5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Truck won’t start.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I thought he said he took it out and bench tested it. I must've missed where he said he replaced it
I know he said he was getting a new starter, but I don’t know if he actually replaced it

ironman8282

Reaction score
I know he said he was getting a new starter, but I don’t know if he actually replaced it
Yes I replaced the starter I did bench test the old one even had o Reilly’s load test it but I put a new one in anyways.

ironman8282

Reaction score
Hey djevox you might have some insight on this so I have been watching the volt gauge since yesterday while I’m driving and yesterday cruising around it holds at 14 sometimes would dip to 13.8 then come back up but today it’s been stove cold on 13.6 all day hasn’t come up to 14 or higher I’ve read where most people say their truck shows 14.5 ish I’m just wondering if I have other electrical issues going on

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Hey djevox you might have some insight on this so I have been watching the volt gauge since yesterday while I’m driving and yesterday cruising around it holds at 14 sometimes would dip to 13.8 then come back up but today it’s been stove cold on 13.6 all day hasn’t come up to 14 or higher I’ve read where most people say their truck shows 14.5 ish I’m just wondering if I have other electrical issues going on
Technically, that’s not a problem since standard charging is acceptable at 13.6-15.6V. The other question is whether you have a bad diode or something in the alternator. There’s lots of unknowns at this point, you just have to get a good wiring diagram and theory of operation on the charging circuit and use a methodical approach to troubleshooting.

ironman8282

Reaction score
Technically, that’s not a problem since standard charging is acceptable at 13.6-15.6V. The other question is whether you have a bad diode or something in the alternator. There’s lots of unknowns at this point, you just have to get a good wiring diagram and theory of operation on the charging circuit and use a methodical approach to troubleshooting.
I have a buddy of mine that works for a dealership in North Carolina and he’s getting me some good materials so hopefully can start going through this thing and nail something down instead of just having anxiety every time I park and shut it off lol

ironman8282

Reaction score
The main concern is I need to get this figured out because my whipple supercharger kit gets delivered next week ! Not going to put it on until I have confidence again with it

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The main concern is I need to get this figured out because my whipple supercharger kit gets delivered next week ! Not going to put it on until I have confidence again with it
That’s a very good plan. If your friend at the dealer is a mechanic, then you can’t beat having him around when you’re troubleshooting.

Users who are viewing this thread