needed during PDI)

dts828

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Not that I would pay it but all in all not too bad of a deal when compared to the markup some dealers are trying to charge . This auction price at least included the auction fees and the shipping for that price.

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

HeliPilot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I think if you actually call and speak to the dealer, you will find that the discount is generic across the ram line-up, and that it will not apply to the TRX. Thats been my experience while searching. Dealers near me in Michigan advertise some of their TRX trucks at employee discount prices. 99% of buyers do not qualify for that. But, they got you to call in and ask about that GREAT price.

Flot

Reaction score
Just today, I stopped at the local dealer to see the TRX they had on the lot.

There was a sharpie-scribbled piece of paper taped next to the window sticker "Market adjust $50,000"

This is why I don't support my local dealer.

trx.jpg

Checkairspeed

Reaction score
Just today, I stopped at the local dealer to see the TRX they had on the lot.

There was a sharpie-scribbled piece of paper taped next to the window sticker "Market adjust $50,000"

This is why I don't support my local dealer.

View attachment 83617
You should post the dealer’s name....FCA might be interested.

Users who are viewing this thread