5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Truck won't start, just cranks and spits and sputters sometimes

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Truck won't start, just cranks and spits and sputters sometimes. It acts like the fuel pump isn't running. The only thing I did was add the factory bed lights. Those work fine. But now the truck just won't start. And yes, I've triple checked the connections to the BCM and everything is good. No faults reported in AlfaODB.

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You added lights and right after it won't start?

vincentw56

Reaction score
Yep, removed them and still won't start. It's really weird. I didn't disconnect anything else.

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
Truck won't start, just cranks and spits and sputters sometimes. It acts like the fuel pump isn't running. The only thing I did was add the factory bed lights. Those work fine. But now the truck just won't start. And yes, I've triple checked the connections to the BCM and everything is good. No faults reported in AlfaODB.
please tell us what you have

vincentw56

Reaction score
please tell us what you have
2020 BH eTorque. It starts just a little then dies. It never fully starts. Using remote start makes it almost start. I'm going to remove the pulsar tomorrow just to rule that out and then double check that I didn't disconnect something which I'm sure I didn't. I just zip tired the wires up like the instructions said. It was a simple install.

skyhawk42

Reaction score
When you did the ground for the lights on the frame did you put it on a bolt with other grounds or by itself? Check to be sure everything back there is solid. I would also make sure the bcm connectors are fully seated. Sometimes they feel locked in place but aren’t in all of the way.

vincentw56

Reaction score
When you did the ground for the lights on the frame did you put it on a bolt with other grounds or by itself? Check to be sure everything back there is solid. I would also make sure the bcm connectors are fully seated. Sometimes they feel locked in place but aren’t in all of the way.
I put it on the frame with other wires. The BCM connectors are solid. I pulled on them and they are connected. I'll check the ground tomorrow, but the lights work great.

skyhawk42

Reaction score
Not sure where the fuel pump gets it’s ground, but might be worth a look since there are other grounds back there where you added yours.

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Check grounds.

Find the fuse box under the hood, open it and make sure all the relays, the black square things, in there are pressed down firmly. I'll guarantee you a few are loose. Check the nuts on all the wires going out and make sure all of those are tight as well. If there's still nothing check and charge/replace the battery.

Users who are viewing this thread