5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Truxedo Sentry Fit

SirGeeks

Reaction score
I just put my new Truxedo Sentry cover on my Ram 1500 with Rambox. Everything appears to fit just fine with the exception of the back end. My understanding with the Sentry was that it was supposed to be a latching cover that can only be opened from the inside with the tailgate down. However, I can easily slide my hand in and pull the latch release cord with the tailgate up and locked. Is there some adjustment that I'm missing to get it to sit lower onto the tailgate? The whole point of getting the Sentry was to have a cover that was difficult to open with the tailgate locked. Currently with how its installed it doesn't provide any security.

Has anyone else experienced this issue?

geotex1

Reaction score
Unfortunately, this is typical. Hard covers, whether a roll up like yours or a tri-fold, are all easily defeated at the tailgate. Most roll ups are flexible enough so your hand can get under it. More rigid tri-folds just need a hook out of thin metal or wire. For real bed security in a tonneau, you're looking at few options such as a 1-piece locking fiberglass, a Diamondback, and there's another company, whose name I forget, that makes a reinforced polymer, split lid where the front third is an integrated toolbox and the rear two-thirds a removable hatch. Everything else is really weather protection to varying degrees of effectiveness and keeping honest people honest...

LouCap

Reaction score
The Pace Edwards Full Metal Jackrabbit should provide more security. I had one on my last truck and it's a beast. The positives are the added security the key lock provides, metal construction, and the multiple locking positions. The negatives are the cost and the canister that hangs into the bed. With a 6'4" bed it's probably not much of an issue, but with the 5'7" you might feel like you've lost some capacity because it hangs down about 1' into the front of the bed.

Last edited:

SirGeeks

Reaction score
Thanks for the responses. I reached out to Truxedo and they believe that the rails can go down further to snug it up more at the tailgate. I'll try tonight to see if I can get them to move lower. I'll be happy if it was tight to the tailgate and you would need some sort of tool to pop the latch cord. That tells me that if someone does break in its probably pre-meditated and there isn't much I'm going to do about that. Its the casual passer-by that could pop it open that I'd like to prevent.

I had looked at covers similar to the Jackrabbit. They're great but they do take up a lot of space. I liked the ease of removing the sentry cover roll if I ever did need the space.

reggiejp3

Reaction score
I have the extang exceed tri fold that has a cam you have to turn to fold the first row, so you can’t just pull the wire and it’s a rigid panel. I feel a big crowbar would defeat the latch anyway but it’s a pretty good cover to keep most out.

Ram92131

Reaction score
I just put my new Truxedo Sentry cover on my Ram 1500 with Rambox. Everything appears to fit just fine with the exception of the back end. My understanding with the Sentry was that it was supposed to be a latching cover that can only be opened from the inside with the tailgate down. However, I can easily slide my hand in and pull the latch release cord with the tailgate up and locked. Is there some adjustment that I'm missing to get it to sit lower onto the tailgate? The whole point of getting the Sentry was to have a cover that was difficult to open with the tailgate locked. Currently with how its installed it doesn't provide any security.

Has anyone else experienced this issue?
I have the Sentry CT. I have no gap like you described. Maybe the brackets that hold it to the bed rails are incorrectly installed so that it sits too high?

SirGeeks

Reaction score
@Ram92131
After working with Truxedo directly, I'm kind of at my wits end. I basically ended up with a response of 'thats the way it is with a rambox'. Would it be possible for you to post some pictures of your tailgate with the top latched down and then the underside by the latch to show how the rails fit on top of the silver BUG rails?

I'm pretty close to attempting to return the darn thing. Its too expensive to have a crappy fit. If I wanted a crappy fit, I would have saved half my money and just got cheap roll up one.

Ram92131

Reaction score
@Ram92131
After working with Truxedo directly, I'm kind of at my wits end. I basically ended up with a response of 'thats the way it is with a rambox'. Would it be possible for you to post some pictures of your tailgate with the top latched down and then the underside by the latch to show how the rails fit on top of the silver BUG rails?

I'm pretty close to attempting to return the darn thing. Its too expensive to have a crappy fit. If I wanted a crappy fit, I would have saved half my money and just got cheap roll up one.

Sorry for the long delay in replying. Hopefully it isn't too late. Here are some pics of my installation. It fits pretty well. If I recall correctly, the bracket placement was a little confusing at first. Hope this helps!

Attachments

• IMG_4188.JPG
    IMG_4188.JPG
    160.1 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_0566.JPG
    IMG_0566.JPG
    141.5 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_2042.JPG
    IMG_2042.JPG
    137.4 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_8383.JPG
    IMG_8383.JPG
    138.6 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_9648.JPG
    IMG_9648.JPG
    137.6 KB · Views: 99

SirGeeks

Reaction score
Sorry for the long delay in replying. Hopefully it isn't too late. Here are some pics of my installation. It fits pretty well. If I recall correctly, the bracket placement was a little confusing at first. Hope this helps!

Thanks for the photos. I ended up removing the spacers so velcro rail isn't level and angles quite a bit inside towards the bed. However, the cover seems to be more snug this way and it doesn't appear to have much affect on the overall fit.

Users who are viewing this thread