5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Truxedo Truxport - tension and seal

Sooliman

Reaction score
So, I’ve installed, and reinstalled, and resealed the bulkhead, and reinstalled the Truxport Tonneau.
My opinion is that it’s an inch too short. My other opinion is that no matter what you do, the pre-loaded tension is just too strong. The new design is not adjustable for the tension. Anyone else have any issues, or did they just fabricate mine poorly? Also, the tailgate seal at the top is minimal, and the sides will definitely invite water intrusion. Again, any thoughts?

Goatmann

Ram Guru
Reaction score
What does TruXedo have to say about your issue? I’d send it back and get the lowpro.

Sooliman

Reaction score
I’m going to call them tomorrow and see what they say. I had a low-pro previously, loved it, but it leaked quite a bit, more as time went on. I just feel like this fabrication on the Truxport isn’t quite right for our trucks yet.

firecadet613

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I hear you about it being a tad to short.

I bought a Truxport for my 2014 F150 and it fit on my 2016. I got the measurements from Truxedo for that one, the 2016 F150s and the 2019 Rams. The 2019 Ram one was about 3/4" shorter than the 2014 F150 cover. I sold the cover off my Ford and bought the one specifically for the 2019 Ram.

I got it to fit, barely. What I learned from my two F150s is you need to tweak it. Now that I've did that, it's 99.9% waterproof, even in the high pressure car wash. I can't recall if I needed to use 2 bulkhead seals at the front of the bed on the Ram, but I know I did on one of the F150s. On the tailgate side, the little corner pieces, I doubled mine up so it's twice as thick. The seal on the tailgate is barely touching it, just enough so the auto open tailgate works only 50% of the time (I'd rather have a waterproof bed then 100% auto open tailgate which I rarely use).

Get some black caulk or RTV for anywhere you see light from the inside. That helps a ton!

Goatmann

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’m going to call them tomorrow and see what they say. I had a low-pro previously, loved it, but it leaked quite a bit, more as time went on. I just feel like this fabrication on the Truxport isn’t quite right for our trucks yet.

I had one on my ‘15 Ecodiesel, it only leaked at the tailgate. The new one I bought 3 weeks ago seals much better than the prior one have not had any water intrusion. I am very impressed and pleased.

bdm219

Reaction score
I had this same problem when I installed mine. I also said it's like an inch too short. I pulled it back from the cab, it seemed like too far back, just so that it would seal on top of the tailgate. I've had this same brand/model on other trucks w/o any issue. I have managed to get it aligned best I could. It does keep the bulk of rain out, but it leaks a little more at the bulkhead than it did on my other trucks. This was the version for the 6 lug '19.

Closing it requires a little effort. Just widen your grip like the instructions show. I don't have any issues getting mine to latch.

rrlorentzen

Reaction score
I have a truxedo lopro and it is pretty tight. I had to move the adjustment screws all the way out in order to close it. I installed it on a 15 degree day in the snow so I assumed it just needed to be broken in and would stretch a little. The lip on the inside of the tailgate hits the cover which makes it little difficult to close the tailgate. I haven't noticed any major leaking, probably less than my '09 with a truxedo.

Users who are viewing this thread