5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Truetrac w/traction control

gotonenow

Reaction score
Good afternoon,

Does anyone have experience with a Truetrac and traction control?

My situation, I've driven a Duramax for almost 20 years now a 2020 Ram Hemi 1500 4x4. I routinely have to pull off half off pavement to open gate to property. I had replaced a broken G80 on the Dmax with True trac, it had no traction control and worked seamlessly. Tire off pavement would spin some, power would transfer to side on pavement and away we'd go.

I assumed the traction control open/diff on this Ram would be able to handle this type situation, turns out not so much. Took nearly 30 seconds to get full back on road the other day. Non stop cycle of wheel spins in dirt, cuts power, brakes wheel in dirt, wheel on pavement would turn a few inches then repeat. Seems to work as intended, and I understand what it's doing. Just seems to be either--too aggressive or not aggressive enough to actually work for me here. Iol

So question is, what happens with Truetrac when traction control stops the wheel spin? If it can't spin faster it won't transfer power.

Thanks.

Ramroo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If you have an open diff - no limited slip (true trac)or locker, you will have to put in 4WD High or 4WD Low to help a lot. If not, your rear diff is a BLD (brake locking differential) which is a little better than just open diff. Turn traction control off. Slow steady power.

Traction Control will not help off road. In ANY situation (2WD or 4WD), turn it off.

If have 4WD, put in 4H, turn Traction Control off with toggle, 4L does it automatically

Last edited:

darkodonny

Reaction score
The Truetrac is proactive vs reactive and wants to keep both wheels spinning as the same or similar speed, up to a 3:1 ratio. If you power through the 3:1 ratio, one wheel receiving more then 70% of the power, the Truetrac becomes an open differential. Hopefully the brake limiting traction control has starting kicking in by then and slows down the spinning wheel that has all the power enough to engage the non spinning wheel. On flat ground the system works really well. The issues with a Truetrac come in when you start lifting tires in the air.

darkodonny

Reaction score
I believe you are thinking about the G80. It does need something like 180rpm to engage, but it’s locked at that point unlike a true limited slip.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Good afternoon,

Does anyone have experience with a Truetrac and traction control?

My situation, I've driven a Duramax for almost 20 years now a 2020 Ram Hemi 1500 4x4. I routinely have to pull off half off pavement to open gate to property. I had replaced a broken G80 on the Dmax with True trac, it had no traction control and worked seamlessly. Tire off pavement would spin some, power would transfer to side on pavement and away we'd go.

I assumed the traction control open/diff on this Ram would be able to handle this type situation, turns out not so much. Took nearly 30 seconds to get full back on road the other day. Non stop cycle of wheel spins in dirt, cuts power, brakes wheel in dirt, wheel on pavement would turn a few inches then repeat. Seems to work as intended, and I understand what it's doing. Just seems to be either--too aggressive or not aggressive enough to actually work for me here. Iol

So question is, what happens with Truetrac when traction control stops the wheel spin? If it can't spin faster it won't transfer power.

Thanks.
Try less throttle input.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online