5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Truck won’t start

warvet

Reaction score
***gave an update in posts 14 & 15***

Went to start truck and stupidly turned the knob to drive before the truck started. Truck didn’t start, brake activated. Now the brake is “tight” as if it believes i turned my truck off while drive and E brake is on

I had to run in to work so I’ll go back later. Any idea? I keep trying but it will not start.

Last edited:

ramhead

Reaction score
I didn't think it was possible to turn the knob to Drive before truck was started - thought the knob is "locked out" and not able to be turned to that position. Did you have door open/no seat belt on? - I believe that will result in the autobrake being activated...but usually the knob auto returns to "Park".

Last edited:

Gusman4

Reaction score
I can not turn my shift knob until engine is started. It also puts it back in park if I turn truck off before putting in park.

warvet

Reaction score
I can not turn my shift knob until engine is started. It also puts it back in park if I turn truck off before putting in park.
Yeah I’m talking to dealer. What u did was turn truck off when it was in drive. I do it by mistake a lot. But this time the parking brake won’t disengage and shifter won’t turn. It’s as if it thinks the truck is still in drive

warvet

Reaction score
Yep that’s what it did. Put it in park and turned on E brake cuz I turned it off while in drive. It’s stuck there now

Gusman4

Reaction score
Yep that’s what it did. Put it in park and turned on E brake cuz I turned it off while in drive. It’s stuck there now
You could try disconnecting battery for 15 min and see if that resets it so you can at least start it.

ramhead

Reaction score
You could try disconnecting battery for 15 min and see if that resets it so you can at least start it.

Yeah...I was going to suggest the same thing. Worth a shot - that's probably what the dealer will do first anyway to reset computer and see if it clears it. Much better to try on your own first before they have a tow truck driver manhandle it up on & off a flatbed to take in for service.

warvet

Reaction score
truthfully I think t
truthfully I think that would work. But I'm in the office and called the dealership and road side assistance. When RS gets here, I may tell him to disconnect the battery and see if that works. I had began sweating through my suit lol ..............so, I took the lazy way out and called 1-800-come get this truck

warvet

Reaction score
yeah I left for over an hour and that didnt' work
Just a guess, but taking the key with you for a few minutes will make the truck shut "off" if it really thinks it's still "on."

I wouldn't disconnect the battery. Too much stuff gets reset.

Just a guess, but taking the key with you for a few minutes will make the truck shut "off" if it really thinks it's still "on."

I wouldn't disconnect the battery. Too much stuff gets reset.

warvet

Reaction score
Guys, it's stuck in "SafeHold" page 303 of the manual (my opinion). I'm sure it's just a simple reset that's needed. It's saying 'service parking brake' and at one point the brake light was flashing, which according to the manual means it's in brake service mode (page 304)

ClancyO

Reaction score
There is a setting in the infotainment system to release the e-brake for servicing - can you get into that?

warvet

Reaction score
Update. Tow driver used skids under rear tires to get it on the flatbed cuz parking brake was locked. His buddy stopped us as we left and said “let me try something” ...he hooked up a jump box and the dang truck started and he was able to turn off the parking brake. But I decided to bring it to the dealer anyway. They’ll run diagnostics to check it out. The battery is pretty dead from me trying to start it over and over so they’ll going to check it all out. Not sure why the parking brake wouldn’t disengage from the very beginning. BTW, guys learn how to put ur truck in neutral manually. It’s under the parking brake behind a cover. I had to open the manual to show the driver how to do it and it was hard to see that lil lever to push over before pulling the entire black lever out.

I’ll come back tomorrow with an update if I have it back. We were able to drive it off the truck but a few lights were illuminated on screen like adaptive cruise, etc.
Thanks for all the tips

warvet

Reaction score
Final update: they replaced the battery. Said mine was bad. I can’t explain the “gremlin” that caused my parking brake not to disengage, truck not to start, etc. The battery was fine. I can admit I kept trying to start it and disengage the brake throughout the morning and that could kill the battery. But initially?? Who knows. But all is well for now.

Users who are viewing this thread