5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Truck wont stay "asleep"

satcomtim

Reaction score
New symptom today. 3rd brake cargo lamp comes on randomly and turns on and never turns off every time you lock the truck. It’s off, you lock, it’s on. Dash indicator light for cargo lamp comes on when light comes on.

I’ve also timed the sleep cycle. It sleeps for 48 seconds, on for 30, sleeps for 48, repeat.

jl13

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Curious what you find out and if it was more than the battery. Thanks
wow your truck seem to be one of those extreme cases, hope you are able to figure things out.
Got mine back from the dealer, after talking to the service adviser I don't think they check my concern and just went straight for the battery.
'battery failed the GR-8 battery load test and was replaced.
So my observations after getting it back.
the dash cluster, center back console usb ports come on, on a loop, this seems to be the case only when the fob is nearby
In 1 1/2 year of ownership the fobs were often left close to the truck so this seems to have just started happening because I find it hard to believe that up until now I didn't notice this was happening.
I am gonna go ahead and order one of those faraday boxes as some one mentioned.
Is there any recommendations or any cheap kind would do? I see them from $10 and up.
I will also keep an eye out for a few days to see if pattern stays the same

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
wow your truck seem to be one of those extreme cases, hope you are able to figure things out.
Got mine back from the dealer, after talking to the service adviser I don't think they check my concern and just went straight for the battery.
So my observations after getting it back.
the dash cluster, center back console usb ports come on, on a loop, this seems to be the case only when the fob is nearby
In 1 1/2 year of ownership the fobs were often left close to the truck so this seems to have just started happening because I find it hard to believe that up until now I didn't notice this was happening.
I am gonna go ahead and order one of those faraday boxes as some one mentioned.
Is there any recommendations or any cheap kind would do? I see them from $10 and up.
I will also keep an eye out for a few days to see if pattern stays the same
Aluminum foil works well for me.

satcomtim

Reaction score
This is exactly why I went ahead and replaced the battery today. Figured when/if I take it to the dealer thats the first thing they would say.

Really sounds like you and I are having exactly the same/similar issue.

I know this just started happening last week as I work in a secure facility and I come out and sit in the truck every so often to check personal emails and what not on my phone. Truck has always stayed off (i.e. not cycling) but last week it started this cycling. Yes the fob and my phone are in the truck, but this has always been the case, but this cycling behavior just started. I'm afraid, based on previous experiences, its going to get stuck at the dealer and by the time they look at it the battery will be dead and they just say it's a bad battery. Hoping by putting one in today I can counter that conclusion.

jl13

Ram Guru
Reaction score
2 days after battery was replaced by dealer.
Screen, dash and lights started flickering on my way back home from work. Hope this is a fluke

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
2 days after battery was replaced by dealer.
Screen, dash and lights started flickering on my way back home from work. Hope this is a fluke
do you have a dash mat? it could be covering the sensor that controls the auto function?

does it still do this when you take the headlights out of auto?

try moving the dimmer switch a small amount

satcomtim

Reaction score
Ok, I have pulled every fuse under the dash and under the hood (in groups of 2-4 fuses) and at no point did the cycling stop. Yes, when dash display fuse was out it didn’t light up and you heard the slight wake up pop in the audio.

At this point I think it’s the can bus itself??? I get a random ‘U0010-00 Can Interior Bus’ error.

Think I’ll get the alldata service manual and trace out the can lines. I do have this white/gray/blue/gray wire that is disconnected and not sure what it’s for.

Attachments

• 664412A7-5072-4EBD-BFE9-4CDB22A53017.jpeg
    664412A7-5072-4EBD-BFE9-4CDB22A53017.jpeg
    163.8 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
Ok, I have pulled every fuse under the dash and under the hood (in groups of 2-4 fuses) and at no point did the cycling stop. Yes, when dash display fuse was out it didn’t light up and you heard the slight wake up pop in the audio.

At this point I think it’s the can bus itself??? I get a random ‘U0010-00 Can Interior Bus’ error.

Think I’ll get the alldata service manual and trace out the can lines. I do have this white/gray/blue/gray wire that is disconnected and not sure what it’s for.
that wire might be a dealer installed tracking device.

satcomtim

Reaction score
I think I have it FIXED!!!!!

I bought the alldata 1-yr subscription and to learn about how the layout worked I checked out the connector that was replaced back in June for my taillight staying on. Found it has can bus lines in it. Went out and pulled connector apart and it was full of water. With connector disconnected I am no longer getting my 48s/30s/48s... cycle. I spray it with contact cleaner and letting it dry and after UGA beats Oregon this afternoon I'll go put it back together and report back.

Attachments

• IMG_1371 copy.jpg
    IMG_1371 copy.jpg
    151.8 KB · Views: 43
  • Screen Shot 2022-09-03 at 2.40.05 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-09-03 at 2.40.05 PM.png
    153.6 KB · Views: 43
  • Screen Shot 2022-09-03 at 2.44.22 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-09-03 at 2.44.22 PM.png
    471.5 KB · Views: 43

jl13

Ram Guru
Reaction score
do you have a dash mat? it could be covering the sensor that controls the auto function?

does it still do this when you take the headlights out of auto?

try moving the dimmer switch a small amount
No dash mount, no flickering today. Hoping it was a fluke. It also did it on the day i jump started the truck and drop it off at the dealer. So once with the original battery and once with the new battery.

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
I think I have it FIXED!!!!!

I bought the alldata 1-yr subscription and to learn about how the layout worked I checked out the connector that was replaced back in June for my taillight staying on. Found it has can bus lines in it. Went out and pulled connector apart and it was full of water. With connector disconnected I am no longer getting my 48s/30s/48s... cycle. I spray it with contact cleaner and letting it dry and after UGA beats Oregon this afternoon I'll go put it back together and report back.
nice

satcomtim

Reaction score
After confirming this was the issue I bought 3 new wiring harnesses and used silicone self sealing tape and 33+ electrical tape on all exposed areas. She's all good now. No clue how I've gone through 2 of wirings in 3 months, but hopefully they are sealed well enough for it not to happen again.

Parts:
68488850AB WIRING. Jumper. Tail Lamp. Left.
68489300AA WIRING. Jumper. Tail Lamp.
68365711AB WIRING. Bin, Door Lock Actuator. Left.

IMG_1557 copy.jpg

clark2649

Reaction score
So I am no help here. 2019 RAM 1500 Laramie (5th) I have the same issue going on right now. Battery died couple months ago - bought a new one, charged it, everything fine for a couple days. Then the battery died. FYI, I don't drive everyday, maybe every 2 or 3. Battery is good, I've tested it. I've done the negative battery terminal with multimeter test - pulling fuses in both boxes - nothing found. I've done across the fuse testing also, nothing found. Truck keeps cycling on every 2-3 mins, then off. I have an appt with the dealer next week, we'll see how that goes. For now, it's on trickle. Would appreciate any info.

Users who are viewing this thread